Overland Explorer Vehicles (OEV) BASE-CAMP Pickup Camper - Soft-Wall and Hard-Wall Versions

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
New model is rolling out! Specs just released on the overlandex.com website (Update: As of summer 2021, OEV has postponed the BASE-CAMP rollout and removed from their website. They now plan to start offering the BASE-CAMP in the 2022 model year). The BASE-CAMP is a 9' camper that mounts permanently to a 1ton pickup chassis (no flatbed needed). Will be available in both soft-side (pop-up) and hard-side.

Edit: This is the latest, updated link for the BASE-CAMP: https://overlandex.com/base-camp/

Leaving these outdated links for historic purposes:
https://overlandex.com/base-camp-hard-wall/
https://overlandex.com/base-camp-soft-wall/

base-camp-view-1.png

Last edited:

Ninelitetrip

I am interested to see how this develops. At more than twice the cost of the HBE + tray what brings that next level? Lithium vs AGM, foot longer floor length, rear bunk bed, wet bath, diesel cooktop, diesel hydronic heat, AC is an option, no awning, same fresh water capacity.

Chadx

Besides the items you mention such as longer 9' length, lithium batteries standard, etc. there are a few other niceties. The stovetops are induction (electric). The cabin heater is diesel and will draw diesel from the pickup gas tank. Same with the "OEV diesel hydronic system" which I assume is will heat the water and perhaps also feature a circulator/heater for the pickups coolant system for cold weather starts and fast engine heatup. There is also a 15 gallon graywater tank rather than draining out the side into a hose then onto the ground or a bucket. An inverter is standard equipment. In the hard-side, there are also four dual pane acrylic windows vs. non in the CAMP-HBE. And a roof hatch. And two 180watt PV panels rather than one. The soft-top BASE-CAMP looks like it will have an automatic roof lifting system. So a fair number of upgrades over the CAMP-HBE.

I agree the price jump is quite a bit from a CAMP-HBE to a BASE-CAMP. But it's also quite a jump from a CAMP-X ($39k usd) to a CAMP-HBE ($67k usd once you combine the camper at $54k and the flatbed at $13k). $39k to $67k is a 1.72x jump. Going from the CAMP-HBE to the BASE-CAMP ($150k usd) is a 2.24x jump. Going from that to the Summit ($210k usd) is a 1.4x jump...though I'm sure the average Summit price, that goes out the door, is much, much higher than $210k usd) . Much of the value will depend on the interior finishes. If that aligns with the Summit and Summit-X, that is what will push up the price (and value). And who knows if the price is finalized yet. Might as well publish the most it will be and reserve the right to lower it than post a price and later realize it must be raised. Will be very fun to see the finished product.

In the end, I'm not the target audience for the new BASE-CAMP as it's out of my budget as are the Summit and Summit-X...but they sure are nice! My wife and I are considering a change from our current CAMP-X to a CAMP-HBE to coincide with our next pickup purchase in the next couple years (I like to get about 10 years out of my pickups and am in a 2013 currently). Since we choose to not get loans, our timeline will be based on however long it takes us to save up. If we switch to a flatbed camper, it would make sense to do it at the same time as we purchase the next pickup. Meanwhile, the CAMP-X is the most bang for your buck of all the OEV campers and I feel like we are living in luxury in our 2020 CAMP-X...so we are in no rush. :)

Last edited:

jeep364

Besides the items you mention such as longer 9' length, lithium batteries standard, etc. there are a few other niceties. The stovetops are induction (electric). The cabin heater is diesel and will draw diesel from the pickup gas tank. Same with the "OEV diesel hydronic system" which I assume is will heat the water and perhaps also feature a circulator/heater for the pickups coolant system for cold weather starts and fast engine heatup. There is also a 15 gallon graywater tank rather than draining out the side into a hose then onto the ground or a bucket. An inverter is standard equipment. In the hard-side, there are also four dual pane acrylic windows vs. non in the CAMP-HBE. And a roof hatch. And two 180watt PV panels rather than one. The soft-top BASE-CAMP looks like it will have an automatic roof lifting system. So a fair number of upgrades over the CAMP-HBE.

I agree the price jump is quite a bit from a CAMP-HBE to a BASE-CAMP. But it's also quite a jump from a CAMP-X ($39k usd) to a CAMP-HBE ($67k usd once you combine the camper at $54k and the flatbed at $13k). $39k to $67k is a 1.72x jump. Going from the CAMP-HBE to the BASE-CAMP ($150k usd) is a 2.24x jump. Going from that to the Summit ($210k usd) is a 1.4x jump...though I'm sure the average Summit price, that goes out the door, is much, much higher than $210k usd) . Much of the value will depend on the interior finishes. If that aligns with the Summit and Summit-X, that is what will push up the price (and value). And who knows if the price is finalized yet. Might as well publish the most it will be and reserve the right to lower it than post a price and later realize it must be raised. Will be very fun to see the finished product.

In the end, I'm not the target audience for the new BASE-CAMP as it's out of my budget as are the Summit and Summit-X...but they sure are nice! My wife and I are considering a change from our current CAMP-X to a CAMP-HBE to coincide with our next pickup purchase in about 3 more years (I like to get 10 years out of my pickups and am in a 2013 currently). Since we choose to not get loans, our timeline will be based on however long it takes us to save up. If we switch to a flatbed camper, it would make sense to do it at the same time as we purchase the next pickup. Meanwhile, the CAMP-X is the most bang for your buck of all the OEV campers and I feel like we are living in luxury in our 2020 CAMP-X...so we are in no rush. :)
I'm surprised the CAMP HBE does not have a gray tank? Or am I mistaken?

Chadx

At one point on the former spec sheet, the CAMP-HBE listed a gray tank, but that later was removed. Not sure where there would be room since there is no false floor ("basement"). The version in the photos is there prototype unit and it shows an external drain like the CAMP-X. One could build a gray water tank into the tray and drain the CAMP-HBE into that, but since the CAMP-HBE has two drains, you'd have to rig both or pick just one. Regarding the layout, they since determined the layout is better with the galley on the drivers side and toilet cabinet on passenger side by the door. I very much agree. The new layout will also have the shower pan on the dinette raised floor rather than in the entryway. Perhaps there is room in the dinette floor for a graywater tank, but I would think the new CAMP-HBE specs would mention it if that were the case.

But, nice that the BASE-CAMP will have graywater tank.

Last edited:

Ninelitetrip

So far not a lot of video on this BASE CAMP SW prototype. It was at EXPO last weekend in Flagstaff.

I posted in the HBE thread asking about the BASE CAMP, forgetting that this thread existed.

Ninelitetrip

In the end, I'm not the target audience for the new BASE-CAMP as it's out of my budget as are the Summit and Summit-X...but they sure are nice! My wife and I are considering a change from our current CAMP-X to a CAMP-HBE to coincide with our next pickup purchase in the next couple years (I like to get about 10 years out of my pickups and am in a 2013 currently). Since we choose to not get loans, our timeline will be based on however long it takes us to save up. If we switch to a flatbed camper, it would make sense to do it at the same time as we purchase the next pickup. Meanwhile, the CAMP-X is the most bang for your buck of all the OEV campers and I feel like we are living in luxury in our 2020 CAMP-X...so we are in no rush. :)

Yes the BASE CAMP and SUMMIT are appealing but defiantly budget busting. Now just 9 months later and the HBE has increased in price by $9k for 2022. I am guessing the BASER CAMP SW will move beyond $150K for 2022 pricing.

Last edited:

Chadx

OEV website is updated. It's been updated to no longer have separate pages for each model. You have to go to the main page and scroll down.
If you go to https://overlandex.com/ and scroll down, the various models are there. If the old page loads, hold down shift and hit F5 Key to clear your buffer and reload.

Also note, once on any of their pages, if you click the OEV symbol, you are brought to that same page, but if you click the word "Home", you are brought to the page https://overlandex.com/2022-home-page/ and that page has the other models, but NOT the BASE-CAMP. So just click the OEV symbol if you are stuck on that page.

Starting @$159,900 USD (Not including chassis).

Gallery:
https://overlandex.com/base-camp-soft-wall-gallery/

Specs:
2021-BASE-CAMP-SW-rev1.png

BASE-CAMP-Floor-plan.png

Last edited:

Chadx

Looking over the specs, those electric roof actuators are standard on the BASE-CAMP. I'll note that they are also a factory installed option on the CAMP-HBE; though not retrofittable. On the CAMP-HBE, Arnold mentioned that having the electric actuators means no front or rear hinge and so there would be an extra soft top window front and back and looking at the spec sheet, that is the same for the BASE-CAMP. For some, that alone might be a reason to get them. It would be very neat to have front and rear windows for a total of 8 softtop windows!

On the BASE-CAMP, since you would never remove the camper, it makes mounting these a bit more straight forward. Would be curious if the HBE uses the jack mounts (meaning it would be harder to mount the Rieco jacks for unloading) or if they would be on their own mounts.

For either camper, the rear ones look well protects as they are mounted on the back of the camper, but the front ones would be exposed to branches, etc. on tighter trails, so that may also be a deciding factor for some users.

2021-BASE-CAMP-SW-Prototype-14.jpg

Last edited:

Ninelitetrip

Initial specification for comparison.

Dimensions

• External Dimensions: 168″ L x 78″ W x 64″ H closed / 89″ H open
  • Internal Dimensions: 165″ L x 74.5 “W x 61″ H closed / 82” open
  • OPEV gen 4 composite walls & roof = 1.5″ (38.1mm) (>=R8)
  • 1.5″ (38.1mm) honeycomb poly propylene floor
  • Dry weight ~1985 lbc (*TBC)

Standard equipment

• Exterior
  • OEV automatic roof lift system with manual override
  • Cabin fixed to chassis – fully isolated
  • Under cabin powder coated aluminum locking cabinets – keyed the same
  • OEV Rub Rail with integrated DOT LED lighting and mounting for solar panels
  • (2) -Dual pane acrylic window with roll up screen on each side of dinette
  • (2) -Dual pane acrylic window with roll up screen on each side of upper queen bed
  • Fire rated & insulated soft walls (>=R4)
  • RV Entry door with window and screen door
  • Bomar Roof hatch
  • Over cab bed with 4” med density foam queen size mattress
  • Base Camp graphics package
  • Snap on vinyl window cover for entry door
  • Integrated Awning mounts
  • Powder coated aluminum extrusions / exoskeleton
  • Interior:
  • 51” wide c shaped dinette – folds down into bed
  • Marine fabrics for all cushions
  • 4” medium density foam cushions
  • High traffic grade Lonseal vinyl flooring
  • Powder coated aluminum interior cabinetry
  • Starboard door and drawer fronts
  • Fire extinguisher 10ABC
  • Smoke/CO detector

Plumbing/heating/Cooling

• (1) Multi speed roof vent
  • 35 gal fresh water tank w/12v pump
  • 15 gal gray water tank (tbc)
  • Sagiva inside & outside shower
  • Dry bath w/built in Thetford C400 series cassette toilet
  • S/S sink w/flush mount glass top
  • OEV diesel hydronic system
  • Webasto Airtop 2000 diesel cabin heater

Electrical

• (2)-180W roof mounted solar panel
  • 2000W Xantrex XC Pro Pure Sign Inverter (with charger) – engineered to activate the BMS in the event of a depleted battery
  • AC wiring package – includes (2)- 110V outlets
  • (1)-lithionics UL listed 315Ah LiFePO4 battery w/internal BMS, remote on/off and built in heater
  • Amp seal harness, state of charge display, sterling dc/dc charger, Victron 100/30 mppt solar controller
  • 164L DC compressor novakool fridge/freezer
  • Double burner induction cooktop
  • LED side and rear flood light
  • LED interior lighting

Options

• Additional 180w solar panel
  • Additional Lithioncs 315Ah Power system LiFeP04 battery- UL listed Internal BMS, remote control on/off switch and heater
  • Cruise N Comfort CNCUSAHD12L Split system -7000 BTU
  • Additional 10 Speed Maxxair fan with blind and LED light
  • Bunk bed above dinette -includes mattress
  • Rear tire carrier manual lift
  • Hydra lift rear carrier installed
  • Back-up camera with housing – plugs into factory harness if equipped
  • OEV roof rack – Powder coated Aluminum
  • Exterior front offroad light bar – includes mounting locations for (4) 5″ round/rectangle/square LED lights (lights not included)
  • (4) – Baja designs LP-6 lights for the optional front light bar – floods
  • Pass through to cab – includes vinyl snap in door/cover
  • OEV Molle rack

Ninelitetrip

Some initial differences.

Weight is higher, dropped the battery it is now an option, dropped the Bomar roof hatch, upgraded to Victron complete electrical system, upgraded to 200w panels, added storage under a thicker mattress, Molle panel and tire carrier now standard, and the pass through to cab is a maybe?

Curious why the change from the Truma system as used in the other models? In a rough comparison the CAMP BASE SW is an HBE extended by a foot in length. No picture of the interior yet but seems the extra length is all in the bigger U shaped dinette. Potentially have three fuel requirments with a petrol engine and the choice of a diesel heater plus propane cooktop,

Tying into the engine for enroute cabin heat adds complexity and a failure point? Why not electric radiant heat? Hot water source?

I like the original option of the Cruise N Comfort split system. Now its a roof system and/or run the truck engine option. Absent some technical problem with the install I would elect for the CNC split system post delivery.

The roof shares the 250lb. limit with the HBE.

No basement or pull out drawer like on the Aluma tray, but now have the full width under the dinette if not obstructed by onboard systems.

Water capacity same as the HBE, thought it might increase slightly. Same fridge capacity as the HBE.

I like the placement of the shower tray at the entry door.

Ninelitetrip

Looking over the specs, those electric roof actuators are standard on the BASE-CAMMP. I'll note that they are also a factory installed option on the CAMP-HBE; though not retrofittable. Not sure if the BASE-CAMP is the same way, but on the CAMP-HBE, Arnold mentioned that having the electric actuators means no front or rear hinge and so there would be an extra soft top window front and back. For some, that alone might be a reason to get them. It would be very neat to have front and rear windows. That would be a total of 8 softtop windows!

On the BASE-CAMP, since you would never remove the camper, it makes mounting these a bit more straight forward. Would be curious if the HBE uses the jack mounts (meaning it would be harder to mount the Rieco jacks for unloading) or if they would be on their own mounts.

For either camper, the rear ones look well protects as they are mounted on the back of the camper, but the front ones would be exposed to branches, etc. on tighter trails, so that may also be a deciding factor for some users.

2021-BASE-CAMP-SW-Prototype-14.jpg

Given the option of adding a 270* awning and the shower cube, there is stuff hanging out there. What about running a length of aluminum from the top bracket to the bottom bracket on the forward lifts to act as a brush guard / deflector?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles