Overland Vehicle for 5 + Dog

Todtan

I'm looking for suggestions from this experienced group. We currently own a built out Sprinter which is a great vehicle and we love it however change may be on the horizon. So my question is what is the best vehicle that will accommodate 5 people and a 100lb dog and is on the lower end of the price spectrum ($15,000-$30,000)? Likely we'd want a RTT and the ability to tow a medium size camper trailer (<20ft length). I'd like a solid foundation vehicle to build out that would have decent off-road ability (more so than our sprinter) and be able to tackle technical southern Utah terrain. Broad question I know and the price range can go higher if there are mods already completed so...

Thanks for your input!

TT

wirenut

Adventurer
2500 Suburban. I think a trailer smaller than 20 feet would be small, not medium size. Just about any vehicle big enough for the family will tow that size trailer.

billiebob

VAN all the way. I think an AWD Chevy is the best buy period.

Family of 5 plus a dog and towing a trailer says "technical terrain" in Utah is not a reality. The 20' trailer will keep you off anything technical.

Otherwise I'd say get a JT/JKU/JLU but you might need to triple the budget. Technical says Expo Trailer and shorter towing vehicle with 5 seats plus a spot for Spot.... and a 10' Square Drop at the biggest.

R.1171381a6a05fd20151c991458ec957f.jpeg

When it comes to camping with family the entire overlanding thing is overekill. Our first "overlander" was a Honda wagon and 2 tents. It went everywhere. Climbing in Mount Assiniboine NP, the lodge at the end of Tatlayoko Lake..... with a family, forget wasting money on mods. Just get out there every weekend. Any stock AWD today will get yer family everywhere you can take them.

Last edited:

rcintx

Adventurer
Is there something the Sprinter isn’t doing that your new vehicle needs to be able to do?

I’ll second the suburban, excursion, or van. All great vehicles for large families.

Mfitz

Sprinter's don't tow 20' trailers well, certainly not as well as any 150-1500-1/2 ton vehicle will. We found there was a real benefit to being able to drop the trailer at a basecamp then use the tow vehicle for day trips or even overnighters with tent camping. Having to pack up the entire living space every time you need to go to town or the trailhead gets old, especially when the kids get more independent and every body doesn't want to go to the same places every time. Sprinters work really well for some, not so well for others. A 20' trailer will get everybody a semi-real bed, a toilet, etc. Set it up for boondocking with solar and outside shower to save gray/ black tank space, you can have a nice setup for a growing (up) family.

Todtan

VAN all the way. I think an AWD Chevy is the best buy period.

Family of 5 plus a dog and towing a trailer says "technical terrain" in Utah is not a reality. The 20' trailer will keep you off anything technical.

Otherwise I'd say get a JT/JKU/JLU but you might need to triple the budget. Technical says Expo Trailer and shorter towing vehicle with 5 seats plus a spot for Spot.... and a 10' Square Drop at the biggest.

View attachment 756381

When it comes to camping with family the entire overlanding thing is overekill. Our first "overlander" was a Honda wagon and 2 tents. It went everywhere. Climbing in Mount Assiniboine NP, the lodge at the end of Tatlayoko Lake..... with a family, forget wasting money on mods. Just get out there every weekend. Any stock AWD today will get yer family everywhere you can take them.
Thanks for your input. Sorry, should have been more clear. Park the trailer hit the trails so a vehicle that will carry us all and tow but has some decent off-road capability when not towing. We already get out there every weekend in our Sprinter and we've definitely pushed the limits of it's capabilities but again...looking to change things up a bit.

Attachments

• Fixit #1.jpg
    Fixit #1.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: bjp

Todtan

Sprinter's don't tow 20' trailers well, certainly not as well as any 150-1500-1/2 ton vehicle will. We found there was a real benefit to being able to drop the trailer at a basecamp then use the tow vehicle for day trips or even overnighters with tent camping. Having to pack up the entire living space every time you need to go to town or the trailhead gets old, especially when the kids get more independent and every body doesn't want to go to the same places every time. Sprinters work really well for some, not so well for others. A 20' trailer will get everybody a semi-real bed, a toilet, etc. Set it up for boondocking with solar and outside shower to save gray/ black tank space, you can have a nice setup for a growing (up) family.
We don't tow a large trailer with our Sprinter. Like you I'm thinking of something that can/will tow a max 20' trailer nicely but then we can unhook and hit the trails to explore. Our current setup works really well but looking to change it up.

Attachments

• Setup 1.jpg
    Setup 1.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Setup 2.jpg
    Setup 2.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 21

Todtan

Suburban or Excursion
That's kinda where my head is at the momvent. Recommendations on the best year/engine/tranny for the suburban or the excursion? I'm thinking the V10 if we go for an excursion but my familiarity with them is not good.

Todtan

Is there something the Sprinter isn’t doing that your new vehicle needs to be able to do?

I’ll second the suburban, excursion, or van. All great vehicles for large families.
More off-road capability. We've pushed the limits in the Sprinter and it's great but we would like to tackle some more rugged terrain. We've not interested in going with another van so suburban or excursion is looking good. Just want to see if there's any other options I may be missing.

rcintx

Adventurer
More off-road capability. We've pushed the limits in the Sprinter and it's great but we would like to tackle some more rugged terrain. We've not interested in going with another van so suburban or excursion is looking good. Just want to see if there's any other options I may be missing.

Understood. My family has a suburban and it may be my favorite vehicle thus far. It is a great road trip machine. I can't attest to its offroad ability (atleast, more than rough ranch roads) but it is a wonderful vehicle for a family and gear.

We are a family of 4 with a large dog and have been looking at adding a van like yours to the fleet. I'd be curious to see how yours is setup on the inside. Exterior looks great.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
My 2009 was a good vehicle. Had a 2000 as well (no pics) Both were decent.

Seats were more comfy in the 2000 but overall I liked the 2009 better.

Towing might suck depending on were you are towing. Maybe @Martinjmpr can chime in.
@CrazyDrei and @dirtdobberoffroad have some experience with them too.

Here's a nice example of a newer model Tahoe. Same ideas could work on a Suburban too.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I would have to rate the 1500 GMT800 Suburban as "marginal" in terms of towing. Unless you live in flat country or tow a very small trailer, it's not a good choice. Killed our transmission twice towing a not terribly heavy (4000lb) trailer through the Rockies.

Really I blame the 4L60 transmission. It's not that the 4L60 is a BAD transmission, I'm sure it was an adequate transmission for its era. But its era was 25 - 35 years ago.

When towing in the mountains, especially ascending a steep pass, the transmission would constantly shift between 2 - 3 and sometimes between 1 - 2.

Perhaps a lower final drive would have worked (my '04 had a 3.73) but really I can't say.

It's a shame because I loved the body style of the 'Burb and the super comfortable seats. My current F-150 doesn't even compare.

Overlandtowater

It is mostly flat country down here so towing with my 1500 is no problem but there is no way I’d push my 4l60 towing in the mountains. The 2500 burbs are a good choice but they are impossible to find down here, different areas vary though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94