Out with the old, in with the new...F-150.

phsycle

Adventurer
Ford is definitely the oddball here because every other manufacturer out there has ONE type of automatic transmission shifter with no options.

Chevy/GM are all column shift. I think the newer Nissan Titan and Toyota Tundra have gone to console shifters as well. RAMs have those little hockey puck dials on the console. All compact trucks have console shifters, as do most compact cars with automatic transmissions. My wife's CR-V has a sort of console-type shifter but it's mounted way up on the dash so it doesn't clutter the center console. I think a lot of mini-vans have a similar setup.

Unless it's a manual transmission, I see no point in having driving controls down on the console where they're well below the driver's line of sight. Bad design IMO.

Nope, Toyota still has column shifters available.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Nope, Chevy and Toyota both still have column shifters available.

To be fair Toyota just discovered Apple Play 6 months ago. He’s the slow kid in class.

phsycle

Adventurer
@Martinjmpr I dont actually dislike column shifters, they are just fine; All my work trucks had them and I had no issue with it. but In my vehicles I've always preferred console shifters.

We can all agree on one thing: Screw puck shifters. Ban of my existence.

Truth be told, I actually like console shifters. I always had to be careful with column shifters to not to past “D”, into M or lower gearing. I don’t even have to look when shifting with console.

ITTOG

To be fair Toyota just discovered Apple Play 6 months ago. He’s the slow kid in class.
They have known about it since it came out. They said it was unsecure and therefore they would never use it. They had to fold due to people moving to other manufacturers because of it. It was a big factor for me when I purchased an F150. Now I think that was a mistake because I miss my Tundra.

phsycle

Adventurer
They have known about it since it came out. They said it was unsecure and therefore they would never use it. They had to fold due to people moving to other manufacturers because of it. It was a big factor for me when I purchased an F150. Now I think that was a mistake because I miss my Tundra.

Resale on trucks are good. So make the trade. But not sure why CarPlay would tip the scale either way. If you really like the rest of the truck, there are many other options for CarPlay, or better yet, screen mirroring.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I was between a Tundra and F150. I ended up with an F150 because for the same money, I was able to get a newer lower mile truck. But, I am curious, what do you miss about your Tundra?

I'm curious to see the new Tundra when it finally gets released. I'm sure when my current truck is due to be replaced, it'll be between a Tundra and F150.

Hmm.. maybe I should start a vs thread between the 2021 F150 and the new Tundra when it comes out....

ITTOG

I was between a Tundra and F150. I ended up with an F150 because for the same money, I was able to get a newer lower mile truck. But, I am curious, what do you miss about your Tundra?

I'm curious to see the new Tundra when it finally gets released. I'm sure when my current truck is due to be replaced, it'll be between a Tundra and F150.

Hmm.. maybe I should start a vs thread between the 2021 F150 and the new Tundra when it comes out....
I don't know where to start and I am sure I will forget some but I will try. This is based on comparing my 2007 Tundra Limited with 5.7L with 180,000 miles and a 2018 F150 Platinum with 3.5L ecoboost with 37,000 miles.
  1. Reliability.
    1. Toyota - one recall and one failure (idler pulley seized)
    2. Ford - four recalls , or is it five, one failure, three issues they have not resolved yet because they can't figure it out
  2. 6.5' Bed with four doors, Ford is only 5.5'. Who knew 1' would matter so much.
  3. Overall looks are better on the outside. (F150 wins on inside and technology).
  4. Outside mirrors are landscape instead of portrait like f150.
  5. Instantaneous Power
  6. Better gas mileage while towing my cargo trailer (14.4 vs 7.5) but not true when not towing (17.1 vs 21.5)
  7. 1" higher ground clearance from factory
  8. Toyota service department is much better (based on four different Toyota dealerships and two different Ford dealerships).

phsycle

Adventurer
[*]Better gas mileage while towing my cargo trailer (14.4 vs 7.5) but not true when not towing (17.1 vs 21.5)

Ok, will give you reliability, dealer service, will even throw in “instantaneous power.”

But 14.4mpg towing? In a tundra??? Were you driving downhill with a tailwind?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Yep sold my Sequoia bought a Expedition. Didn’t bother looking at anything Toyota. Tech and mileage ?. Don’t miss it one bit. But my dad likes it good ride for him.

ITTOG

Ok, will give you reliability, dealer service, will even throw in “instantaneous power.”

But 14.4mpg towing? In a tundra??? Were you driving downhill with a tailwind?
Nope. It was the same trip I take several times each year. The big V8 just doesn't guzzle as much as two Turbo's. The best I ever got with the F150 is about 11.5 if I limited my transmission to 7 gears (to reduce use of the turbo's) and reduce speed to 70. In the Tundra I go 80.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Nope. It was the same trip I take several times each year. The big V8 just doesn't guzzle as much as two Turbo's. The best I ever got with the F150 is about 11.5 if I limited my transmission to 7 gears (to reduce use of the turbo's) and reduce speed to 70. In the Tundra I go 80.
My 4.7 Sequoia got 14-16mpg on road trips and 12-13 in town. My 2019 Expedition
Gets 16-18 in town and 21-23 on road trips. I’ll take the 400hp Expedition every time.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer

Towing at 80mph, and getting 14.4mpg.

Sorry man, that’s not possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior