Overlander, new “affordable” Earthroamer type rig

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Parked behind that rig in Haynes Alaska in September while taking some bear photos. Appeared very nicely done and good quality from what i could tell on the outside.

Was there a couple hours and didnt see anyone coming or going out of it to pick their brain.

For the market they're trying to hit, they need to up their website game, very lax in the details, but for some reason that seems to be the norm with the high end builders. None like to list many details, especially on brand of components used... hmmm

Last edited:

CTDJeeperman

The price point makes this type of rig available to many more people than the almost $700K for a new Earthroamer. I know these are very different but they are both large 4x4 RVs on Ford 550s with similar Offroad capabilities and size. I think my Dad would really consider one of these, especially if you could get it in a Ram 5500.

Good to hear that the rig you saw looked nice. I wonder how much it weighs wet and loaded with food and a family of 4.

Zybane

Well to be fair; the ERD (pictured) starts at $227,000 USD. I'd wager with a few options it would be in the $250K-$300K range. Still far cheaper than an Earthroamer though.

Steve_382

Interesting, but looks like a typical Elkhart, IN camper bolted to a beefy chassis. There are a couple of other F550 Class C's with 4x4 out there, but at least this one has the super single option. Not sure I like it as well as the GXV Adventure Truck though. Also, no address for the company that I can find.

CTDJeeperman

Interesting, but looks like a typical Elkhart, IN camper bolted to a beefy chassis. There are a couple of other F550 Class C's with 4x4 out there, but at least this one has the super single option. Not sure I like it as well as the GXV Adventure Truck though. Also, no address for the company that I can find.

Agreed, I think the GXV adventure trucks are the best quality to cost ratio for what I would want. I saw both versions at Overland Expo in Flagstaff and was impressed. Plus I’m extremely partial to Cummins (therefore Ram).

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Agreed, I think the GXV adventure trucks are the best quality to cost ratio for what I would want. I saw both versions at Overland Expo in Flagstaff and was impressed. Plus I’m extremely partial to Cummins (therefore Ram).

I'd have a hard time picking between the Ram and the Ford. I have owned four Ford 6.7L PSD's and I have never had a complaint amongst the bunch in regards to the engine. I have owned a newer 6.4L Hemi Power Wagon which I enjoyed in regards to the truck overall but I didn't have the diesel, that said, the Cummins reputation precedes itself. I prefer the cab and textiles of the Ford and the looks and aftermarket of the Ram, such a tough choice.

goin camping

Explorer
Unless I missed it. I could find no info on the camper body construction. It sure looks like every other truck camper out there construction wise. If that is so. Not sure this is a good buy as the camper will die decades before the truck wears out.

Once again I remind everyone the above opinion is that of some internet lunatic and may well be wrong. Feel free to correct or educate me.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
It's an Adventure Manufacturing brand. You can get a better feel for what they do by going to the main website https://www.amlrv.com/

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
It's an Adventure Manufacturing brand. You can get a better feel for what they do by going to the main website https://www.amlrv.com/

FWIW, on my 5 week trip to Yukon and Alaska in Sept, I saw more AM brand truck campers than anything else by probably a 20:1 ratio.

Seem to be what’s used on almost all the CAN and Alaska based rental fleets. I’m guessing there’s a reason.

Looked pretty dang stout

Steve_382

So, it's basically a large truck camper, but at least it's on a beefy enough chassis to handle the load. Would be nice to see some specs on it with length, width, weight, capacities, etc.

38snubby

So, it's basically a large truck camper, but at least it's on a beefy enough chassis to handle the load. Would be nice to see some specs on it with length, width, weight, capacities, etc.

We do not know that for sure. The website lacks details. It is a positive that there is more competition in this market segment. Especially now the ER is clearly overpriced for what it is.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles