OVRLND CAMPERS ONLY : Post your OVRLND Camper build here or a link to your build thread to inspire others!

KellyM

Adventurer
Thank you for the pics, looks great!

We have a similar build on an identical truck! We ended up requesting L track instead of 80/20, I think the spacing will be nearly the same and I bet the mounting will be similar.

Our delivery was postponed 1 mo, hopefully in two weeks.

What lights did you mount on the camper?

How do you like having the floor of drawers, still enough head room? You got 11" cabover right?

Have you made in any truck specific upgrades, suspension, etc?

keep posting photos, interested in your build out plans.
The flood lights are Leisure LED RV porch utility lights. $10 from Amazon. The hatch light is a Hella Marine strip LED light that can be either white or red colored light. I haven't finished the electrical system, so I can't comment on how well they work. We will put two puck LED reading lights above the sleeping bed and three of the same lights between the fan and the rear of the truck.

The main reason we went with OVRLND is so that we could keep our drawers. We found that the two 5' long drawers I built last year hold nearly everything we need for our trips. The deck above the drawers is 11" above the truck bed with the foam flooring (the drawers are 8" deep). The 11" cabover is perfect for us. I am 6'2" and have a couple of inches of clearance above my head when standing and I can still move around fairly easily with the top closed. We are very pleased with how it turned out.

Our truck has Bilstein 5100s in the front set at 2" above factory and the rear has a set of custom springs from Boise Spring Works and 5160 reservoir shocks set 3" above factory. We have 315/70R17 KO2s in load range E. We have put almost 2,000 miles on the truck since getting the camper. For me everything feels dialed in. Other than a little more wind noise, we forget the OVRLND camper is on the truck.

I ordered a foam mattress and cover which should be here in a couple of weeks. The electrical system is next. We plan to camp in it for a while before deciding whether to build out the interior. I will post some more photos as I get a chance.

flydream

The flood lights are Leisure LED RV porch utility lights. $10 from Amazon. The hatch light is a Hella Marine strip LED light that can be either white or red colored light. I haven't finished the electrical system, so I can't comment on how well they work. We will put two puck LED reading lights above the sleeping bed and three of the same lights between the fan and the rear of the truck.

The main reason we went with OVRLND is so that we could keep our drawers. We found that the two 5' long drawers I built last year hold nearly everything we need for our trips. The deck above the drawers is 11" above the truck bed with the foam flooring (the drawers are 8" deep). The 11" cabover is perfect for us. I am 6'2" and have a couple of inches of clearance above my head when standing and I can still move around fairly easily with the top closed. We are very pleased with how it turned out.

Our truck has Bilstein 5100s in the front set at 2" above factory and the rear has a set of custom springs from Boise Spring Works and 5160 reservoir shocks set 3" above factory. We have 315/70R17 KO2s in load range E. We have put almost 2,000 miles on the truck since getting the camper. For me everything feels dialed in. Other than a little more wind noise, we forget the OVRLND camper is on the truck.

I ordered a foam mattress and cover which should be here in a couple of weeks. The electrical system is next. We plan to camp in it for a while before deciding whether to build out the interior. I will post some more photos as I get a chance.

Awesome!

Thanks for the response, sounds like a great rig!

I'm new to suspension upgrades and am feeling overwhelmed and out of my league, currently sitting stock as '21 F150 Screw 6.5, 2cd attempt at camper delivery next weekend. Thank you for the details on your rig, I'll likely go similar.

Currently debating building a similar although shorter deck of drawers, seems like great place for gear we typically bring like fly rods, skis, waders, etc. I'm about the same height, good to hear you still have standing room.

I'm working in reverse and am building the electrical while waiting on the camper.

KellyM

Adventurer
Awesome!

Thanks for the response, sounds like a great rig!

I'm new to suspension upgrades and am feeling overwhelmed and out of my league, currently sitting stock as '21 F150 Screw 6.5, 2cd attempt at camper delivery next weekend. Thank you for the details on your rig, I'll likely go similar.

Currently debating building a similar although shorter deck of drawers, seems like great place for gear we typically bring like fly rods, skis, waders, etc. I'm about the same height, good to hear you still have standing room.

I'm working in reverse and am building the electrical while waiting on the camper.
You might want to hold off on any suspension upgrades until after you get the camper. I'm not sure they are necessary solely for the OVRLND. If you are looking for more clearance or want to improve the ride, then that is a different issue. I did my suspension upgrades awhile ago when we thought we would go with a slide-in camper. Also, we were looking for more height for the off road routes we like and I wanted to firm up the floaty feel of the stock suspension.

flydream

You might want to hold off on any suspension upgrades until after you get the camper. I'm not sure they are necessary solely for the OVRLND. If you are looking for more clearance or want to improve the ride, then that is a different issue. I did my suspension upgrades awhile ago when we thought we would go with a slide-in camper. Also, we were looking for more height for the off road routes we like and I wanted to firm up the floaty feel of the stock suspension.

Yes, that is the plan. Just researching stage. I'd like to get a sense of the final weight with build out before fully committing.

Phessor

For those who have installed solar panels, how are you routing the wires to allow flex when opening and closing your top?

Fergie

Expedition Leader
I had Jay and his crew run the wires from the top to the back end of the camper. They come through the gland at the forward driver side, run along the roof to the rear driver side, run along the lift panel, and down to the tailgate.

vgreen36

For those who are planning/completed(ing) extensive interior build-outs, are you a mounting base plate, or our you mounting directly to the bed/ side rails? My thought process was to create a baseplate, but unsure how to mount it securely to the bed. any insight or advice would be helpful. I intend on building out a "c" shaped 80/20 to include a slide for the fridge

dstefan

I choose not to use a base plate for weight reasons. My cabinet and bench structure is attached to primarily the Toyota bed rail system with only two uprights directly into the truck bed floor. Those are secured with VHB’d 8020 L brackets and are very solid after 2 years. My fridge slide is bolted directly into the floor.

If you look at post #40, page 3 of this thread, you can see some details and pictures.

MR E30

I choose not to use a base plate for weight reasons. My cabinet and bench structure is attached to primarily the Toyota bed rail system with only two uprights directly into the truck bed floor. Those are secured with VHB’d 8020 L brackets and are very solid after 2 years. My fridge slide is bolted directly into the floor.

If you look at post #40, page 3 of this thread, you can see some details and pictures.

Another second for this guy and his ideas. I have a different camper, but I mounted my storage/bench structure directly to the Tacoma bedside rails and also directly through the sides and floor of the composite bed. My interior build out is permanent. I also have my fridge bolted directly to the bed of the truck, though sans slide in my case.

dstefan

A full sheet of three-quarter inch plywood weighs between 60 and 80 pounds. After having a Tacoma with terrible payload and overloading it without a camper, I tried really hard for a minimalist build to keep within the slightly less terrible payload of my Tundra. I still ended up at exactly my GVWR weight. That’s fully built and with me and my wife, sitting in it, but completely dry and unpacked nothing but the nonremovable stuff. Between mods to the truck, and even with a minimalist build it all adds up way easier than it seems like it will.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94