Overland worthy belts - What is your preferred one?

shogun

Adventurer
Good feedback. In you experience, do you believe that this is caused simply due to wear and tear or is the loosening issue compounded by additional weight of items on the belt?

Cheers,
P

It is made worse by weight on the belt. With items on the belt you need to keep the belt tight so they dont move around, dangle or sag. The buckle is not able to keep the belt from slipping through and loosening. Contributing to this is the hook/loop feature. This type fastener works great if you dont use it often; set and forget works well, but several times a day and it wont last. You just dont want this design feature on a regular use item. This in conjunction with the buckle placing stress on the hook/loop allows it to slip.

The Atlas belt hook/loop is basically set at the reqd position and then not used unless the belt diameter needs to be changed.

madmax718

Explorer
http://www.originalsoegear.com/cobrabelt.html very good belt. easy on off. Annoying to change pants. However, how many pants does an overlander change anyhow?

Strong enough to repel with if necessary. Useful for emergency rescue. Also good for its original purpose- attaching yourself to things for safety. Damn annoying at airport security.

Cobra Tuff Skin - Cheap (10-15 dollars). Stiff enough to get the job done, but will get wobbly after a few years.

And what happeend to good old money belts?

DaJudge

Explorer
My wife's family has run a leather shop since the early sixties. I use their belts. Solid leather, strong enough to tow with! They sell wholesale to stores around the country.

reds12t

Observer
I have been wearing a Filson 1 1/2" double leather belt for a few years and have been very happy with it. Wearing well, and has broken in nicely. I just picked up a Pantel Tactical EDC belt this weekend. I found that I live within 5 miles of the shop, and it was refreshing to get a quality custom belt made as I conversed with the owner in the back of his shop. I really like the Cobra buckle, and the stiffness this belt has.

Last edited:

WininUtah

Adventurer
I've worn Wilderness for years, I see no reason to change. I use the 1.5" Instructor Belt without stiffener, holds a holster with no issues. Most of the time I wear 5.11 Taclite pants or shorts, they combo well with the Wilderness.

Expedition Leader
Another Wilderness Instructors belt fan. Bought the extra-stitching stiffened one for concealed carry. It has held up a full-size steel 1911 pistol every day for 6-7 years and still works great! No loosening issues for me yet.

lysol

Explorer
Ever since I bought it, I've always worn my Spec Ops Riggers belt when camping and 4wheelin. Best belt ever....

AG_BMD75_L_1.jpg

Mr welder

belts

I wear a mechanics belt I purchased from mechanics belt USA. They have a leather covered buckle that doesn't scratch paint, wear it every day even to church ! Excellent belt and the owner is a measure to deal with. I am an equipment mechanic and I'm in the dirt, snow , mud and concrete and this belt holds up and still holds my pants up too !

Willman

I have been wearing a Filson 1 1/2" double leather belt for a few years and have been very happy with it. Wearing well, and has broken in nicely. I just picked up a Pantel Tactical EDC belt this weekend. I found that I live within 5 miles of the shop, and it was refreshing to get a quality custom belt made as I conversed with the owner in the back of his shop. I really like the Cobra buckle, and the stiffness this belt has.

I own 5 Filson belts...Love them all. Best Belt a guy could ask for!

http://www.filson.com/mens/belts-and-suspenders/-1011/

"Unfailing Goods"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior