Our FlipPac

Bintang

Thought that I would post some pictures of our recently acquired FlipPac and Tacoma. Took us a while to finally decide on this combination.

Our first attempt was to purchase a Sylvansport Go Camper. We put our money down, made an appointment, reconfirmed it and drove to North Carolina to pick it up. We thought this camper would be versatile and would fit our needs. No one showed up at the appointed time so after waiting for nearly 2 hours (1 hour after the shop was supposed to open) before we left disappointed and miffed. Our money was returned promptly but it was back to the drawing board.

We considered and looked at Teardrop trailers, T@b trailers, pop-up campers and Adventure style trailers. We finally decided that we didn’t want to tow our “tent” because then we couldn’t tow our boat, should we want to bring it along. A full out RV was also ruled out, because we didn’t want a specialized vehicle.

So, we decided to buy a medium-sized truck, double cab and long bed. Ended up buying a 2013 Tacoma SR5 4x4. Plan was to put an Autohome Columbus on the roof and a tonneau cover. With that in mind I bought a Bak-Flip cover w/racks. We drove out to California for a wedding and to camp. Great trip, but scraped the RTT idea after seeing one and deciding it wouldn’t fit our needs. We stopped at FWC in Sacramento and toured the factory. Very much impressed with the quality of the campers. We looked at a very nice used one here in Tampa but decided that a slide-in camper really wasn’t what we wanted.

We did finally settle on the FlipPac and placed an order to FRP. Installed Ride-Rite air bags before heading out. We stopped at the Grand Canyon NP on the way to Riverside (just before Thanksgiving). Had the camper installed and camped on the way home, first in Joshua Tree NP, it was cold. The fly helped some, I think, as did the Little Buddy heater. We also camped just outside of Saguaro NP for several nights before driving to Guadalupe NP. Our camping was cut short there. We encountered high gusty winds that evening of up to 40mph. Sleeping was difficult but the FlipPac held up well. We headed for Carlsbad Caverns NP the next morning because they were predicting 65mph gusts for the evening at Guadalupe. After visiting the caverns we headed for Big Bend. Had some beautiful camping weather, great hikes and headed out for home in front of the next winter storm. Overall a great trip.

To date, I installed a “BedRug” for added comfort and built interior cabinets for storage and sitting. These can be easily removed to utilize the truck bed for hauling. We also made a no-see-um netting curtains for the back door and currently are sewing no-see-um netting onto the screens. Screen holes are way too big to keep out those tiny pesky biting gnats.

Want to thank all those who previously posted their build for the many of the ideas we’ve copied and for those we still plan to use.

Attachments

• Big Bend.JPG
    Big Bend.JPG
    363.6 KB · Views: 96
  • Joshua Tree.JPG
    Joshua Tree.JPG
    198.1 KB · Views: 93
  • Joshua Tree2.JPG
    Joshua Tree2.JPG
    260.4 KB · Views: 102
  • Salt Flats near Guadalupe NP.JPG
    Salt Flats near Guadalupe NP.JPG
    176.8 KB · Views: 82
  • Suguaro.JPG
    Suguaro.JPG
    386.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Tuscon Mountain Park.JPG
    Tuscon Mountain Park.JPG
    240.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Wood Cab.JPG
    Wood Cab.JPG
    218.9 KB · Views: 92
  • Wood Cabs Backs.JPG
    Wood Cabs Backs.JPG
    279.1 KB · Views: 88
  • Wood Cabs Fronts.JPG
    Wood Cabs Fronts.JPG
    262.9 KB · Views: 87

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
Yes... More details! We went thru a similar "pros & cons" research period and while our Flippac is still pretty new and only been used a few times we LOVE it! Everything is a compromise and the Flippac fills a unique place in camping accommodations.

kayak15

Observer
Details on the boxes and how the attach and maybe a pic of them loaded would be awesome! Thinking about doing something similar to be able to leave the Flippac on the truck but remove storage Setups to be able to use the full bed. Awesome truck and setup by the way!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bintang

Thanks for the comments!

The box frames were built out of Pine 1x2's, 2x2's and 1x4's (nominal dimensions) and the panels from 1/2" plywood, all from Home Depot. They are screwed together. I was going to disassemble the units and glue all the joints for strength but didn't. My rational is I can modify or repair if needed. The front box measures 23x52x18, the left is 18x45x18 and the right is 17x45x18 overall with the actual box part measuring 17x25x18. I added the extra lower panel to keep the cooler from sliding out. The front box weights 27# and the side boxes are about 18# each. This makes them easy to remove and install by one person.

The front box is bolted to the front rail using 2 bolts and T-nuts. The side boxes slide over 2 angle irons that are attached to the FlipPac mounting bolts. I didn't remove the mounting nut but The side boxes are also bolted to the front box legs. The boxes are all the same height and the upper back edge rests against the FlipPac "shelf" and extend about 1/2" above to provide a small lip so items don't roll off.

We did manage one night of camping with the furniture installed, sorry no pictures. Worked out well except the 2 front lids brush the tubing that holds up the mattress and tent. I removed the boxes and I trimmed the edges in those spots for clearance. I finished painting the boxes this weekend and will put them back in the truck later this week.

The mosquito netting was copied from: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/88680-Flip-Screen-Flip-Pac-Toyota-Tacoma
Ours are 3 separate pieces, that are attached at the top and sides with velcro strips. Not as nice as "Ressie's" but did okay in the 1 day trial. Will take pictures latter this week.

Thanks

Attachments

• Slide1.jpg
    Slide1.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Slide2.jpg
    Slide2.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Slide3.jpg
    Slide3.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0541.JPG
    IMG_0541.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0547.JPG
    IMG_0547.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0555.JPG
    IMG_0555.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 51

austintaco

Explorer
Agreed. I am thinking about building ours out, but I use the truck bed so much that I would end up having the pieces stashed away in the garage when not in use. I do like the functionality of the build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles