Outfitting the new-to-me 2018 F-150....EcoBoost specific thoughts?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Couple things off the top of my head would be to get a rubber bed liner and delete the stop start function.

It actually has a bed liner in it now which I think I will leave in place.

What do people not like about the stop/start? I admit it was a bit strange at first to feel the engine stop when I am at a stop light but I'm used to it now.

I know the technology has been around for a while. Have there been any specific problems with the F-150's that use the stop/start? I can understand concerns about what might happen in the future if the problem fails to work (fails to start when you're in the middle of an intersection or something) but I wonder how much of that is imagining problems vs. actually experiencing them?

I know I can disable the stop/start with the ForScan tool/app.

D

Deleted member 9101

What do people not like about the stop/start? I admit it was a bit strange at first to feel the engine stop when I am at a stop light but I'm used to it now.

I know the technology has been around for a while. Have there been any specific problems with the F-150's that use the stop/start? I can understand concerns about what might happen in the future if the problem fails to work (fails to start when you're in the middle of an intersection or something) but I wonder how much of that is imagining problems vs. actually experiencing them?

The auto start stop saves fuel... I get 20-21 MPG in town because of it. The people that I encounter that don't like it are usually control freaks.

Really it pauses the motor, it doesn't turn it off. It primes the next cylinder it will fire and retards the timing so it starts up instantly. It also maintains oil pressure in the top end of the motor and the coolant continues to circulate on its own.

You can play with the pressure on the break peddle and activate it or start the motor early. The only time I turn mine off is at the drag strip.

Have you learned how to turn off the traction control and advanctrack?

85_Ranger4x4

There is no comparison between the Motorcraft and the NAPA Gold filter. The NAPA Gold fits better, seals better, and has a larger surface area thanks to deeper pleats.

With out a tune an aftermarket intake/filter only makes more noise in an ecoboost. With a tune it will widen the the power band, but not necessarily increase peek HP/TQ. The 2.7/3.5 use the same filter and intake as the 3.5 HO... Sooooo they flow pretty dang well...lol.

I was thinking the stock replacement type stuff. Not a fan of the oiled type filters in dirty environments.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Generally, the less often I crank my engine over with ZERO oil pressure the better. I'd turn it off.

Don't play games with your oil filter. More pleats, volume, whatever. Just stick to the Motorcraft filter.

D

Deleted member 9101

Generally, the less often I crank my engine over with ZERO oil pressure the better. I'd turn it off.

Don't play games with your oil filter. More pleats, volume, whatever. Just stick to the Motorcraft filter.

That's the catch, the motor retains pressure and volume while its paused. Millions of trucks have this feature and have had zero issues.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Yep..a hand full of problems out of millions of trucks sold...add to that a couple of million cars that Ford has used the exact same system on and you'll see why it's silly to worry about.
Still though. Yeah, could only be a handful of cars / trucks. Hard to say based on the 10 second google search I did for F150 start / stop issues.

Still good to be informed and aware of any potential issues.

There is no problem. Until there's a problem.

nickw

Adventurer

I had a couple instances in my Audi where it lagged enough to bother me when pulling in front of traffic so I don't care for it...so it's a combo of both imagined and actualized for me. Nothing happened, but if something did, I'd be pissed of myself for not doing something and following my gut....

I know there are workarounds like letting off brake quickly, or creeping, but it's just something else in our crazy lives to think about and consider, any time I can streamline my brain function these days I do....even for stupid little thing like this.

85_Ranger4x4

That's the catch, the motor retains pressure and volume while its paused. Millions of trucks have this feature and have had zero issues.

Even then, without "pressure" everything that needs oil in an engine has oil no matter what at startup unless it is a new build that has never been primed. Any any builder worth a broken lockwasher uses assembly lube as he assembles an engine and primes the engine before startup... so big deal on that too.

A guy gave me a 302 with a busted crank for free. It sat on the back of the block for a few years in the back of my garage for a few years before I tore it down to make a wine bottle holder out of it for our wedding reception. All the mains and rod bearings still had oil in them. No idea why the crank broke at 1/5, it was a parts store reman and I don't have a high opnion of those to start with though.

I think my POS coldblooded computer controlled feedback carb engine my Ranger started out with scared me for life on start stop. I have spidy senses to try to save a stalling engine now.

D

Deleted member 9101

Even then, without "pressure" everything that needs oil in an engine has oil no matter what at startup unless it is a new build that has never been primed.

You do realize that Ford addressed that issue on every single motor that has that feature? From trucks all the way over to the hybrid vehicles use a "start and stop" feature and the oil system in every one of those motors was designed to deal with it. Hell, they even beefed up the starter, wiring, amd battery.

I'm guessing that you have never changed the oil on a 2.7?

ITTOG

I think @Jnich77 is leading you to the best pathway.

Start/Stop was designed for emissions reductions to meet EPA requirements. Improved fuel economy is a side effect. I suggest leaving it on. It doesn't hurt anything.

Also, my experience has been those that alter their trucks are the ones with the most issues.

phsycle

Adventurer
Jeez, we're not talking leaving the engine off overnight. It's typically 8-10 seconds on the average. Things that are lubed will stay lubed in that short time period.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior