Pajero Mk1 Tourer build-up

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
awesome build, keep it coming.

Any plans for the first big trip when it's done?

Are you going to build a storage/drawer system?

Cruisn

Adventurer
awesome build, keep it coming.

Any plans for the first big trip when it's done?

Are you going to build a storage/drawer system?

I am starting the rear storage tomorrow, Material showed earlier this week, jsut didnt have time to start it today, as the guy with the shop keys showed at 2pm... bahh.. forget that. will be starting at 7am tomorrow for a good start. then if I need anything I can get it while stores are still open.

The first big trip will be to finish our lap around australia, our first bit we went from brisbane to perth via all the central gravel roads aka - middle of nowhere. jsut the way we like it, as the wagon sits now it can head on out on a cruise, but i jsut want a few creature comforts, like a fridge, and a nice sleeping arrangement.

The next leg will either be to ship the wagon back home to Canada and go from the arctic ocean to the tip of south america or we will ship right to brazil, and drive home, which woul dbe pretty cool to.

Cruisn

Adventurer
Well, got a little more done today, I started off with cleaning up my wheel wells and cleaning the wheels since they have been neglacted quite badly.

The wheel wells show no rust, but the old coating was chipping away and I figured it was time to get in there with a wire wheel and peel the rest away then recoat.
turned out not to bad, I am happy with the looks.

cleanming.jpg

rubbercoat.jpg

Wheel cleaning: This part I like, they turned out amazing. im scared someone will pinch them now... *shifty eyes*

Before:
before1.jpg

before.jpg

After:
after1.jpg

after.jpg

nice.jpg

Start of fabbing up a drawer system, using 25mm square tube 1.6mm wall. very light, but strong to work with.

fabupstage1.jpg

Will be back in the shop tomorrow to get more done on the drawer system. hope to have it carpeted by tomorrow. the drawers will ahve to wait a bit more. still sourcing sliders.

Cruisn

Adventurer
Pretty happy with todays progress, got the top of the drawer system finished, which is a miricle in itself as I cannot do carpentry to save my life... but give me some steel and I can make a work of art.. intersting... LOL

Started with a test fit:

testfit.jpg

Then I did some carpeting:

carpet2.jpg

Installed:
top2.jpg

top.jpg

little side doors:
sidedoors.jpg

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Not sure how tall you are but I'm short enough that I can easily sleep in back of my 96SR so I built a folding bed platform to allow me to do just that. It may be worth considering for your build up.

Here's what mine looks like in back....:ylsmoke:
DSC_4576.gif

So far I've had it on some pretty rough trails w/out a hiccup.

Elliot Press

Observer
Stoked to see this thread. Wanna help my mate set up his Paj for touring...and we're in Perth too. This will be a helpful thread.

Cruisn

Adventurer
I will be removing the middle row to build more platform for storage and such, since its only me and my girlfriend.

elliot, what are working on? what year? start a build thread too maybe?? would be intersted to see it.

on other news, jsut ordered a deep cycle battery, battery isolator, led strip lights, and gasket kit for the diesel engine.

Elliot Press

Observer
elliot, what are working on? what year? start a build thread too maybe?? would

Can't quite remember what year it is. It's a 3.0 L V6 I think. We took it away with my Toyota aswell on a big trip down to Bremer Bay and up far North last years. He's a video with some footage of it. It's basically a stock rig. He's been overseas for the last 6 months and now he's home (just arrived) we can hopefully start working on it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK_-MQuX9Wc"]YouTube - Preview video of our epic trip around WA[/ame]

I need a new rig too. Retiring the Toyota. Don't know if a Pajero is the thing for me. Are the turbo diesels anygood? I refuse to go petrol for expo rigs.

Cruisn

Adventurer
New goodies for the wagon, A complete front end rebuild less bushings. LOL might order a new set up since I am in there. not sure though. either way tight steering will be nice.

rebuildfrontend.jpg

And what is to be my underbody air tank. needs a clean up, but for free you cant complain. with a body lift in place it will sit jsut above the bottom of the frame. so nothing should hit it. its made by cat, so it should be tough regardless.

airtank.jpg

Cruisn

Adventurer
Today was a good day, still collecting parts right now. but that is still good.

Got a deep cycle battery, 105amp hour heavy duty
deepcycle.jpg

And an isolator to control the dual battery setup:
selenoid.jpg

Relay, this part was free!! thanks to the electricians at work for this one, it is to control the pressure switch that will run my air compressor and tank setup. I have a spare air con pump, not sure if I want a belt driven pump that can really crank out the cfm's or run an arb electric compressor.
relay.jpg

And the engine goodies, top end gasket kit for the diesel engine. cant wait for this part!!!

tropendgasket.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles