Options for round the country trip.

the thing with ambos is most you cant stand in.
Heh, nice thing about being short is that's a non-issue. :)

But yes, the interior height varies greatly between make and models. It's not uncommon to find a 14-foot box that is at least 6', though.

I'm doing an ambo-box conversion on my LMTV (much like CoachGeo).

I had thought about the ambulance but, unfortunately I am 6' 2", and the last thing I want to do is stoop over for a full year, so I'm looking for an absolute minimum 75" finished interior height.

So we've pretty much settled on a box truck. Preferably with a lift-gate (my wife had a great idea of turning that into a "porch"). I'm working up a model right now of the interior layout. I think the main idea of the living space I'll be designing is going to be flexibility. I'm attempting to design something that is easy to convert from sleeping, to cooking, to hanging out, and something that can be lived inside of if need be. Hope to have a model done by this weekend.

Fatboyz

Observer
Are you going to still look for a 4X4 chassis and put a box truck cube on it? I have an old U-haul box on my 550 but interior height will be an issue for you.

Here you go;
I've been watching this thread. Yes this is almost exactly what we're thinking, probably a bit bigger though. I think this was a 10 or 12 foot box and we are looking at something closer to the 14 to 16 foot range.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Terra Ops

Adventurer
I've been watching this thread. Yes this is almost exactly what we're thinking, probably a bit bigger though. I think this was a 10 or 12 foot box and we are looking at something closer to the 14 to 16 foot range.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

If you search You Tube for Ujoint, you can get a good idea of the options and possibilities with 4x4 conversion. I think your looking at a minimum of 20K.

The OP has a kid and a dog. Not sure those options above would be the best choice.

No kid as of today, BUT we are planning this trip with a kid in mind.

Point is to show possible 4x4 conversion options of Ford e series. Personally, I would find a cab and chassis and build the box with composite panels.

This is exactly the plan. We are looking to purchase either a box truck or class c rv on the cheap by this coming fall/winter. Then we will modify it to our needs and use it for the next couple years, changing and working out the kinks for the year long trip. The first stop on our trip will likely be to ujoint to have it converted to 4x4 (if it doesn't get done before then).

I'm leaning towards the box truck just because it's
1. Readily available
2. Cheap
3. More available with a diesel

I don't like that most of the RV's require you to assemble the bed every night. That's not going to cut it for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier