Other things to do on 6g74 01 Sport 138k miles?

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Any other recommended items while the front covers/accessories are off?

1st timing belt was done at 80k and only the T-belt was replaced (at Mitsu dealer).

Here's everything I'm up to:
Ultrasonic cleaning all bolts as they come off, degreasing any other parts
Timing cover gaskets for Right and Bottom covers (Mitsu)
Entire Left Timing Cover (Dealer must have broken it while doing the last timing belt)
Updated crank pulley bolt/washer (Mitsu)
Installing trans cooler exactly like this: http://msport97.proboards.com/thread/7318
Radiator Cap (Mitsu)
Water Pump (Aisin), pulleys (Koyo), timing belt (Gates unless this is a bad idea), tensioner (NTN)
All new foam seals around radiator/ac condenser
PS, AC, Alternator Belt (Mitsuboshi)
Powersteering pump seal kit, only current leak on engine and it's a minor annoying seep (Mitsu)
Spark Plug guide clips (one is broken other is brittle)
Transmission Filter (recently flushed but pan seal is leaking soooooo, Mitsu w SPIII)
All new grill/bumper clips (Mitsu)
Sealing off any minor surface rust (Rustoleum and POR15)

Is it worth it to replace the front cam and crank seals on the 6G74 while doing the timing belt? None of mine are even seeping (138k miles) but they appear pretty accessible.

Anything else you guys can think of? Parts are pretty cheap and I want to get stuff while Mitsu still has the new parts as I plan on keeping this quite awhile. Always been my adventure vehicle so I can take the time to fix it properly and keep it in minty condition.

Last edited:

coffeegoat

Adventurer
Quick question on that trans cooler, are you going to install it inline with stock, or in place of?

I'm curious if I can delete the stock unit on my Gen III montero and replace it with that guy (or similar). It'd move a fragile component a bit more out of harms way and I wouldn't need vents in my skid plate anymore....

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Quick question on that trans cooler, are you going to install it inline with stock, or in place of?

I'm curious if I can delete the stock unit on my Gen III montero and replace it with that guy (or similar). It'd move a fragile component a bit more out of harms way and I wouldn't need vents in my skid plate anymore....

In line for a bit extra cooling. The in radiator shouldn't be bypassed as it is more efficient...I haven't heard of it ever being a problem on a Mitsu (but have on 4runners and Xterras).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles