Overland/cross country vehicle: Lexus RX400h Hybrid

Looks like you pack like I do... use every nook and cranny possible!

What are those sand/snow tracks and have you ever used them? They fold up very small.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mnewxcv

Observer
Looks like you pack like I do... use every nook and cranny possible!

What are those sand/snow tracks and have you ever used them? They fold up very small.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
They are similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Stalwart-Deep-Groove-Traction-Mat/dp/B01ION7TQM/ref=asc_df_B01ION7TQM/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312061179754&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12710226885644325352&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9002253&hvtargid=pla-524493249749&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=61856009413&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=312061179754&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12710226885644325352&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9002253&hvtargid=pla-524493249749#customerReviews

Though mine are twice as big I think, as mine unfold. I will snap a picture in a minute and see if I can find a brand. Never used them other than driving over them in the snow to make sure they wouldn't break. It's a simple enough design and if I ever really need them, I think it will be enough to get me unstuck. They were given to me and they're compact enough so I just keep them in the vehicle. If anything, I would think they would be useful if I do any beach driving this summer. I was pretty happy with the snow performance of the vehicle this winter.

mnewxcv

Observer
Actually, mine look just like the ones in the link only orange. Mine do not unfold, but I think they connect together to make a longer single rather than 2 short ones.

jhosborn

thanks for your post! I have a 2016 450H and would like to do a bit of off roading in it (gravel roads, light dirt, etc). First thought about outfitting a cargo van, and then trading the RX for a LX470, and now circling back to using the 450H. appreciate reading your escapades!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The Sienna awd is the same platform only more roomy. I’ve seen a number of them with rear seats stripped out with a full sized bed built in with lots of storage.

Shovel

Explorer
I've looked at those vehicles for that purpose; when feature trails (rock crawling..) and the more extreme sorts of weather/mud aren't on the menu I think they'd make excellent North America touring vehicles. Their limitations mean an owner would probably want to get front and rear recovery points figured out, carry a quality jack and ramps & be prepared to use them routinely as defensive measures against rocker panel damage on brief tough spots that occasionally exist on less maintained stretches of dirt road.

mnewxcv

Observer
The Sienna awd is the same platform only more roomy. I’ve seen a number of them with rear seats stripped out with a full sized bed built in with lots of storage.
true, though it has an extra foot of wheelbase and .4" less of ground clearance. If that isn't a problem, definitely a lot more interior room!