Overnight in Bald Eagle State Forest, PA

biohazdan

One of the bad things about living in Central PA is that the pickings can be slim for places to wheel, camp and generally use my truck as.....well....a truck. I took a trip with my oldest two to Bald Eagle State Forest this week and thought i would share what i found and why I plan on heading back there ASAP.

To preface, I've had my eye on Bald Eagle for a while and ordered the Purple Lizard Map associated with it. It was very helpful. I fully recommend getting one. There are primitive campsites laid out throughout the forest. They are of varying quality. Without having been previously, i chose one that appeared somewhat easy to get to, but the forest ranger said was farther off the road. The roads for the most part are well maintained gravel roads....and there was plenty of traffic for the middle of the week. So I loaded the gear and the kids in the truck and made the two hour trek up to campsite 45. It was somewhat off the road, maybe 250 feet up a little two track, but not far enough. We heard every car that went past.

2zus2r5 - Imgur.jpg

It rained. Of course it did. So the kids and I enjoyed a meal in the tent. While i taking care of business, about 10pm, a jeep rolls through our site on the two track. The driver, seeing that i was otherwise engaged, yelled a sheepish "sorry" as he rolled through. So yeah, definitely not private enough. Anyways, the next day we packed up and headed out to check out some of the trails that are rated for high clearance 4 x 4 vehicles. We went to the closest one first, a dead end called Little Poe Trail.

pfD1nKS - Imgur.jpg

Rm4SQ0z - Imgur.jpg

This was a nice two track that ran about a mile and half before we hit a hunting clubhouse. afterwards the map says it turns into a dual sport trail, so we turned around here. I was just getting a feel for the trails i had available and the stock OR could handle this one no problem.

We turned around and took the gravel road network, a bridge was out so we ended up having to detour, to a much longer sequence of 4 x 4 "roads". We started at Flat Hollow Rd. At the beginning of the trail we met two guys on adventure bikes who were deciding if they wanted to check it out. When they saw that i was planning on doing the trail in my stock tacoma with kids inside they decided they could as well. lol.

Flat Hollow Rd was a nice drive. I don't think i have any pictures, but i didn't even need four wheel drive. We turned on Strong Mountain Rd, which took us up to the ridge. This was a rocky and rough trail. I didn't need anything other than 4 high though. The adventure motorcycle guys ditched us in this section. These shots are of Strong Mountain rd. on the way up.

uo6SJ9O - Imgur.jpg

MWjZdVO - Imgur.jpg

rhxooh2 - Imgur.jpg

At the top of the ridge we had a choice to follow Strong Mountain Rd down or continue a longer trail, Longwell Draft Rd. The kids started to complain about going home and "I'm bored", so like any good dad i chose the longer trail. lol.

Longwell Draft rd was easy, even though it was plenty wet from all the rain. Never needed anything other than 4 high. I played with MTS and crawl control some, but definitely did not need it. It was, however, somewhat overgrown. I've got some mild new pin striping. Anything bigger (read wider or taller) than a stock OR tacoma would have fared much worse. It was a fun trail. Became a little long in the tooth as it meandered down to the valley floor, especially because my ride was getting "lovingly massaged" as my daughter suggested.

818Pg4y - Imgur.jpg

Overall it was a great introduction to a forest that is a moderate distance from me and looks to have tons of interesting trails to explore, with no problem in a stock truck. Plus some great views.

jC99NXo - Imgur.jpg

merr1ca

Glad to see other's out in what I consider "the back yard". Ton's of mild trails, some stuff that's challenging for bigger rigs.

biohazdan

Not really in place for an expedition right now, so these backyard trips will sustain my thirst for adventure until I can make more substantial trips. I’m originally from SoCal so I miss public lands and vehicle accessible trails. I was excited to find this place.

the deputy

When out exploring with my grandson, 10 years old, l find stopping often to let him explore on foot, shoot the bb gun, throw rocks...helps some. The riding gets tiresome for young minds. Glad you were able to get out. PA is a beautiful state.

Brian.

slomark

Good to see this. At the recent the Mid Atlantic Overland Festival I grabbed a Purple Lizard map for here and Rothrock as well. When the leaves change me and my 9yoa plan on doing a little camping trip. Gonna trailer my Ural behind my Tundra, set up camp, and putt-putt around.....see what we can find. And yes, we’ll probably bring his Red Rider along for the trip (y)

mav204

Observer
great review do you have GPX files of teh route you took, there is a huge network of roads and want to travel all teh goto ones

TheRizz

Bald Eagle is a great one! I hate to blow its cover as a down-low SF, but Tuscarora is becoming a favorite. Mostly well-groomed gravel but some fantastic permit sites.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles