OVRLND CAMPERS ONLY : Post your OVRLND Camper build here or a link to your build thread to inspire others!

dstefan

@wowf — FWIW the way I mounted the awning to the tonneau cover on my old Tacoma was with a “C” channel awning strip that was the width of my vehicle VHB’d with a few pop rivets to a piece of light but stiff alum “u”channel from HD. That assembly was bolted directly, but temporarily to the mounting nuts in the Yakima tracks on my tonneau cover.

First time I used the awning on a trip I just screwed in two bolts to mount the awning track to the Yakima track and left it on until we were ready to go home. Easy to make and set up. You could likely mount a similar assembly to your roof rack if you’re not happy with how your current set up is working.

wowf

@dstefan I’ll give that idea some thought next time I have it set up. It sounds more promising than the hinged pole “solution” (read “likely disaster”) that I’ve been dreaming up.

Jascra

I've been pondering the keder style awning myself, something similar to what Dragonfly Tarps has. Will probably install a 'C' channel on either side for versatility on where we need the shade. I have a concept in mind for a 270 keder that would cover the side and rear. Maybe I'm a little too ambitious there lol.

mishoy

Here's an early stage draft. Mainly just playing around with allocation of space. I'm trying to do a lot. The "downstairs" will sleep two young children and two dogs. Big thing on the passenger side will be fridge on a slide on the bottom with some kind of "pantry/storage". Storage underneath the benches which will convert to a bed. I'm definitely planning on using a lot of the vertical wall space for velcro bags (like Blue Ridge Overland). There's a ton of great ideas on the Vagabond Drifter thread on Tacoma World (beware it'll take you many hours to go through). I won't start building anything other than a baseplate until after I have the camper on hand to confirm dimensions and play with real world fitment.
Hey, I am also looking at setting up things for a family of 4. What did you go with in terms or windows/side hatches? Just about to put our order in and trying to balance light vs storage vs functionality. Thanks!

ns7i

Hey, I am also looking at setting up things for a family of 4. What did you go with in terms or windows/side hatches? Just about to put our order in and trying to balance light vs storage vs functionality. Thanks!
On the drivers side it'll be a sliding window. Mostly this is for the dogs but I figure it'll also be nice to get some light in. On the passenger side there'll be a flip up hatch. The 270 awning will be on the passenger side. I'll definitely be sharing more in the next few weeks. I'm making the pilgrimage to Flagstaff in the first week of May and have started work on my baseplate. I'm also planning on sealing under my bed rail caps before I pick it up.

The balance between light vs storage vs functionality is real. You could throw expensive into the mix too. I'm planning on building this out with 8020 and baltic birch but in general I'm leaning towards things like soft boxes over heavier things like drawers.

One of the biggest goals for us is being able to get out of the house ASAP when we decide to camp. It's already exhausting trying to get out of the house with two toddlers so we're envisioning a world where we throw some food in the fridge and get on the road so storage is a huge part of making that dream a reality.

bonuscup

I just ordered my camper and while it's an 8 month wait, can't help but start going down the rabbit hole planning the interior build.

For those of you with kids (or just a need for more sleeping space than just the bed up top), what options are there to set up "bunks" either at the bulkhead or either side of the lower part of the camper?

I have two little ones that I would like to have a space for down below, preferably something that can be stowed away until its time to sleep if at all possible.

aaaslayer

I just ordered my camper and while it's an 8 month wait, can't help but start going down the rabbit hole planning the interior build.

For those of you with kids (or just a need for more sleeping space than just the bed up top), what options are there to set up "bunks" either at the bulkhead or either side of the lower part of the camper?

I have two little ones that I would like to have a space for down below, preferably something that can be stowed away until its time to sleep if at all possible.

I built 2 storage benches at the bottom and cut a giant king size foam topper, leaving 2 cushions for the bottom and the rest to fit perfectly up top when the bed is stowed. The 2 cushions downstairs complete the mattress up top when the bed is deployed. If I have my entire family with me, I deploy the bed and we all sleep up top. If it's just me and say my toddler and my dog, I sleep up top with the bed stowed. I fit perfectly fine up there at a slight angle (I'm not tall). My daughter can sleep perfectly fine in any of the benches downstairs. Also, not shown in the pic, but I added pieces of wood strip to each bench on the sides so that I can slide on a long piece of ply wood that functions as both the floor in between the benches, and when I want extra bed space downstairs, I can slide the flooring onto the wood strips I added, and now I have a giant sleeping area downstairs that's slightly bigger than a queen size mattress. I cut the floor ply wood into 2 sections one larger, one smaller, so the smaller stays on the floor if not needed and that way you can "sit up" if you need to stand up to exit or to use the toilet (which is stowed away in one of the benches. I've had 2 full size adults sleep downstairs one on each bench no problem, I made them 22" wide. So it should be no problem at all for smaller children. If you want, you can also add a removable middle section between the benches like I did so you can sleep 3-4 people in the bottom if you'd like. I can probably sleep 4 up top, and 4 downstairs if I wanted to. But I would never have that many people back there at a time anyway.

Attachments

• 20220321_155320_resized.jpg
    20220321_155320_resized.jpg
    604.9 KB · Views: 257

dstefan

Well thats a drag! I thought that was a great idea. Does the adhesive residue mess things up underneath the tiles?

FWIW, I know that Coroplast makes a fabric coated sheet, but I was never able to find an easy way to get it.

VanDominator13

Observer
Hi everyone. I've been lurking on this thread for a little while gathering ideas. I love the DIY culture of the ovrlnd camper squad! I've placed my order on an Ovrlnd shell for my yet to be delivered Ford f250, basically going to do a similar build to what a lot of people are doing here. Bedrug, Insulate, pretty basic electrical system. Also putting sail track on both sides as well as the back of the camper.
I'm planning to keep the bed of my truck empty so I can continue to use if for work, so a permanent 80/20 buildout isn't in the cards. But I've come across something interesting that I haven't seen in this thread yet that I thought I'd share. I'd like to hear what this group thinks of these bed side storage boxes. Not sure if they could be mounted in a way that they could easily be removed, but if I can figure that part out they would at least add a couple of benches to the sides of the bed along with a little bit of storage.

EX121

Hi everyone. I've been lurking on this thread for a little while gathering ideas. I love the DIY culture of the ovrlnd camper squad! I've placed my order on an Ovrlnd shell for my yet to be delivered Ford f250, basically going to do a similar build to what a lot of people are doing here. Bedrug, Insulate, pretty basic electrical system. Also putting sail track on both sides as well as the back of the camper.
I'm planning to keep the bed of my truck empty so I can continue to use if for work, so a permanent 80/20 buildout isn't in the cards. But I've come across something interesting that I haven't seen in this thread yet that I thought I'd share. I'd like to hear what this group thinks of these bed side storage boxes. Not sure if they could be mounted in a way that they could easily be removed, but if I can figure that part out they would at least add a couple of benches to the sides of the bed along with a little bit of storage.

they look very nice, but spendy. I'm also looking for storage that allows me to use most of the truck bed. Will probably build something to fit just the wheel wells.

K9LTW

Hi everyone. I've been lurking on this thread for a little while gathering ideas…

Pretty cool, and I can see the appeal if you want to be able to remove them. For me, though, I want to be able to access any storage from the inside. I’d hate to have to open up the back in crappy weather…or, well, anytime…just to grab something.

Something to keep in mind, too, is how high they may be to reach into if you have a lift/tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jagarcia89

I really like that. I wonder if they are strong enough to stand on to aid in getting in and out of bed. I like the little drawer down low but I wonder if there’s a way to utilize the space in front of the wheel well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VanDominator13

Observer
they look very nice, but spendy. I'm also looking for storage that allows me to use most of the truck bed. Will probably build something to fit just the wheel wells.

Definitely spendy. But I have to weigh what my time is worth also. I can either build something myself, during which time I could potentially be making money, or pay to have someone else build it. At this point I'm thinking it's almost a wash. If I build something myself I can integrate a way to attach them to the 80/20 channel on the inside of the camper into the design. If I buy these things I'll probably still have to put some time into figuring out how to mount them to the inside of the camper.
Pretty cool, and I can see the appeal if you want to be able to remove them. For me, though, I want to be able to access any storage from the inside. I’d hate to have to open up the back in crappy weather…or, well, anytime…just to grab something.

Something to keep in mind, too, is how high they may be to reach into if you have a lift/tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point. If these opened on the top to access the storage rather than a drawer that would be awesome.

VanDominator13

Observer
I really like that. I wonder if they are strong enough to stand on to aid in getting in and out of bed. I like the little drawer down low but I wonder if there’s a way to utilize the space in front of the wheel well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HDPE is pretty tough. I'd bet you could stand on them without worry. I don't think they're that long. I guess it depends on your bed length but there would definitely be a gap between the back of the drawer and the front of my bed.

1653166096999.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles