Oz to Norway via West Africa

nick_jaffe

Hi all,

I am currently on a mission to drive from the most southern road in Australia (bottom of Tasmania) to the most northern road in Europe (North Cape, Norway) via West Africa. I am driving an Australian ex-military Land Rover 110 which I converted over a very short timeframe before heading off for a lap around Australia, via the Simpson Desert and top end, to Perth. No power steering, no airconditioning and only four gears - pure metal, diesel, dust, noise & canvas!

My Landy was then packed into a 20ft container and and shipped out early Dec, landing in Cape Town, South Africa in a couple of weeks.

I've attached a few pics of the prep. I was so busy with the build on my own I didn't take that many photos, however you get the gist. I painted over the camo because I didn't want unneeded attention in Africa etc. Specs and build:

• 1991 Land Rover 110 with Isuzu 4BD1 Engine, LT95 fourspeed box, 90,000km on the clock (20,000km by me)
  • Canvas canopy by Team Perentie
  • 70l internal water storage & pump
  • Standard 65l diesel tank + 65l in jerry cans
  • Front Runner Slimline rack + many Front Runner rack accessories
  • Custom centre console box with device charging station
  • Sound deadening across bulkhead and floor
  • Rear pull-out Engel fridge and food storage
  • Alucobond all around the rear section underneath canvas (security) + alucobond gas strut rear door
  • Wolf rims & BFGoodrich all-terrain KO2 + two spares
  • Koni suspension on all four corners + heavy duty rear coils
  • Custom self-sewn storage, deadening pads etc
  • Fixed air compressor

Work to be completed in Cape Town this month when the container arrives: Addition of rooftop tent (Front Runner), moving spare from roof rack to bonnet, additional jerry holders (Front Runner) + improved vehicle security, new front coils.

I spent a week with Expedition Centre (Sydney) on completing the build - with full workshop access and their expertise, the vehicle was finished within a week. Full transparency: Expedition Centre & Front Runner have helped support this expedition with time & equipment.

More info at www.cape2kapp.com and instagram.com/nick_jaffe for anyone interested!

Cheers, Nick

IF2A0994-untitled.jpgIF2A1055-untitled.jpgIF2A0625-untitled.jpgIF2A0540-untitled.jpgIF2A9886-untitled.jpgIF2A0080-untitled.jpgIF2A0075-untitled.jpgDJI_0649-untitled.jpgIF2A9900-untitled.jpgIF2A9891-untitled.jpg

Surfy

Adventurer
It sound for a great trip! Hope you feed us here, so that we will visit your blog more often :)

Have a nice trip! Hope to get some flashbacks too :)

Andyshane

Hi all,

I am currently on a mission to drive from the most southern road in Australia (bottom of Tasmania) to the most northern road in Europe (North Cape, Norway) via West Africa. I am driving an Australian ex-military Land Rover 110 which I converted over a very short timeframe before heading off for a lap around Australia, via the Simpson Desert and top end, to Perth. No power steering, no airconditioning and only four gears - pure metal, diesel, dust, noise & canvas!

My Landy was then packed into a 20ft container and and shipped out early Dec, landing in Cape Town, South Africa in a couple of weeks.

I've attached a few pics of the prep. I was so busy with the build on my own I didn't take that many photos, however you get the gist. I painted over the camo because I didn't want unneeded attention in Africa etc. Specs and build:

• 1991 Land Rover 110 with Isuzu 4BD1 Engine, LT95 fourspeed box, 90,000km on the clock (20,000km by me)
  • Canvas canopy by Team Perentie
  • 70l internal water storage & pump
  • Standard 65l diesel tank + 65l in jerry cans
  • Front Runner Slimline rack + many Front Runner rack accessories
  • Custom centre console box with device charging station
  • Sound deadening across bulkhead and floor
  • Rear pull-out Engel fridge and food storage
  • Alucobond all around the rear section underneath canvas (security) + alucobond gas strut rear door
  • Wolf rims & BFGoodrich all-terrain KO2 + two spares
  • Koni suspension on all four corners + heavy duty rear coils
  • Custom self-sewn storage, deadening pads etc
  • Fixed air compressor

Work to be completed in Cape Town this month when the container arrives: Addition of rooftop tent (Front Runner), moving spare from roof rack to bonnet, additional jerry holders (Front Runner) + improved vehicle security, new front coils.

I spent a week with Expedition Centre (Sydney) on completing the build - with full workshop access and their expertise, the vehicle was finished within a week. Full transparency: Expedition Centre & Front Runner have helped support this expedition with time & equipment.

More info at www.cape2kapp.com and instagram.com/nick_jaffe for anyone interested!

Cheers, Nick

View attachment 560657View attachment 560658View attachment 560659View attachment 560660View attachment 560661View attachment 560662View attachment 560663View attachment 560664View attachment 560665View attachment 560666
I hope your vacation gives you the pleasure you need so that you don't have to think of any problems back at home.

FJOE

Regular Dude
In my own experience in east and west Africa, vehicles that look overtly military (such as your paint scheme and canvas top) do attarct unwanted attention sometimes, especially given the language barriers. This is dependent on the specific areas you are traveling in. Plan carefully. Many groups (gov't and non-gov't) won't hesitate to take a few shots from afar, not being able to see your logos and decals as civilian in nature.

alanymarce

In my own experience in east and west Africa, vehicles that look overtly military (such as your paint scheme and canvas top) do attarct unwanted attention sometimes, especially given the language barriers. This is dependent on the specific areas you are traveling in. Plan carefully. Many groups (gov't and non-gov't) won't hesitate to take a few shots from afar, not being able to see your logos and decals as civilian in nature.
...and in mine in Central and Southern Africa on the Atlantic coast. Without getting into detail, this resulted in the tragic end of a journey being made by friends.

Presumably to get from Cape Town to West Africa you're going to transit Southern and Central Africa - patience and diplomacy are essential!

Lovetheworld

Maybe wrap the black part in a nice color, or replace the canvas by another color. Not including sand/desert colors.
I don't know how high the risk is though.

Good luck.

V23gen

Paint the car another colour…. Not white or green or beige…. Get it wrapped…. My suggestion would be yellow or something bright enough to offset the canvas. You’re not the UN nor Wagner nor Sandline.

Past Namibia they will not like a military look. I wasn’t going to comment as I don’t like people giving me such advice.

Think from an underpaid soldiers perspective guarding a dirt road somewhere between Angola and Maroc. The man is more than likely a nice guy but really can’t risk letting a guy in in a military vehicle proceed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles