Overlanding is 2 better than 1?

Fren

Just curious of how everyone feels bout soloing vs group expeditions. Is it suggested to travel the pan am or through the Americas with someone or is it better solo?

billiebob

Solo ALL the time.
I hate the pressures and egos in groups.
My best times are parked/camped on a beach with a good book.

Only advantage to a partner, second vehicle when remote is not being alone if you break down.
But route planning, preventative maintenance, careful driving, and keeping yer vehicle close to stock and well under the GVW can eliminate the risk of breaking down, solo or in a group.

pjpvi

Observer
I'll be going solo starting in January. I've been concerned about it from the "having company" standpoint. I like to have people to talk to and I'm a talker. Loneliness could take me down. On the flip side, I'm really looking forward to doing what I want and going where I want without taking others into account. Several friends (and my wife) have said they will come travel with me in sections. Time will tell if that happens. I do tend to make friends easily and plan to along the way.

Enjoy the journey!

luthj

Engineer In Residence
It depends heavily on group dynamics. Some people have low or high maturity levels that don't match the rest of the group. Different need, such as some people like a rigid schedule while others just make it up as they go along.

I think the best approach is to find people that you will keep in touch with and loosely follow each other over the weeks and months. They give you somebody who you can use as a lifeline in case of breakdown or other need and you can meet up for difficult things like border crossings and shipping.

krick3tt

Adventurer
When I lived in my RV I traveled solo. Never had to ask 'Hey what do you think about this'. But if I were going to the far reaches of jabip I might want a companion. But someone that has at least similar travel style (in the same vehicle) otherwise a traveler in another vehicle would be an advantage, I think. Takes the edge off 'what if'.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
There is a time to do both solo and group. When I want to get tipsy around a campfire and B.S. with people I'll hit the annual family campouts. But, if I want to do some exploring I only go alone.

I think that rig capability is a big issue when exploring. I have a rig that is small, will go pretty much anywhere, and I'm not afraid to lose some paint. I've found it's very difficult to find a camping partner that has a similar exploring plan, a similarly capable rig, is available when I am, actually shows up, and is not a butthead. :) In fact, it's come to my attention that I may indeed be the butthead.

My dogs keep me company at camp and they are generally in the mood to do whatever I want to do. That said, I've never gone on a long trip (real overlanding). Can't even imagine what it would be like to coordinate with that many people for so long a time.

krick3tt

Adventurer
When considering a long trip what is your ideal time frame in days or weeks. Since many do not have the availability that some have, is that a reason to go solo or simply a desire to travel alone? Realizing that traveling with others often affords a possibility of safety in numbers and mechanical insurance for the inevitable breakdown, physical as well as vehicular.
If wandering aimlessly is considered exploring, is it not sometimes prudent to travel with at least one other human?
I also realize that this discussion is simply a direction of personal preference.

dreadlocks

people suck, I definitely don't go overlanding or boondocking to socialize.. only time I want a backup vehicle is if I'm going out for snow busting, but then thats just because if your not getting stuck your not having enough fun.. and someone else can get you unstuck pretty painlessly.

If you cant self recover, play it safe and try to stay out of trouble in the first place and you can avoid most headaches.. my Wife/Navigator, kids and dogs are plenty company.. sometimes we might invite friends/family to tag along but its usually meeting up with em along way.. like a weekend at a lake near family as we're passing through the area in the middle of a much bigger trip.. I rarely make remote family destinations because I dont wanna spent that much time with em honestly, so they are simply convenient resting points along the journey then I get back to hopping through various mountain ranges and exploring the back roads mostly aimlessly.. usually those 2 day max sync ups are the only planned part of the whole trip.. only to be polite to our siblings.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Some of our most memorable trips are ones shared with people we're honored to call close friends. I'm lucky to have found a club early on with many likeminded people that I enjoy spending time with both in and away from just 4 wheeling, though. Many of the people I met 25+ years ago don't even have trucks any more but we still do bike trips or spend Thanksgivings together just the same.

I'll do solo trips, too. Different vibe, different goals. I spent 2 weeks alone on a bike packing trip last fall and will do so again this summer. I poke around in the truck alone a lot, too. But the difficulty and goals are different when I'm solo, I take fewer risks for sure. I just don't find quite the same solitude solo in a truck as I do on a bicycle. Being in a truck fundamentally feels more isolated from the situation and environment so being with other people isn't as much of a hinderance to me.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I'm willing to bet a lot of the people that do solo trips do them for short periods. Doing a long trip ,one the last months or even years, you need regular human contact to avoid strange effects on your psyche. Humans are after all social creatures first and foremost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior