Optima Batteries SEMA 2015 Build

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Let me make some calls Tuesday MG(do you require aerospace certified or not--I never knew of such until last week ;) ). Please send me an email with further details you have.

PS--why are the inside side bolsters a bit wrinkled on this pair? I don't remember mine having those slight wrinkles.

WUzombies

Adventurer
It might be faster and easier to have all the seats done with the same new leather of a very close color, redoing the complete front seats in the process. Like the old saying: fast, cheap or right...you get to pick two. :sombrero:

Jb1rd

Explorer
Try getting in touch with Jonathan Ward at Icon about the leather, his suppliers have top notch materials $$$$$$$$ but amazing!!!! http://www.icon4x4.com/

BTW... We've been trying for weeks to find some leather hides in this exact color to upholster the custom rear bench seat I've designed and it is proving to be very difficult. And by that I mean it might be impossible to find a match in the time we have left. Anyone out there in Expo internet land happen to be or know a custom leather supplier who can get 3 hides of this *exact* material by end of next week? Two weeks max.[/QUOTE]

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Try getting in touch with Jonathan Ward at Icon about the leather, his suppliers have top notch materials $$$$$$$$ but amazing!!!! http://www.icon4x4.com/

BTW... We've been trying for weeks to find some leather hides in this exact color to upholster the custom rear bench seat I've designed and it is proving to be very difficult. And by that I mean it might be impossible to find a match in the time we have left. Anyone out there in Expo internet land happen to be or know a custom leather supplier who can get 3 hides of this *exact* material by end of next week? Two weeks max.
[/QUOTE]

He uses a lot of Benz specific stuff along with material from these guys

https://www.chilewich.com/store

mgmetalworks

Explorer
It might be faster and easier to have all the seats done with the same new leather of a very close color, redoing the complete front seats in the process. Like the old saying: fast, cheap or right...you get to pick two. :sombrero:

This is a consideration on the table. Not a cheap one though.

limatangobravo

Observer
In between all of the big things to do for this project, I still have to find time for the little stuff. Knocked this switch panel out tonight while waiting for my computer to back up files.

Also started prepping for the mirror wiring. I'll save the bulk of that job for when I need to relax and take a break. For whatever reason automotive wiring is like meditation for me. :)

That's funny, automotive wiring for me is like taking Statistics all over again......I will will settle for the "B".

WUzombies

Adventurer
This is a consideration on the table. Not a cheap one though.

Yup, fast and right...cheap gets left behind. I don't envy trying to get this sort of project done on your timeline. It took me 7 years to build my VW.

Cut out doing it right and next thing we know you'll wear a bunch of rings, have a $100 haircut and yell "woo" all the time while staring in your own TV show. :bike_rider:

philos

Explorer
Have you called Keyston Brothers? They have several warehouses here in SoCal. http://www.keystonbros.com/ Make sure to call and talk to a person; they're quite knowledgeable and generally nice folks.
Also, maybe try Foam Mart in Burbank http://www.foammart.com/ They stock a limited supply of upholstery materials as well.

Agreed on getting hold of Jonathan at TLC as a last resort. I'm lucky enough to call him a friend, and he's got his hands in a great many places. A really splendid chap.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
A pile of metal, new blades for the saw and a tube bender make for a productive day.

There are a few pieces to build like the one pictured for the bed/bench seat. Tomorrow I should be able to get through most of seat frame parts and then I'll have to wait for laser cutting parts to show up to finish off the rest of the seat.

Tomorrow will definitely be "Labor" day. :)

arpisme

The problem is that the "masses" would need to be thousands of buyers before it would be even remotely feasible to manufacture these the right way with die casting and injection molding. Ford is in a way better position to take that on than I am.

I think everyone who's interested should email pictures of my van and the SEMA van to as many Ford execs and E-series engineers as we can find and plead with them to update the cut away van mirrors for the remaining years of production.

:)
Have you considered 3D printing as a low volume option? If you can draw it in Solidworks, the hard part is done.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Have you considered 3D printing as a low volume option? If you can draw it in Solidworks, the hard part is done.

A 3D printed part would still require a lot of work to get the textured finish right. It might save a couple hours in the process but that's about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne