OVRLND CAMPERS ONLY : Post your OVRLND Camper build here or a link to your build thread to inspire others!

dstefan

Great go anywhere and stay there set up! I really like the new lift panels Jays using.

Curious to see how you build it out. What are your plans, or are you gonna wait and use it for a while?

ns7i

I'm on the final countdown for picking up my OVRLND camper. Just ordered all the electrical components and I'll be doing a pretty extensive 80/20 buildout over this summer. Can't wait to post pics in early May!

montechie

Great go anywhere and stay there set up! I really like the new lift panels Jays using.

Curious to see how you build it out. What are your plans, or are you gonna wait and use it for a while?

Yeah, I'm already impressed with how it feels on some of the trails, mud, and snow I went on for my return trip. Or rather how the camper doesn't feel, I didn't notice a performance difference with the extra weight and the Gladiator is already way more nimble and capable than the DCLB Tacoma it replaced.

We are planning on doing some basic insulation with wool (Havloc) in the gaps and ceiling, haven't decided how we want to cover the walls yet. We've thought about using canvas or something similar, but anything we do needs to standup to regular gear hauling bed abuse. After the insulation I want to see what heat we need, we already have winter tent camped for decades in Montana winters, so have some pretty toasty sleeping gear. I'm hoping a small electric heater before bed and before getting up will be all the glamping we need. ;)

The topper is going to see a lot of normal use as a mountain bike hauler and weekly trail runner, so no extensive bed builds are planned and our camp setup is pretty simple, usually shared with our '05 LJ. Anything in the bed has to be able to take an occasional hit from bike handles, pedals, chains, etc. Eventually I have thoughts on a removable shelf setup for cooking, work and storage on longer trips, but want to live with the topper/truck for awhile.

dstefan

Sounds like a good plan. Ours certainly evolved as we used it.
We added a Wave 3 heater, but with insulation and down bags have never used it, though haven’t been in much colder than high 30s so far.

Enjoy!

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Also built a seat/storage/vented propane locker that bolts to the OEM utilitrack side/floor rails. Eventually I will redo this out of 80/20 but I wanted to try out the size and location. Propane locker vents to the outside via 2x 1/2" ID tubing to 2 existing holes in the bedside and down to the rocker panel. Propex combustion vent and intake run through existing bed holes with the exhaust next to the truck exhaust and the intake above the wheel well in between the truck bed walls.
IMG_20220408_174330214_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220408_174344411_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
For anyone else with the AF or standard bed height it's super easy to raise and lower the camper with the bed fully deployed. With my bed length it leaves plenty of room down below and means no moving of any bedding.

Last edited:

dstefan

For anyone else with the AF or standard bed height it's super easy to raise and lower the camper with the bed fully deployed. With my bed length it leaves plenty of room down below and means no moving of any bedding.
Can you explain that a bit more? For the life of me I cant figure out how that would work. Not sure what AF is (?) and I have the old style lift panels and cabover with 2” extra height, so maybe thats why, but the differences dont seem that major. Are you crawling up on the extended bed to lift the front after the rear is lifted? Doesn't seem like there’d be enough leverage standing in the rear otherwise. Just really curious.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Can you explain that a bit more? For the life of me I cant figure out how that would work. Not sure what AF is (?) and I have the old style lift panels and cabover with 2” extra height, so maybe thats why, but the differences dont seem that major. Are you crawling up on the extended bed to lift the front after the rear is lifted? Doesn't seem like there’d be enough leverage standing in the rear otherwise. Just really curious.

AF cabover is the cnc bent 1 piece (newer design option). I just crawl up in the bed to raise/drop the front while the rear is up. I can do it with out climbing up just standing in the back of the truck bed but it takes a bit more effort and I would need to build an extension for the locking arm.

dstefan

Got it! I never even thought about it, since my wife and I usually need the space with the bed stowed. I’ll have to try it. would be really handy for a quick get away or middle of the night move. Thanks!

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Got it! I never even thought about it, since my wife and I usually need the space with the bed stowed. I’ll have to try it. would be really handy for a quick get away or middle of the night move. Thanks!
With 3 dogs that's their space lol.

montechie

Also built a seat/storage/vented propane locker that bolts to the OEM utilitrack side/floor rails. Eventually I will redo this out of 80/20 but I wanted to try out the size and location. Propane locker vents to the outside via 2x 1/2" ID tubing to 2 existing holes in the bedside and down to the rocker panel. Propex combustion vent and intake run through existing bed holes with the exhaust next to the truck exhaust and the intake above the wheel well in between the truck bed walls.

That's a great looking heater box. How are you running your propane to the Propex? Is your tank mounted on the outside somewhere on the OVRLND?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior