OVRLND camper topper

spressomon

Expedition Leader
@Cluthch. You hit the nail on the head. When I was in my 20s & 30s the tailgate wasn't an issue. It was an inconvenience in my 40's. Now at 50's door and after deployments taking their toll, the tail gate is a real problem. It is great to but a product that is build to last, but I would like to have a camper that can either be retrofitted or purchased with full barn door or a lift gate.

Same age demographic here...

Clutch

<---Pass
@Cluthch. You hit the nail on the head. When I was in my 20s & 30s the tailgate wasn't an issue. It was an inconvenience in my 40's. Now at 50's door and after deployments taking their toll, the tail gate is a real problem. It is great to but a product that is build to last, but I would like to have a camper that can either be retrofitted or purchased with full barn door or a lift gate.

Same age demographic here...

46 going on 70 here. 40 some odd years of two wheeled and snow sports injuries catching up to me. Last one was a L5 herniated disc in '14. Not as spry as I used to be.

Was trying to figure out how to mod my existing tailgate like a Honda Ridgeline...best of both worlds. But doing those type of mods are usually more hassle than what it is worth.

Barn Doors would be nice just to step up on in. Plus have an extra space to hang stuff. This is a Tradesman canopy.

IMG_20170131_205614_698.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
I agree with the simple step up and in. If the door frame is kept outward of the wheel wells then you can still haul 4x8 sheets of plywood, as mentioned on barn door posts in various forums.
Getting close to 70,knee issues,barn doors and a hitch step.I don't need a Tommy Lift yet.
I'm old too. A full barn door would be a huge plus.

Guys with FWC's, not quite sure why some leave the tailgate on. For me it would be harder to get in and out of it.

I also like this...where the back of the camper is angled out, way to give a smidge more interior. Might be a pain to transport for delivery, but nothing a simple frame built for it to sit on, bolted to the trailer wouldn't fix.

https://www.offroadtechnik.de/produkte/minicamp/

alutops_toyota_35.jpg

Minicamp-Toyota-Hilux-Double-Cab-3.jpg

alutops_vw_361.jpg

alutops_toyota_65.jpg

Last edited:

jonnyquest

Adventurer
Yes. The benefit of that angled door is less stooping, closer to a direct walk in. I think the barn doors might be easier to close once inside, though. The issue will be maintaining the simplicity of a topper and avoiding too much added weight.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
@Clutch, you could probably install an elevator in the back of the Maltec. The only dink I can come up with is you give up some floor space to accommodate the lift door entry and gained departure angle. So it's not a slam dunk. If you can deal with barn doors and are wanting something more about living space I could see the interior getting cramped if you're stuck inside in poor weather.

DSC02779.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
@Clutch, you could probably install an elevator in the back of the Maltec. The only dink I can come up with is you give up some floor space to accommodate the lift door entry and gained departure angle. So it's not a slam dunk. If you can deal with barn doors and are wanting something more about living space I could see the interior getting cramped if you're stuck inside in poor weather.

View attachment 475745

Those Maltecs are niiiiiice...but price per sq ft....yowzers!

It doesn't have to pouring down rain either...we are still in fire restrictions here...so no camp fire, as soon as the sun goes down, the temperated plummets...so it is head inside the camper to read.

This past trip, was looking at how much actual floor space I have to stand on with my current setup. It is about a 2X4' area. Have a 2X4' table with a chuck box at the front of the bed...and my 52 qt cooler setup on my moto stand on the side. Nice thing about the Wildernest is that the bed flips to the side, so I usually toss a duffle at one end, and some other stuff. With enough room for me to sleep. Works great for one person...couldn't imagine having two in there.

Where I have been camping, it was getting down to 19º and the wind whipping. Have been liking having the cook gear in the camper. Thought of going outside to boil water for coffee or heat up a canned something from Amy's, when the wind is howling and 19º with no sun was not appealing.

Last edited:

OVRLND Campers

Personally, I’m interested in full height barn doors where the tailgate is removed (ala Caravan, etc., topper). Will you fab something similar?

Someday I would like to, but for now I'm just going to stick to the half barn. Without having the truck in possession it would be hard to get it right. If this is something you really wanted I could build one if I could have your truck for a couple of weeks:).

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Someday I would like to, but for now I'm just going to stick to the half barn. Without having the truck in possession it would be hard to get it right. If this is something you really wanted I could build one if I could have your truck for a couple of weeks:).

We need to talk! Benicia's not that far from Reno...might just work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke