Our Kingdom Camping Trailer Build

Treefarmer

OK. It looks like we're getting close enough to start a thread about our progress on this build. We've been in the planning stages since September, and now it looks like we're on schedule for delivery in early April. Here are some of the specs we're using for the build:
  • GVWR 9,820 lbs
  • 100 gallon fresh water tank and 50 gallon gray tank
  • Separett Tiny dry flush toilet (no black tank)
  • Cruise Master ATX independent trailing arm suspension with airbag leveling
  • Maxxis Razr AT 285/75R16 tires
  • Truma Combi Comfort Plus on demand heat and hot water system
  • 2,020 watts of solar on top
  • 1,104 amp hours of Expion lithium batteries
  • 50 amp service with Victron solar components (3000W)
  • 12V DC refrigerator and air conditioner
  • 3.5"-6" floors/wall/ceiling with high density foam insulation
  • Aluminum framing with thermal barriers over the studs to minimize thermal bridging
  • 12v tank heaters, all plumbing insulated and heat vented to all areas with plumbing below the floor (we're going for serious four season capability)
  • Steel chassis hot dipped galvanized and painted black
  • Stainless steel screws used throughout
  • Flip up solid surface bar table instead of dinette
  • McHitch 6.5 tonne fully articulating hitch
  • Stainless steel accumulator tank
  • Queen size bed in north/south orientation with room to walk on either side
  • No wood or Luan plywood products anywhere in the walls/floor/ceiling
  • RV Armor no maintenance lifetime roof coating
  • Crane Noble Select fused fiberglass panels with Azdel backing. A thicker fiberglass panel with Aztec Gray color impregnated in the fiberglass (no paint).
  • Aluminum, insulated skid plates covering the entire bottom with nothing (plumbing, wires, etc.) extending below the frame
  • Heavy duty jacks capable of supporting the weight of the trailer
We'll have more information and pictures on our blog as we go along. Our blog is for friends and family (no ad sales), and we like to use it as a kind of photo album of our RV experiences for us to look back on in our old(er) age. Feel free to ask questions here or there. We'll probably end up being more transparent than we should!
RVino Blog

Last edited:

Treefarmer

This is going to be an amazing build! is there a typical build time?
This is the first model, so there's no history to work from in terms of build time. We started talking to Jamin Lambright at Kingdom Camping in September to develop specs. We've been finalizing details and ordering components for the build, so the real manufacturing is just starting. The plan is to be complete by the end of March or early April. The second unit is already on order and should be done in about half the time since the base design will already be established. If everything goes as planned, I think this model will be very popular.

By the way, we have no financial or any other connection to Kingdom Camping. We're just psyched that we found a builder who has the same standards as we do and was willing to expand their model line. We've been full timing for eleven years and know exactly what we want (which isn't for everyone), so we were able to give Jamin a lot of detail. Plus we were ready and willing to put down the 25% deposit to get the ball rolling! ?

rvndawgz

Wow thanks for doing all the leg work for exactly what I would like to have. I will be following along and hopefully follow the same route later in the year. Thanks again for sharing.

surg7498

This is the first model, so there's no history to work from in terms of build time. We started talking to Jamin Lambright at Kingdom Camping in September to develop specs. We've been finalizing details and ordering components for the build, so the real manufacturing is just starting. The plan is to be complete by the end of March or early April. The second unit is already on order and should be done in about half the time since the base design will already be established. If everything goes as planned, I think this model will be very popular.

By the way, we have no financial or any other connection to Kingdom Camping. We're just psyched that we found a builder who has the same standards as we do and was willing to expand their model line. We've been full timing for eleven years and know exactly what we want (which isn't for everyone), so we were able to give Jamin a lot of detail. Plus we were ready and willing to put down the 25% deposit to get the ball rolling! ?

The fact that you also specified full time living warranty is most definitely icing on the cake. I'm rather new to the RV world so just working to get a feel for what is standard in the industry and from what I've gathered full time living warranty doesn't seem to be much of the norm, without your comments I wouldn't have even known it was abnormal.

appreciate all your insights..

Treefarmer

The fact that you also specified full time living warranty is most definitely icing on the cake. I'm rather new to the RV world so just working to get a feel for what is standard in the industry and from what I've gathered full time living warranty doesn't seem to be much of the norm, without your comments I wouldn't have even known it was abnormal.

appreciate all your insights..
I don't think the warranty would keep us from buying a trailer that checked all the boxes for us. We look at it as a measure of the confidence a manufacturer has in their product. It's actually surprising to us how many "high end" RV manufacturers specifically note that their warranty does not cover the buyer when used for full time or business use. This will be our second and last trailer. Our first, and current, is a New Horizons 5th wheel. They are proud to say that their warranty covers full time use. Likewise, Jamin didn't even hesitate when we asked if he builds trailers warranted for full time use. It changes the way you design and build in a number of areas.

EPO

Sounds fantastic Tree and good looking also. Looking forward to hearing about your progress.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

I hope you don't mind me jumping on this string and giving a shout out to Randy Gardner with Off Grid Power Pack in Idaho Falls, ID. He is the man on solar lithium design on RVs and Off Grid cabins. He drove down to SLC in -27 below temperature to install a solar plug in my trailer. The wrong part was shipped to my MFGer and was not Randy's fault.

Treefarmer

He's definitely up there as one of the best in the country for small space solar applications. He's the reason we were able to fit 1,920 watts of solar panels on a trailer that only has a 20' long box. Other good RV solar options, but with different business models, are Discount Solar in Quartzsite, AZ and AM Solar in Springfield, Oregon.

Treefarmer

Discount Solar did a good job for us a few years ago. Following your build Treefarmer.
Discount Solar: A few very experienced "old guys" who excel at training and managing "younger" guys. ?
I think a more accurate name for them would be "Fairly Priced Solar". They definitely aren't cheap!

Treefarmer

Here's a quick update on our progress. The frame has completed its field trip to the hot dip galvanization tanks and is back in the shop ready for the CruiseMaster ATX installation and more. Here is a photo of some molten zinc action:
IMG_6670.HEIC.jpg
There are more photos and information here:
A Trailer for Our Next Chapter - Part II

You can also see a video of the galvanization process here:
Kingdom Camping FB Page

I tried posting direct links and pasting the URLs in case I didn't get one or the other right. Things are moving fast now. We are still on track for an end of March or first week in April delivery. So it looks like it will end up taking us 6.5-7 months total from concept, specs, design through procurement, manufacturing and to delivery. Not bad for the first model in the line. Models 2, 3, 4...etc. should go much faster!

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Here's a quick update on our progress. The frame has completed its field trip to the hot dip galvanization tanks and is back in the shop ready for the CruiseMaster ATX installation and more. Here is a photo of some molten zinc action:
View attachment 763927
There are more photos and information here:
A Trailer for Our Next Chapter - Part II

You can also see a video of the galvanization process here:
Kingdom Camping FB Page

I tried posting direct links and pasting the URLs in case I didn't get one or the other right. Things are moving fast now. We are still on track for an end of March or first week in April delivery. So it looks like it will end up taking us 6.5-7 months total from concept, specs, design through procurement, manufacturing and to delivery. Not bad for the first model in the line. Models 2, 3, 4...etc. should go much faster!

Oh i love " the smell of molten zinc in the morning "

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles