Pass-through really necessary?

MTVR

One thing to keep in mind is that having a deck in front of your box pushes the weight of your box backwards and makes your truck more rear heavy. I know you have a lot of capacity, but you may want to check your placement on all of your weights. I have planned a pass through for me, but I am standing on my water tanks right behind my cab.

Just food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The platform doesn't push anything anywhere- the truck was designed with it.

And the gun safe, water tanks, and house battery bank will all be located up front in the box.

jk6661

Observer
The real question is, how much extra are you willing to pay for a pass through?

Thanks for all your replies, but this is what I was really getting at. The problem is cost. From what I've seen, the choice of vehicles with pass-throughs that are easily serviceable worldwide (so not American pickups) is limited to camper vans (not what I'm looking for) and EarthCruiser/GXV-type vehicles that will run you $350K+ used and $450K+ new. (I realize there were a couple of used EarthCruisers on here in the $200K range, but they rarely come up, and the redesigned 2020 models cost a lot more and will eventually cost more on the used market.) Without a pass-through, you can go with a caravan, slide-in, popup, Patriot-style trailer, etc., all of which are much less expensive initially and would be easier to resell. So while I realize a pass-through is convenient, I'll walk in the rain for 30 seconds to my living quarters to save hundreds of thousands of dollars. The only reason not to, for me, is if there's a significant safety advantage with pass-throughs. So far, I'm not hearing a compelling case for that.

Last edited:

Joe917

Explorer
Safety is one of the factors. People have different ideas about what makes them safe. Having a secure cabin cab access is definitely safer than not.The ability to jump into the driver's seat and go (without having to disconnect steps or retrieve your generator) is a plus especially in an urban environment. Pulling in late at night (something we almost never do), shutting down, slipping into the back and closing the black-out blinds is as unobtrusive as you can be.
The convenience factor for us far outweighs the safety factor, that does not mean safety is not a factor. Parked at a run down truck stop in Brazil you might feel much happier to not have to go outside. ( or Chicago or Detroit...)

Last edited:

Ramdough

Adventurer
Thanks for all your replies, but this is what I was really getting at. The problem is cost. From what I've seen, the choice of vehicles with pass-throughs that are easily serviceable worldwide (so not American pickups) is limited to camper vans (not what I'm looking for) and EarthCruiser/GXV-type vehicles that will run you $350K+ used and $450K+ new. (I realize there were a couple of used EarthCruisers on here in the $200K range, but they rarely come up, and the redesigned 2020 models cost a lot more and will eventually cost more on the used market.) Without a pass-through, you can go with a caravan, slide-in, popup, Patriot-style trailer, etc., all of which are much less expensive initially and would be easier to resell. So while I realize a pass-through is convenient, I'll walk in the rain for 30 seconds to my living quarters to save hundreds of thousands of dollars. The only reason not to, for me, is if there's a significant safety advantage with pass-throughs. So far, I'm not hearing a compelling case for that.

Your comparisons are a bit off in my opinion.

You are saying that the reason to buy a big expensive camper is so you can have a pass through.

You should buy the vehicle type you want first based on where you want to go and with what capabilities/comfort you want. Pick the class of vehicle first, then decide if you want a pass through and then decide if cost is an option.

I would not buy a Hilux with a slide in camper if I wanted a GXV. But if I wanted to go through tiny jungle trails, I would get the Hilux.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTVR

Safety is one of the factors. People have different ideas about what makes them safe. Having a secure cabin cab access is definitely safer than not.The ability to jump into the driver's seat and...

...come face-to-face with the criminals that already broke into your cab...

We will leave to avoid any fight we can, but we are prepared to win the rest of them...

adam88

Explorer
If people are just looking for an emergency entrance into their cab, then cutting a hole in the bottom of the camper bunk and using the vehicles moon roof would more than suffice. Simply have a panel in the camper bottom that lifts up for emergency access. This can be done easily and there are manufacutrers who europe who do this.

jk6661

Observer
Your comparisons are a bit off in my opinion.

You are saying that the reason to buy a big expensive camper is so you can have a pass through.

You should buy the vehicle type you want first based on where you want to go and with what capabilities/comfort you want. Pick the class of vehicle first, then decide if you want a pass through and then decide if cost is an option.

I would not buy a Hilux with a slide in camper if I wanted a GXV. But if I wanted to go through tiny jungle trails, I would get the Hilux.

I'm not saying a pass-through is the reason to buy a big expensive vehicle; I'm saying it's a reason (pertaining to capabilities/comfort). What I'm trying to decide is whether it's a good enough reason to shell out $350k+ for a vehicle. For me, the only way it would be a good enough reason is if there's a significant safety benefit. Other people may have different priorities.

jk6661

Observer
If people are just looking for an emergency entrance into their cab, then cutting a hole in the bottom of the camper bunk and using the vehicles moon roof would more than suffice. Simply have a panel in the camper bottom that lifts up for emergency access. This can be done easily and there are manufacutrers who europe who do this.

Interesting, I wasn't aware of this, but it makes sense.

MTVR

We had, at one time, considered doing this with our machinegun hatch...

MTVR

Now she wants me to turn the machinegun hatch into a sunroof, by replacing the metal hatch with plexiglass...

MTVR

You know, most people can't be honest and write that! :cool:

Lol.

There are also mounts for three M-16s on the insides of the cab doors- one on the left, and two on the right.

It was originally an armored gun truck.

We're having fun with this vehicle... :)

Last edited:

MTVR

Thats the way I do it.
As an aside, Roof access is really nice. Nicer breeze during hot weather, better view, and degree of privacy.

We would have lost the use of the platform behind the cab, we would have had to relocate the exhaust stack and air intake snorkel, and we also would have had to move our entry/exit door to somewhere other than the front face of our box, which would have messed up our floor plan.

1000arms

Now she wants me to turn the machinegun hatch into a sunroof, by replacing the metal hatch with plexiglass...
I've seen people, standing up through their sunroofs/machinegun-hatches, photographing grizzly bears. Of course, their sunroofs/machinegun-hatches weren't pushing 13'6" of vehicle height, but, you just might enjoy quick access to photography/videography through your roof. :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94