OVRLND CAMPERS ONLY : Post your OVRLND Camper build here or a link to your build thread to inspire others!

jagarcia89

Just put my deposit down for my ovrlnd and need to make some decisions on hatches, which cab over height, and a few other things. Current plan is to put it on my TRX so my concern with the hatches is it’s just so tall for my 5’7 self.

So far only things on the must have list are clear vinyl windows, front cab window slider, anodizing and half barn doors.

I’ve always used maxxfan deluxe vents on my ambo and van builds but he doesn’t have that option. He said he’d mount any fan I want to buy for $200. So I may skip fans and just do it myself as cutting a 14” hole is pretty easy.

There’s still a possibility I ditch the TRX by the time the build starts and I go a more practical route on a power wagon or something.

I have a lot of reading here to do.

Here’s my current and previous set ups.
da3f226384206b0374247037fad833f8.jpg

06d9b309f2b02ffc083662da620b47aa.jpg

1057a8339a44f535c49772ae8e6f4094.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeyRd

I put a deposit down at the beginning of January and couldn't be more excited. Until then, I will live vicariously through all of you. Loving all of the build ideas.

I'm definitely getting anodized, half barn doors, vinyl windows, frontrunner tracks, flip up hatches, Maxxfan, solar, awning and propane mount. Still debating the headliner and whether to purchase the artic liner or try to make one on my own.

jagarcia89

Anyone know how they route the wiring for the fans? I know where the end up but curious how the routing works with the pop top motion. I’m currently leaning for no fan so I can install the one I want and save $200

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Anyone know how they route the wiring for the fans? I know where the end up but curious how the routing works with the pop top motion. I’m currently leaning for no fan so I can install the one I want and save $200

I'm doing a diy fan install. I want to spend some time with it before deciding a location, wiring etc.

ns7i

I believe all wiring gets routed to the driver side rear of the bed unless you request otherwise

jagarcia89

I believe all wiring gets routed to the driver side rear of the bed unless you request otherwise

Yeah, I know where it ends up. But curious how roof wiring gets to the lower part given the pop top motion. I can’t imagine there’s just a wire dangling when it’s down.

Wrathchild

I would recommend having Jay install from the get go. I’m very happy with mine, and frankly it would be a pain to install after it’s on the truck. Just my opinion.

jagarcia89

My fan wiring was routed along the roof bars and down the rear lift mechanism. Redid it the routing with my insulation.

Mind sharing how you redid it? Or did you still route it along the lift mechanism?

Thanks for the advice on doing it from the get go, but wanting 2 fans I just can’t justify spending $400 on installation alone plus $300 each in fans when I have all the supplies already (jigsaw blades for aluminum and butyl tape).

I’ve installed quite a few of these in steel skinned vans and aluminum skinned ambulances and it takes all of 30 minutes including measuring and everything.

Perhaps if I were going with the fans he uses I would as the pricing works out to be a bit more in line.

aaaslayer

Gets zip tied to the roof frame out of the way, goes towards the driver rear, hidden behind the lift panel, at which point it is joined in a wire loom with the wiring from the 3rd brake light. Both the fan and 3rd brake light are in a wire loom that go down towards the rear frame corner driver side, clipped into the frame using these clip on zip ties. Not just a basic zip tie, I don't know the proper name for the part used, but it's like a push pin zip tie, like what you see under your hood holding factory wiring in place. Very sturdy.

I would highly recommend you pay the $200 install fee and have them do it. My time is valuable to me and extremely limited due to business, so for them to do it for $200 was a no brainer. They cut the hole, clean it all up, build the frame around it so the roof maintains its structure, properly install and seal it. That would take the average joe with tools and know how a few hours and headache and clean up and putting all your weight on the roof. I value those hours I would have spent doing it myself a lot more than I value $200 bucks so it was worth every penny paying them to do it, plus it falls under warranty. And the most important thing being, they built the roof frame around my fan as opposed to cutting the roof frame to install a fan and having roof framing dangling now and having to re weld framing around it. You're already spending several thousand on the pop top, what's $200 bucks more? That's the way I justify it.

Thoughts one two of these for a mattress? https://loungieliving.com/collections/flip-recliner/products/relaxie-flip-chair-linen

Seems like it would provide a nice way to sit up up top and could also be used downstairs as a chair.

I personally see more comfort and versatility from a foam topper/mattress. For example, I bought a king size mattress topper. 4 inches thick. I cut it in 2 pcs, 76x40 each. One section remains up top always, that fills up the platform up top perfectly when the bed is stowed away. The other 76x40 section I cut into half, 2 sections of 76x20.

Each section now functions as a bench seat cushion downstairs that sit on top of my bench storage I have for each side of the truck bed. When the king size bed up top is deployed, I grab the 2 bottom sections, place them up top, and it completes my giant bed up top. When I'm camping solo, I leave the cushions downstairs and fit nice and snug up top without deploying the bed. I had custom zippered cushion covers with piping in waterproof sunbrella fabric made for my cushions.

jagarcia89

Gets zip tied to the roof frame out of the way, goes towards the driver rear, hidden behind the lift panel, at which point it is joined in a wire loom with the wiring from the 3rd brake light. Both the fan and 3rd brake light are in a wire loom that go down towards the rear frame corner driver side, clipped into the frame using these clip on zip ties. Not just a basic zip tie, I don't know the proper name for the part used, but it's like a push pin zip tie, like what you see under your hood holding factory wiring in place. Very sturdy.

I would highly recommend you pay the $200 install fee and have them do it. My time is valuable to me and extremely limited due to business, so for them to do it for $200 was a no brainer. They cut the hole, clean it all up, build the frame around it so the roof maintains its structure, properly install and seal it. That would take the average joe with tools and know how a few hours and headache and clean up and putting all your weight on the roof. I value those hours I would have spent doing it myself a lot more than I value $200 bucks so it was worth every penny paying them to do it, plus it falls under warranty. And the most important thing being, they built the roof frame around my fan as opposed to cutting the roof frame to install a fan and having roof framing dangling now and having to re weld framing around it. You're already spending several thousand on the pop top, what's $200 bucks more? That's the way I justify it

Appreciate the feedback. Fortunately I think I have some time for the final decision and will certainly discuss options with Jay. My intent would be to have the layout the same just not have them cut the holes. This would also allow me to decide in sections if I want 1 or 2 fans. There shouldn’t be any welding necessary as part of this and never have had to weld in all the fans I’ve installed in various previous builds. I get the “what’s another $200” position but it all adds up. Difference between an all in build and a basic build is like $4000.

Other question: hatches and side windows??? My initial thought was no on the hatch because the bed side of my truck is over chest high and no on the window for security. But a screened side window would make it so I could get away with one fan and make for good airflow. And a hatch may provide option down the road. Would do a flip down hatch but I don’t think it’ll work given the wide fenders on the TRX

Anyone have thoughts on those two parts or can share what you are using your side hatches for?

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Appreciate the feedback. Fortunately I think I have some time for the final decision and will certainly discuss options with Jay. My intent would be to have the layout the same just not have them cut the holes. This would also allow me to decide in sections if I want 1 or 2 fans. There shouldn’t be any welding necessary as part of this and never have had to weld in all the fans I’ve installed in various previous builds. I get the “what’s another $200” position but it all adds up. Difference between an all in build and a basic build is like $4000.

Other question: hatches and side windows??? My initial thought was no on the hatch because the bed side of my truck is over chest high and no on the window for security. But a screened side window would make it so I could get away with one fan and make for good airflow. And a hatch may provide option down the road. Would do a flip down hatch but I don’t think it’ll work given the wide fenders on the TRX

Anyone have thoughts on those two parts or can share what you are using your side hatches for?

The frame is the same fan or no fan (I asked). So the fan should just be cut a hole and wire.

On the hatches. I went back and forth too. Ultimately I decided it would be a pain to add in the future so I did one on the passenger side (fold up). Figure it will be a versatile addition but I don't see a need for two.

jagarcia89

The frame is the same fan or no fan (I asked). So the fan should just be cut a hole and wire.

On the hatches. I went back and forth too. Ultimately I decided it would be a pain to add in the future so I did one on the passenger side (fold up). Figure it will be a versatile addition but I don't see a need for two.

That’s what I figured on the frame. Wouldn’t make sense to do it otherwise.

What do you use your hatch for if you don’t mind me asking? Have you gotten use out of it?

bgraboyes

What do you use your hatch for if you don’t mind me asking? Have you gotten use out of it?

I know you didn't ask me but i'll chime in. I put my powered cooler facing the side hatch so i can get into it for cold beverages w/o crawling inside. Makes it a little more annoying getting to it from the inside but i use the outside access feature a lot and am pretty happy with my setup. I use the other hatch to arrange and access things that are in the front of the truck bed again w/o crawling inside. once i had a cap with windoors, i swore i would never go without them again, hence the hatches.

I will also add my voice to the chorus of good reviews regarding communication w/ @OVRLND Campers . I pestered Jay with 10,000 questions before and after purchasing my camper. He didn't always get back to me same day, but when he did, he would stay on the phone for up to 45 minutes helping me out with any problem or question. Even facetimed with me once to understand a question i had. Bought a camper from a different company a few years ago and i would surely say OVRLND is leagues ahead of the competition. Honestly some of the best customer service i have had.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior