Overland Expo 2015 to Utah Lockhart and more....

toddz69

Explorer
Great report and photos, Lance!! Keep 'em coming - stuff like this is the best of ExPo.

I believe that car is a late 50s Chrysler product and if I'm not mistaken, that panel to the right of the steering column housed the buttons for the pushbutton automatic transmission. I'm really curious what that piece of square tubing underneath the steering column was for? Obviously added on for something.

Todd Z.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Great pictures and write up Lance. I don’t know if it is your camera or photo work but the pictures all look stunning! I sure had a great time that week although it went by way too fast. Can’t wait until the next trip. I’ll post up a report from the first part or our trip when I get some time.

This picture is too cool! It looks like a professional tire advertisement.
18054395849_04d8d41146_c.jpg

A couple to contribute…

A decent pic I got of our camp spot near Chicken Corners
17801226270_abc524178b_c.jpg

Campsite at the river bottom
17586373243_fb2a619035_c.jpg

And….was the worst part of the entire trip. The part where we all air our tires up and say our goodbyes to head our separate ways back to the reality called Life & Work.
17587285393_c5348ee245_c.jpg

jus passin thru

Adventurer
The car was a 1958 , probably a Plymouth. With a push button transmission, I learned to drive in my grandfathers 1956 DeSoto that had one which was new and which also makes me an, old fart.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Nice report and even better running into you in Moab at the cafe.
Eric

Funny how we get known for our rigs as much as anything else....Sportsmobiles, Fuso, certain 4wds, they become our calling card :)
Great chat and always happy to play on the dirt with ya anytime.

justcuz

Explorer
Great report and photos, Lance!! Keep 'em coming - stuff like this is the best of ExPo.

I believe that car is a late 50s Chrysler product and if I'm not mistaken, that panel to the right of the steering column housed the buttons for the pushbutton automatic transmission. I'm really curious what that piece of square tubing underneath the steering column was for? Obviously added on for something.

Todd Z.
Todd, that is a 1959 Plymouth. The square tubing is welded to the round rod that is the shift rod for the manual 3 spd trans. The shift handle mounted in the square tubing part with a roll pin. The panel on the right was heater and vent, if it had push button automatic, the left panel held the transmission push buttons. Google image search was my friend here!

The trip report is very cool and Lance need not apologize for his photo skills! The pictures and descriptions get the point across well.
I wish I had the presence of mind to take more pictures on my trips. I spend so much time admiring my surroundings, I selfishly forget to photograph them.

Last edited:

toddz69

Explorer
Todd, that is a 1959 Plymouth. The square tubing is welded to the round rod that is the shift rod for the manual 3 spd trans. The shift handle mounted in the square tubing part with a roll pin. The panel on the right was heater and vent, if it had push button automatic, the left panel held the transmission push buttons. Google image search was my friend here!

The trip report is very cool and Lance need not apologize for his photo skills! The pictures and descriptions get the point across well.
I wish I had the presence of mind to take more pictures on my trips. I spend so much time admiring my surroundings, I selfishly forget to photograph them.

Thanks for the info on the car. I should have known the pushbuttons for the automatic would be on the left hand side. At least I got the make right :).

I'll second my appreciation for Lance's photo skills. Having traveled with him for more than a week last month, I was thankful that he had his SLR out snapping photos a lot more often than I could pull my iphone out to try and snap a photo.

Todd Z.

justcuz

Explorer
Lance has had the benefit of traveling with Nick, who takes copious photos and writes excellent trip reports.
Last November I was camped at Warm Springs in Death Valley. My back was stiff so I crawled out of my bag before sunrise and sat in the main hot springs and watched the sun come up. The transition of color in the mountains as the light of the sun hit it was amazing! I should have taken pictures since I was totally alone but I left my camera in camp. All I can say is I now know how the verse "purple mountain magesty" got written into America the Beautiful! That and the fighter jet flyovers and the air battle training over the valley where the highlights of the trip.
The big hole in the bottom of the HVAC push buttons was where the ignition key went. I originally thought it was a 1957 Plymouth, but 57/58 Plymouths have a bigger, taller gauge panel, the 59 dropped it below the dash surface.
The round knobby thing on top of the dash was the rear view mirror mount.
It looks like some of the rear section of the chassis is exposed and the dually rear axle in the back round may have been attached to it. Maybe it was converted into some kind of truck by someone. I think Chrysler Corp went to torsion bar front suspension in 1957, not sure when they converted over to unibody construction.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94