Over head view with camper on

tuktu

I have noticed that some of the camper setups look like they block the view for the driver. It must make a big difference if the truck is a regular cab when compaired to a crew cab when looking at overhead objects or traffic lights and signage. Has the front over hang been much of a concern or empediment to vision or is it just something to get used to. Any comments or experiences would be welcome. "Officer I didn't see the red light!"

fisher205

Explorer
I really enjoy the shade on a summer day. I've never had a problem. If you didnt't see the redlight you were probably too far out in the intersection anyway.

805gregg

Adventurer
I have a 4 door truck with a Lance that you sleep for and aft, it blocks my GPS on the dash but thats the only problem.

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
I have a 4 door truck with a Lance that you sleep for and aft, it blocks my GPS on the dash but thats the only problem.

My camper only protrudes about 6" infront of the windscreen and also stopped, or reduced, gps reception. Around a reasonable amount of trees or anything else that would reduce reception it basically stopped working.

But, buying a new one last year, with what is described as a high sensitivity chipset, has entirely removed that problem :)

The shade is a definite benefit, a lot of rain is kept off, but the air infront of the windscreen is obviously out of the airflow and a lower pressure, as bugs come towards you at high speed, then land right infront of you and go for a stroll, drives me nuts!

tuktu

Air Dam

I have heard about a "airdam" to block the airfloe under the overhang of the cabover campers. Some I think are hard plastic and others maybe inflatable. The idea is to improve the airfloe around the camper.
Does anyone have any experience with these devises?

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Unless you have a regular cab or a shorter extended cab, with a camper that has a north-south cabover bed, I wouldn't worry about it.

A little overhang is going to shade the cab, and also keep the water from pouring in your truck door when you open it.

You can see my truck with a crew cab and east-west bed in the cabover, I can still use my satellite radio even. However when I open my door in the rain, the water comes right down the front corner of the camper and pours into the door. lol

14.jpg

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I have heard about a "airdam" to block the airfloe under the overhang of the cabover campers. Some I think are hard plastic and others maybe inflatable. The idea is to improve the airfloe around the camper.
Does anyone have any experience with these devises?
The inflatable one's you're referring to grind your cab paint to bits.

805gregg

Adventurer
My camper only protrudes about 6" infront of the windscreen and also stopped, or reduced, gps reception. Around a reasonable amount of trees or anything else that would reduce reception it basically stopped working.

But, buying a new one last year, with what is described as a high sensitivity chipset, has entirely removed that problem :)

The shade is a definite benefit, a lot of rain is kept off, but the air infront of the windscreen is obviously out of the airflow and a lower pressure, as bugs come towards you at high speed, then land right infront of you and go for a stroll, drives me nuts!

I just got a new Garmin Nuvi 550 and it works inside my garage, I don't know how.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior