Pacific Expedition Camper

KMR

Adventurer
That is quite simply a splendid setup!
The few photos on the website show the results of a really in depth design process. Lots of really spiffy ideas there.

blupaddler

Conspirator
I have talked to the guy before.

He surfs Wind'n, and uses the rig for his travels to Baja. Pretty nice on the inside.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
I am constantly amazed at the creativity and ingenuity of folks who are so-called 'beach bums'.

Righteous, dude.....:)

VikingVince

Explorer
That's great...looks like another option is coming to the market!
THeir website isn't fully completed yet, but it appears they're planning on selling to the public...should be interesting...wonder what their pricing will be like.

theMec

Adventurer
My idea - fabricated !!

Ursa Minor - Big Thanks!!
I've been mentally designing a flatbed buildup like this for sometime. This is great and definitely has some better ideas than mine.

Now I need some money ...

haven

Expedition Leader
er2K

Nice find!

The Pacific Expedition camper shares some similarities with Bill Swails' Earthroamer 2000 (ER2K) project, namely a Nida-Core body mounted on a lifted Dodge 4x4 with a very short flatbed. Bill's design adds an over-cab sleeper.

earthroamer2K.jpg

The ER2K was built in 1999 by Safari Vehicles Manufacturing, near Vancouver BC. Read about this project here:
http://www.earthroamer.com/tab_aboutus/camper.html
Lots of construction photos here
http://www.earthroamer.com/tab_aboutus/svm/index.htm

Safari Vehicles Manufacturing is no longer in business.

The ER2K vehicle was advertised for sale a couple of times, but I guess there were no takers. The ER2K made an appearance at the recent Earthroamer owners rally.

earthroamer2K-2.jpg

Bill Swails has written that he was satisfied with the ER2K design for solo travel, but it didn't have enough space for two people to comfortaby live aboard for an extended period. So the first Earthroamer for commercial sale was a larger design, more of a "rough road RV" expedition camper than a rockhopper.

Personally, I think Bill should consider reviving the ER2K design, with the camper mounted in a way that's easily removable. The ER2K's Dodge chassis is a beefed-up 2500 series, more the sort of vehicle you'd want to use as a work truck. The camper is bigger than the Jeep-based micro-Earthroamer, but a lot lighter and more compact than the F550-based mega-Earthroamer.

Chip Haven

toyrunner95

Explorer
I remember being enthralled with the er2k trip in four wheeler magazine. That was the first thing that really got me interested in expeditions. The combination of personal creation infused with outdoors enlightenment was amazing. I liked going to new places and working with my hands. It was a great combination. I would buy the er2k if it wasn't like $90k. But the platform and idea is solid. The new earth roamers look too much like a beefed up Winnebago with a lift kit and a winch....... wait..... i got an idea ill be back in a bit. muhahahaha!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94