OVRLND CAMPERS ONLY : Post your OVRLND Camper build here or a link to your build thread to inspire others!

mopwater

I've got a Kuat 2 bike carrier that converts to a 4 if my kids care coming with. It tilts down, but not far enough for me to open the tailgate. So, I bought a RIGD swing out and mounted the bike carrier on that. Not fast, not cheap, and generally stays in place for a while, but it met the needs I had at the time.

I use a Wilco Offroad swing away hitch and a Kuat NV 2.0 thats a decade old.

highly recommend the Wilco. Bombproof and retains second hitch under the swing out. Also angled up for approach angle. Id get the 1up rack over the Kuat though.

mopwater

Put my deposit in this week for a camper to go on my Gladiator. There will be two of us and a dog. Used to a King bed at home and in the iKamper + AluCab setup ill be selling off so hoping my ridiculous questions to Jay about trying to fit big beds, my tall frame, or motorcycles don’t make him question my sanity.

Hopefully can get it installed before some big trips this summer and will likely end up living in it part time.

I’ll keep it set up for truck stuff with the tailgate and likely big side openings like my AluCab has. Pass through for a little AC or heat from remote start would be great too. Not going to be building a lot of furniture at the outset though. Already have dual battery box, DCDC, solar, dometic, pullout kitchen, usb faucet, bedrug, blah blah blah to just throw in.

Big debate is windows. I love em but like security too.

Need to decide what to do about propane as well.

dstefan

i guess that barn houses the frame stretcher to get to 8’ and the pin setter for the bowling alley?? ?

I now see an 06 Tundra in your profile, but on this forum you can never tell what wild build somebody is doing …

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
i guess that barn houses the frame stretcher to get to 8’ and the pin setter for the bowling alley?? ?

I now see an 06 Tundra in your profile, but on this forum you can never tell what wild build somebody is doing …
Tundra is long gone, sold it middle of 2016. Wish I still had it sometimes. Barn has my oldest sons CJ5 and my M38 in it. I do have a frame stretcher but it's way easier to start with an already stretched frame and shorten it to the desired length.

The M715 bed is actually just under 8', I think it's 92" long.

joshmooreguitar

Hey Everyone, I figured I would repost this here in case anyone is looking to buy an OVRLND, and wants to skip the line!

slowride

Nothing super exciting but I took advantage of sales at Tnutz and Prinsu and added cross bars to my roof tracks. I used mounting feet from Prinsu (came with all hardware) and then 1"x2"x55" 8020 for the bars. I have double length roof tracks and for now am doing 3 cross bars. One near the back for my 4 Maxxtrax (using a board mount from Prinsu) when traveling (normally stored inside) and 2 bars up front to carry skis, shovel, etc. I actually use my boards often and wanted a place to keep them on trips when they're dirty/wet/icy. I'm also hoping to protect my roof vent from trees too with the front bars. I added black plastic endcaps from Tnutz to give the ends a finished look.

I ordered hardware and extrusions for an interior shelf and will be adding that and finishing some mount and insulation work soon!

View attachment 756257View attachment 756258

That's a good idea. I didn't realize you could use 8020 as a cross bar.
Question, did the ovrlnd folks install those roof rails? I was wondering if I should get those as an option or not.
It looks like they used the same bolts that seam the camper roof to attach the rails, right?
Also, is the roof sturdy enough to walk around on if you're up there securing cargo?

Cheers

montechie

That's a good idea. I didn't realize you could use 8020 as a cross bar.
Question, did the ovrlnd folks install those roof rails? I was wondering if I should get those as an option or not.
It looks like they used the same bolts that seam the camper roof to attach the rails, right?
Also, is the roof sturdy enough to walk around on if you're up there securing cargo?

Yeah, I noticed that was all many of the overland style roof racks were using for crossbars anyways. Ovrlnd did the roof track install, I opted to get double length to run the full roof line. I would say you cannot walk directly on the roof, the shell seems a little thin for that. If you had a platform rack like a Rhino Rack platform, you would probably be fine walking on those.

KellyM

Adventurer
For those of you who ordered foam mattresses from 3rd parties, did you have them cut the two back corners on an angle to match the camper's angled corners? (Photo below) If not, do you have any fitment issues?

thanks,

Kelly

IMG-4709.jpg

KellyM

Adventurer
Same question. Did you make a decision?

I'm thinking the bottom rail 1-2inch from the bottom (the lowest they can go) and the top rail about even with the top of the front hatch, (not sure what that would measure out to). I'd like to optimize good spacing, but not so high that difficult to reach.
I ended up going with 22" distance between the 80/20 rails. That was the best for me given the molle panels I chose.

As requested, below are a few photos of how the 80/20 rails are attached on the inside of the camper.

IMG-4660 (1).jpgIMG-4661.jpgIMG-4659.jpg

ShrimpBoots

aaaslayer

For those of you who ordered foam mattresses from 3rd parties, did you have them cut the two back corners on an angle to match the camper's angled corners? (Photo below) If not, do you have any fitment issues?

thanks,

Kelly

View attachment 760813

I ordered a 4" foam mattress topper off Amazon, king size. Used an electric hot knife to cut it to the size I needed. As for the angled corners, I did not cut it for that. I left the cut mattress perfectly squared. It doesn't interfere because it is foam, just pushes in. My mattress covers that I had custom made with zippers and piping, also are cut squared on the corners, not angled. No interference with those corners. I would just leave your mattress squared on the corners, no need for angled cuts really.

Edit:

Go to post #68 and #72 for some of my pics of my mattress, where I bought my custom mattress covers and price

KellyM

Adventurer
I ordered a 4" foam mattress topper off Amazon, king size. Used an electric hot knife to cut it to the size I needed. As for the angled corners, I did not cut it for that. I left the cut mattress perfectly squared. It doesn't interfere because it is foam, just pushes in. My mattress covers that I had custom made with zippers and piping, also are cut squared on the corners, not angled. No interference with those corners. I would just leave your mattress squared on the corners, no need for angled cuts really.

Edit:

Go to post #68 and #72 for some of my pics of my mattress, where I bought my custom mattress covers and price
Thanks!

Very helpful as they have an MLK sale this year too.

flydream

I ended up going with 22" distance between the 80/20 rails. That was the best for me given the molle panels I chose.

As requested, below are a few photos of how the 80/20 rails are attached on the inside of the camper.

View attachment 760821View attachment 760819View attachment 760818

Thank you for the pics, looks great!

We have a similar build on an identical truck! We ended up requesting L track instead of 80/20, I think the spacing will be nearly the same and I bet the mounting will be similar.

Our delivery was postponed 1 mo, hopefully in two weeks.

What lights did you mount on the camper?

How do you like having the floor of drawers, still enough head room? You got 11" cabover right?

Have you made in any truck specific upgrades, suspension, etc?

keep posting photos, interested in your build out plans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94