Optima Batteries SEMA 2015 Build

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Good day of progress. All of the seat frame parts are through the tube bender stage and on to the welding jig. I'll post some photos of the finished parts next to the Solidworks model in a few days when I get the rest of the parts from the laser cutter. They just look like boring tube frames at the moment.

I'm sure glad I converted the tube bender to an air/hydraulic set up. This would have been brutal the ol' fashioned way.

Hondaslayer

Adventurer
A 3D printed part would still require a lot of work to get the textured finish right. It might save a couple hours in the process but that's about it.

A couple hours = a couple hundred more into the parts cost ;)

Besides, that's why people have kids. Free labor and their little hands can get into the nooks and crannies.

tienckb

Adventurer
This is a top notch build, the best of everything starting with the fabricator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mgmetalworks

Explorer
The SEMA van's mirror upgrade includes heated glass. To accomplish this in the van, I'm using a momentary-switched, time delay relay with cancel function. In simple terms that means that you press a momentary switch, the mirror glass heaters turn on for a set amount of time (adjustable from 0-30 mins) and you can also press the button again and shut off early if you want. The switch is mounted in an easy to see location on the door panel (from the driver's seat that is)...but somewhat inconspicuous to the rest of the world. The mirrors themselves have indicator lights to let you know that the defrosters are on.

The relay is similar to one of these:
tdr_connections.jpg

http://www.wolstentech.com/products/timedelayrelay/tdr-mc.php

Pretty cool little device actually. This company has a number of different types of relays. I can think of a several cool time delay functions for lights or fans or pumps or ???

Anyway... I was testing out the setup on my bench tonight to adjust the right time delay. Works great! One less thing to worry about. :)

mgmetalworks

Explorer
So my "vacation" from my day job as a corporate servant has begun which can only mean one thing.... OMG I ONLY HAVE A FEW WEEKS TO FINISH THIS PROJECT!!!!

Actually, I'm doing pretty good on timing and the design is so far working out VERY well. I can't see the finish line yet but at least I can visualize what it looks like :)

I picked up the first round of laser cut parts today.

Most of these are related to mounting the seat frame in the van but a couple brackets are for mounting heavy duty drawer slides.

What I'm calling my dolphin bracket and its mates are for the seat's folding mechanism. Here is a rendering of the seat...

And here's the real deal starting to take shape...

The latch works awesomely!!! Aside from a little misalignment of the striker (easily corrected with the milling machine), this works exactly how I planned it in the Solidworks model.

The seat back folds flat, the head panel opens up and folds flat as well. Then there is a slide that comes out the front and another cushion sets on that. Total bed surface is 48" x 80+". The slide out is narrower than the seat base because of the cabinets. It will become clear why I've done this once I post up renderings of the interior.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
As long as I'm here at the computer, I may as well show what I've come up with for the door galley box...

At this point, I'd say the design is 98% locked in. I'm trying to figure out a clever way to add more folding shelf space without making it bulky or cumbersome.

Some details/features of note:
-This would be able to ship to customers as a flat pack. It is completely bolt-together. Look for this as a future product offering (after SEMA van is done) :)
-Weighs right around 30lbs (~30% lighter than competitors door boxes).
-The base panel of the galley is the same shape as the factory door panel recess so the whole thing basically replaces the factory door panel and fits within the factory body lines
-The fold down shelf is roughly 42" off the ground when open (for a 6" Lifted Ujoint van on 35's that is). This is a good standing height counter space and will be made of a cutting board material.
-The sides have the correct size hole patterns for attaching MOLLE style gear bags and accessories.
-Below the bottom shelf is another MOLLE panel that is detachable. I plan to put a fire extinguisher here with a quick release (accessible when door is open or closed) but other things could go here as well.
-Shelves extend into the door up to almost the exterior door skin for added depth. This will require cutting an extended opening in the door but the galley itself will provide a great deal of structure when bolted down so the larger hole in the door doesn't pose a problem. The shelves will also be boxed in so nothing falls into the door.
-The top shelf can be used for just about anything you want to throw up there but there are locations in the galley sides for tying things down if need be.
-Aluminum T-slot extrusions make up part of the structure of this so there are additional items that can be bolted down solid if desired.
-The t-slots could also be good locations for LED strip lights since the slots are on the under side of the shelves
-Stainless steel hardware throughout, the structure is aluminum plate and aluminum extrusion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles