Overland Trailer in Central America

ExposeTheWild

Has anyone towed an Overland Trailer through any of the Central American countries? My wife and I full-time right now in a fifth wheel but we are about done with North America. Last winter during COVID we went to Costa Rica when we couldn't cross the US border from Canada. We loved it so much that we are planning to swap out our dually and 5th wheel for an Overland Trailer with the intention of taking it to Panama. I am having trouble finding information on Temporary Import Permits for the trailer. Will we have any issue crossing the various international borders pulling a trailer? I am hoping someone has some experience traveling Central America with an Overland Trailer and can help me out.

ExposeTheWild

I’ve been thinking of heading down there myself. I don’t think you need to worry about importing the trailer or car since you’re just visiting, but this write up might help. https://rvlife.com/motoring-to-panama/

Every country requires to you get a Temporary Import Permit (TIP), most are good for just 90 days. Mexico will give you a 10 year TIP on your motorhome/trailer and 180 days for your vehicle. I haven't been able to find any other information on other countries and trailers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz