Our Box Truck RV Conversion

motrhed

Observer
Based on your tight budget and limited fabrication/carpentry skills, have you considered retaining your stock truck bed and simply purchasing a factory built truck camper? This would provide a multi-use pick-up for use all year long plus when you want to travel, just slide-in the truck camper and hit the road. It is a cost efficient method that allows you to be out experiencing the world as opposed to being in your driveway working on your rig. Just a thought...

Last edited:

redman4556

Adventurer
Based on your tight budget and limited fabrication/carpentry skills, have you considered retaining your stock truck bed and simply purchasing a factory built truck camper? This would provide a multi-use pick-up for use all year long plus when you want to travel, just slide-in the truck camper and hit the road. It is a cost efficient method that allows you to be out experiencing the world as opposed to being in your driveway working on your rig. Just a thought...

I knew this wasn't going to be that easy! I have 8' 1" of frame rail behind the cab and my rails are 42 inches apart (outside to outside) at the back of the frame and 44 inches apart at the front half. There seems to be a kink in the middle where the frame narrows by two inches towards the back. I'll put up some pics. I can only guess (since I hope not to weld anything in the mounting process) I'm going to have to bolt a metal tube subframe to my frame. We are measuring from outside to outside of the frame rails right? Not inside to inside or something like that?

I do have VERY limited skills, but have thoroughly considered the possibility of an in bed camper. For my purposes, I need at minimum of 10'x6'4x6'2 of unobstructed interior space. Unfortunately, no camper I know of (attainable within my budget) will account for such a large space even if I gut it completely. I've gotten rid of my bed, and built a prototype that offered much more interior space than any camper, and I still wanted an extra 2' of length :p

You guys will think I'm completely nutts, especially based on my skillset and experience, but I'm planning on bolting camper jacks to all four corners of the box and using a self-diy'd reasonably demountable bolt on setup using ubolts and regular 1/2 in bolts that can be untightened and removed without too much grief for occasional demounting.

FullSizeRender (3).jpg
FullSizeRender (4).jpg
FullSizeRender (6).jpg

redman4556

Adventurer
Well, the plan is to use 1.5x1.5 or 2x2 perforated steel 12g tubing (6' long) bolted in four places across the frame rails. Based on my understanding, this should be enough side support to keep the box sturdily attached, while also technically allowing me to put a box on top with any width frame rails as I have a bolt hole every cm or two. So, planning on bolting the 4 tubes across the frame, and then bolting the box's frame rails to other holes in the tubes. Basically using the four tube lengths as a subframe.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
You are lucky in that those frame rails are very flat and you don't have anything sticking up. Before you build some home brewed design that may fail, seek out a professional for help. Perforated steel does not sound strong enough to support that much weight. When you then add the forces that a moving vehicle sees, you don't want to be responsible for a failure that hurts or kills someone. The truck box you are looking at probably weighs close to 1500 lbs. or so? It's not a camper shell.

redman4556

Adventurer
You are lucky in that those frame rails are very flat and you don't have anything sticking up. Before you build some home brewed design that may fail, seek out a professional for help. Perforated steel does not sound strong enough to support that much weight. When you then add the forces that a moving vehicle sees, you don't want to be responsible for a failure that hurts or kills someone. The truck box you are looking at probably weighs close to 1500 lbs. or so? It's not a camper shell.

I agree wholeheartedly, and would love professional help. Unfortunately I don't really know anyone I can ask about this sort of stuff.
Everyone I have asked won't give me practical advice and want to charge me an arm and a leg for a professional (often kit based) mounting solution.
Though perforated, I'm almost certain that even a single tube of the 12g 2x2" square tubing I was planning on using is more than strong enough to support beyond 1500 lbs. My father built an ATV trailer out of them when I was younger and to say they could hold weight was an understatement. I'm no engineer and moving vehicle is a huge factor, but I do plan to have 4 of them across my frame rails. My final weight goal is right around 2500 lbs wet. Oh how I wish I could afford to do this professionally.

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
Since you appear to have limited fabrication skills and a limited budget, you will be time and money ahead to buy a box truck that already has the box mounted. U-Hauls can be had for cheap straight from U-haul. https://www.uhaul.com/TruckSales/

Also look for an ambulance or a mobile lab truck:
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...e-Test-Lab-Conversion-Diesel-Custom-Box-Truck
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...dy-to-build-Expo-Rig-Bullet-Proofed-this-year

If you don't have enough $$, put the bed back on your truck and sell it. At least you can get some cash for it now before it turns into a half built basket case.

Learn to compromise. I'm not sure when your specific size requirements are coming from, but you are going to deal with what is cheap and commonly available, or get something custom built which is harder to find and more expensive.

Reality check: You have no money and no fabrication skills, this will end badly.

Last edited:

redman4556

Adventurer
Since you appear to have limited fabrication skills and a limited budget, you will be time and money ahead to buy a box truck that already has the box mounted. U-Hauls can be had for cheap straight from U-haul. https://www.uhaul.com/TruckSales/

Also look for an ambulance or a mobile lab truck:
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...e-Test-Lab-Conversion-Diesel-Custom-Box-Truck
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...dy-to-build-Expo-Rig-Bullet-Proofed-this-year

If you don't have enough $$, put the bed back on your truck and sell it. At least you can get some cash for it now before it turns into a half built basket case.

Learn to compromise. I'm not sure when your specific size requirements are coming from, but you are going to deal with what is cheap and commonly available, or get something custom built which is harder to find and more expensive.

Reality check: You have no money and no fabrication skills, this will end badly.

I appreciate the advice and links! Every ambulance/mobile lab type vehicle I have looked at is a big side project to gut to an empty shell. I appreciate the concept of buying a vehicle with a box already mounted, but I am dead set on keeping my beloved truck as the chassis choice. I understand I have no fabrication skills, and my budget does leave much to be desired. With that being said, I know its possible (without ending badly) and mounting a box myself vs buying it mounted is pretty far down there on my list of cost factors for this project. I have a bit left to learn, but I'm getting fairly comfortable with the concept of mounting the box (using u bolts and bolts) to a perforated tubed subframe bolted to my frame.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
You are in a major metropolitan area that gives you access to unlimited resources. You are however limited by a lack of budget and no fabrication abilities. There is a saying that goes; you want it good, you want it fast, you want it cheap, pick two and call me back. In order to find what you seek at your budget, you will have to be patient. There is a reason why my build is taking years to complete; I don't have a ton of money to throw at it. I do have a shop full of tools that make it possible for me to build what I need. It is still costly to do a custom project. Everything will cost much more to complete than you ever imagine. I see two options. Either you spend all your days scouring craigslist, auction sites, etc to find what you want for the money you have, or save your money until you can afford to buy or have built what you want. I have been building custom vehicles for my whole life so I will give you the best advice you will ever hear. Do it right the first time. Doing something half-azzed the first time and then re-doing it correctly, costs twice as much time and money. That is how projects stall, people either get upside down in hours or money needed to finish. I think you should find a shop that will build a tube frame to your specs that fits your frame rails. You can then figure out a way to construct panels to box it in. Once you have a solid box, you can build out the interior as you go along and money permits. There are countless threads on here with a wealth of information on building from scratch. The key is to start with a solid foundation. Check out this thread, the results are amazing: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/166831-Aluminum-camper-pod-build-thread

Silverado08

Observer
I appreciate the advice and links! Every ambulance/mobile lab type vehicle I have looked at is a big side project to gut to an empty shell. I appreciate the concept of buying a vehicle with a box already mounted, but I am dead set on keeping my beloved truck as the chassis choice. I understand I have no fabrication skills, and my budget does leave much to be desired. With that being said, I know its possible (without ending badly) and mounting a box myself vs buying it mounted is pretty far down there on my list of cost factors for this project. I have a bit left to learn, but I'm getting fairly comfortable with the concept of mounting the box (using u bolts and bolts) to a perforated tubed subframe bolted to my frame.
Have you considered using aluminum trailer box such as those used in construction industry?

There are many different sizes out there and from the looks of those would be much lighter then a y Uhaul box..
Just scrap the axle and wheels and mount on your truck

For mounting ideas look underneath any box truck mounted on a cutaway chassis truck..

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
You are in a major metropolitan area that gives you access to unlimited resources. You are however limited by a lack of budget and no fabrication abilities. There is a saying that goes; you want it good, you want it fast, you want it cheap, pick two and call me back. In order to find what you seek at your budget, you will have to be patient. There is a reason why my build is taking years to complete; I don't have a ton of money to throw at it. I do have a shop full of tools that make it possible for me to build what I need. It is still costly to do a custom project. Everything will cost much more to complete than you ever imagine. I see two options. Either you spend all your days scouring craigslist, auction sites, etc to find what you want for the money you have, or save your money until you can afford to buy or have built what you want. I have been building custom vehicles for my whole life so I will give you the best advice you will ever hear. Do it right the first time. Doing something half-azzed the first time and then re-doing it correctly, costs twice as much time and money. That is how projects stall, people either get upside down in hours or money needed to finish. I think you should find a shop that will build a tube frame to your specs that fits your frame rails. You can then figure out a way to construct panels to box it in. Once you have a solid box, you can build out the interior as you go along and money permits. There are countless threads on here with a wealth of information on building from scratch. The key is to start with a solid foundation. Check out this thread, the results are amazing: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/166831-Aluminum-camper-pod-build-thread

Solid advice from a guy who is neck deep in his own box truck conversion. :iagree:

Redman you may have to make modifications to the your frame or axle placement depending on the box you use.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
You keep stating that you need very specific dimensions in free space inside. why so specific? Are you trying to haul another vehicle or mount a weapon system or something?

redman4556

Adventurer
You keep stating that you need very specific dimensions in free space inside. why so specific? Are you trying to haul another vehicle or mount a weapon system or something?

I need to be able to stand up freely, and to fit a (cut in half and foldable)cal king mattress as well as a 3.5'x5.5' wet-bath. If I wasn't a bit tight on space with that criteria, I'd give some serious thought to said weapon system.

redman4556

Adventurer
Solid advice from a guy who is neck deep in his own box truck conversion. :iagree:

Redman you may have to make modifications to the your frame or axle placement depending on the box you use.

Can you clarify for me as to why the box type may make a difference? I know I have to raise up my frame rails by at least 1.5" in order to comfortably clear everything with any big box on there, but why do you feel I would need to modify frame and axle placement?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne