(partially) new Tundra coming?

phsycle

Adventurer
That statement confuses me. Neither is built for "work" that I can tell. If they were they'd be more spartan and simple with higher payloads. Like a Hilux (maybe), or HD truck. Pickups in the US are mostly bought for everyday commuting.

I thought the same regarding that statement. Tundra may have a work grade trim available, but all the ad's and marketing says it's just a bigger version of the Tacoma. Look at the Tundra page. There are exactly zero pictures of the truck on a work site. But many pictures of hauling a toy hauler, camping, fishing, etc. Tundra is not purpose built for "Work."

1578588897854.png

calicamper

Expedition Leader
This is a point of view thing. From my point of view, CC trucks are the cats meow, and Suburbans and 4runners are obsolete.

-I can put 4 fullsize refrigerators in my bed, or stack up my 55 gallon camp totes, with my gear, AND everyone elses.
That compromised bed is still many times larger than the inside of an SUV. A Tundra should still be good for 2 fridges or 4 totes.

-Can carry motorcycles and bicycles upright.
-Fold down seats are useless, because cargo in the interior, just tears up the interior. I hate abused looking interiors, and it hurts resale. Not to mention what a 80 pound steel Scuba tank will do to someones face in a crash.

-slide in campers, flat beds and camp boxes etc.
-can crate the dogs in the bed, instead of inside where they can't piss and $%^& everywhere

I'm never going back to SUV's.

It all depends on use. Last weekend I followed 6 full sized pickups into the ski resort parking lot. All had 5 people in them. Three had hard bed caps on the beds, one had a huge locking plastic tool tote and two just had their junk in open beds. I was parked with them in my Expedition also with 5 people in two rows. One hard top cap guy next too me and the giant tool tote guy. I was missing a tailgate which I do miss. But I liked having my dry clean trunk. LOL

I’ve had trucks and did truck stuff with them each one has its plusses. The 2019 Expedition drives like a Really big sport wagon and hauls people really well. My trucks never did that stuff very well. If I need to haul real stuff I just use my trailer. Plus I don’t ding up my vehicle.

On the flip side being able to run a camper without a trailer would be nice.

rruff

Explorer
That's the way I understand it too?

Shared platform can mean all sorts of things. The Titan and Frontier have been on a shared platform but they certainly don't share the same frame, cab, bed, interior, engines, drivetrain, suspension, brakes, etc. I believe it just means that Toyota is designing them in concert and sharing parts when possible, and making it easier to build both at the same plant. If they were so similar in size that they used the same frame, I don't see the point of having both.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The Rav4 and Highlander are available in Hybrid.

https://www.toyota.com/?srchid=sem:...n40kIteo_yn20pG5ThxoC7NkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Plus Hino has a one in the medium duty line.

http://www.hino.com/hino-trucks-hino-195h.html

Makes a lot sense in a truck, especially with the current pissing match of the "Torque Wars"...can't beat an electric motor for torque.

Don't think I would be too worried about reliability, Prius can easily go 200K. Couple out there with over 500K on them.

https://artofgears.com/2016/02/23/this-second-generation-toyota-prius-has-close-to-600000-miles/
Prius Taxis get run 350,000 mi then typically get a new crate ICE motor. The Prius I rode in up in Seattle a few months ago had 450,000 on it three owner taxi he said the hybrid gear was all original but they did the crate ice motor swap at 340,000. He said that’s pretty much standard practice for the prius taxi.

The hybrid stuff easily outlasts the ICE stuff these days.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Reality is that the government is forcing the end if diesel. Between ULSD and emissions, and the fact that even with the best of technologies, companies are unable to pass gov't standards... tells us either the government standards are idiotic... or they are working exactly like the government intends.

:(
That independent test was done by a law office thats created its entire existence around filing lawsuits against auto makers. VW was busted because they actually used onboard software designed to cheat the emissions testing.

BMW, Mercedes were not doing software cheating, and the testing done by that company was viewed as not only biased but manipulated. Especially after the legit VW disaster resulted in over 1 billion $ being paid / set aside to California from VW. On the flip side that 1B is being used to build out EV charging network which is why VW had zero choice to go big on EV development.

VW basically was forced to invest 1B in the largest Auto market in the US.When facing that you better have some serious come to Jesus talks about your vehicle line up sold in that market. Like plugin everything on the dealer lot. LOL

bkg

Explorer
No way. They'd have to make the trucks about the same size and weight and that would be silly.

The trucks (Frontier/Titan) are not that different in size... It's a statement I've read numerous times in Nissan articles... Look at the T100/Hilux - basically the same frame... and about same size difference.

rruff

Explorer
The trucks (Frontier/Titan) are not that different in size... It's a statement I've read numerous times in Nissan articles... Look at the T100/Hilux - basically the same frame... and about same size difference.
Are you saying the T100 and Hilux shared a frame?

The Titan is 28-38% heavier than a Frontier; that's 38% between the lightest configuration of each, and 28% between the heaviest. If you compare the heaviest Titan to lightest Frontier it's 57%. And all the dimensions are proportionally bigger. I don't know how they could share structural components unless one or both were far from optimal.

bkg

Explorer
Are you saying the T100 and Hilux shared a frame?

The Titan is 28-38% heavier than a Frontier; that's 38% between the lightest configuration of each, and 28% between the heaviest. If you compare the heaviest Titan to lightest Frontier it's 57%. And all the dimensions are proportionally bigger. I don't know how they could share structural components unless one or both were far from optimal.

the T100 and 86-95 HIlux used essentially the same frame. Sure, minor differences, but the rails are almost identical. I've owned both.

It's not like this is an unknown situation. Here's some detail for you.
https://www.clubfrontier.org/threads/frame-comparisons-vs-titan.340154/

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
This from the link you posted:
"At Nissan, a 'platform' refers to the location of the engine, driveline, fuel tank, brake lines, and other major components. When they have the same location and the same build sequence is followed, those vehicles are said to be built on the same platform and they can be run down the same assembly line," says Orth Hedrick, regional product manager, Product Planning, Nissan North America."

So "sharing a platform" doesn't mean any of the structural components are the same.

Dalko43

Explorer
That statement confuses me. Neither is built for "work" that I can tell. If they were they'd be more spartan and simple with higher payloads. Like a Hilux (maybe), or HD truck. Pickups in the US are mostly bought for everyday commuting.

How many million mile Silverado 1500's and F-150's do you hear about?

The Tundra might be rated conservatively in terms of payload and towing...its chassis and engine are easily as robust, if not more so, than any of the 'higher-rated' 1/2 tons the big 3 are putting out.

If the Tacoma is sharing anything with the next gen Tundra, it will mean the Tacoma will be more over-engineered than it already is. Toyota said there would be a 'common' platform for its next gen trucks...what that actually means is anyone's guess.

But all of this is gossip. The people claiming twin-turbo this or shared platform that are simply speculating.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
How many million mile Silverado 1500's and F-150's do you hear about?

The Tundra might be rated conservatively in terms of payload and towing...its chassis and engine are easily as robust, if not more so, than any of the 'higher-rated' 1/2 tons the big 3 are putting out.

If the Tacoma is sharing anything with the next gen Tundra, it will mean the Tacoma will be more over-engineered than it already is. Toyota said there would be a 'common' platform for its next gen trucks...what that actually means is anyone's guess.

But all of this is gossip. The people claiming twin-turbo this or shared platform that are simply speculating.
Given the taco is over max payload with 4 people and basic camping gear ummm its not over built. LOL

Dalko43

Explorer
I thought the same regarding that statement. Tundra may have a work grade trim available, but all the ad's and marketing says it's just a bigger version of the Tacoma. Look at the Tundra page. There are exactly zero pictures of the truck on a work site. But many pictures of hauling a toy hauler, camping, fishing, etc. Tundra is not purpose built for "Work."

View attachment 560424

It's funny the expectations that Ford and GM fanboys have....

Toyota lends out a Tundra for 100k miles of ranching duties...no questions asked.
It uses a stock Tundra to tow the space shuttle.
The truck handles both tasks with no issues.
Apparently, that's not work and apparently you fanboys have never seen a Tundra towing or hauling with a contractor or independent hot shotter...you must live in one of those weird areas where Toyota's don't exist.

But of course, Ford and GM do put pictures of their trucks working, so of course that means they're intended for work...unlike the Tundra....fanboy logic at its best.

If you spend even one minute looking at the chassis, rather than dwelling on car company advertising literature, you'd see that the Tundra is most definitely built for work.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
It's funny the expectations that Ford and GM fanboys have....

Toyota lends out a Tundra for 100k miles of ranching duties...no questions asked.
It uses a stock Tundra to tow the space shuttle.
The truck handles both tasks with no issues.
Apparently, that's not work and apparently you fanboys have never seen a Tundra towing or hauling with a contractor or independent hot shotter...you must live in one of those weird areas where Toyota's don't exist.

But of course, Ford and GM do put pictures of their trucks working, so of course that means they're intended for work...unlike the Tundra....fanboy logic at its best.

If you spend even one minute looking at the chassis, rather than dwelling on car company advertising literature, you'd see that the Tundra is most definitely built for work.
You know why Toyota has to do that? Because at the ranch we have like 100yrs of trucks sitting on site and non are Toyota. None have been washed in ages, if your lucky someone shakes out a rubber mat sometimes. All the Expedition posters here are life style truck people. The guys with unregistered trucks that live on site hauling ******** don’t care about any of this BS being posted here. LOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94