OVRLND camper topper

chet6.7

Explorer
What's the appeal or advantage of barn doors?
The tailgate of my Ram is pretty high,barn doors make it easier to get in and out of the camper,I can reach things in my weather guard packrat easier as well.
There are downsides to barn doors,the loss of the tailgate for a shelf,or a porch,hauling lumber with the TG down.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Easier in & out (tailgates are generally a PITA when exiting from inside the bed...especially when 1/2 asleep ?). Generally better sealed against dust ingress.
Drop down/flip up shelves on each door are more versatile for my needs than a tailgate.

The downside unless the barn door(s) incorporate a flip open window: Long goods hauling need to be strapped on top. And more challenging/expensive palletizing & shipping.

jbumx2

Observer
^ Ditto! Especially barn/amby doors! Probably due to packing/shipping issues no one is offering barn/amby doors. A deal breaker for me...

Packing/shipping issues could be mitigated by shipping the doors detached from the camper. The buyer would be responsible for attaching the doors upon delivery. I think the bigger issue is how the camper will seal the bedsides where the tailgate used to be.

bval

I love what you're doing! If I can suggest an improvement that might be easier to implement than something like barn doors, it would be access to the inside of the camper from the sides.

While the Go Fast Camper doesn't do it for me personally, one thing they got very right is side-opening access to the bed. I currently run a Wildernest w/ the stock sliding windows and am investigating installing Windoors in it instead. Most truck-based overland rigs, mine included, end up with a swing-out on the rear bumper. This can make getting into the bed to stow or fetch gear annoying because now you have to open the swing-out, open the camper hatch, and possibly lower the tailgate just to get to your gear. It's so much more convenient if you can just pop open a side window and reach in.

The solid walls on your camper would be a non-starter for me for that reason. I also want to see the outdoors when I'm camped in them. Maybe consider modifying your frame to accomodate window frames for standard truck camper Windoors?

Cheers,

Brandon

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Not to speak for Jay, but he is very accommodating concerning options like side windows or even side fold up/down openings. We have had many productive communications, and I am excited to see mine get started!

PHeller

Adventurer
Jay and I talked a bit about side access. Windows are expensive, it's part of the reason GFC doesn't include them. They also require some attention to reinforcements on the side of the camper.

OVRLND's design also utilizes smaller tubing on the sides. In order to get those full length swing-up doors, the design would need to utilize much heavier tubing. Vagabond used heavier aluminum sheet metal then bent to form ribs at the corners that helped with structure. Something similar is going on with the AT Summit, as well. This limits the ability to have a "full length" flip-up door, as both the Vagabond and Summit utilize quite small windows/doors in the sides.
img_20180503_183929240_hdr-jpg.447454

VagabondDrifterInsideWindow.jpg

38659789782_761be057cb_z.jpg

Personally, I'd like to see a combination of styles here: Minimalist Steel Subframe with full length doors, 40" tall back door, with the full-length pop-up of a FWC or Jay's current design. Basically, a GFC with a full-length pop-up and longer cab-over.

Last edited:

PHeller

Adventurer
Ahhh yea, looks like he moved some of the supports around to do that. Hey, it works.

This is my stupid concept idea of what a mashup of a GFC and full-length popup might look like.

Attachments

• GFCFullLengthPopupConcept.jpg
    GFCFullLengthPopupConcept.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 169
I would prefer the windows / opening to be at the back, but see what that model was built the way it was. Nice to see there are lots of options

kodiak-black

Observer
The concept you guys are working on is great. I appreciate the full pop up vs. the wedge. I also like the weight savings vs. something more substantial like a FWC and the impact to payload. Your platform offers a lot of flexibility in terms of build out preferences.

OVRLND Campers

The concept you guys are working on is great. I appreciate the full pop up vs. the wedge. I also like the weight savings vs. something more substantial like a FWC and the impact to payload. Your platform offers a lot of flexibility in terms of build out preferences.

Thanks! Its been a while in the making. The full pop top really makes it a livable space, and I cant wait to see how people build them out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior