Patriot Campers

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Hey Justin,

Im in B.C. (Canada) and have an X1 GT. I've taken it out on extended trips where the temps were fluctuating between approx +4deg C and -12deg C. I found the tanks and pipes were ok, but at night when the temps dropped, the metal faucet was where things failed. As soon as the (already chilled) water hit the metal faucet, it froze up. Game over until the faucet warmed up again.

I had a plan to keep the tanks warmed up, by using a 12v car seat warmer (ripped the element pad out of a $30 seat warmer), but never really got to test it out, with the faucet being the weakest link. No doubt there's some creative solution to fix that problem, but I just came to accept where the limits of the trailer were/are.

The more frustrating issue in colder temps was that the batteries don't seem to handle the lower temps that great. I had issues with lower output amperage, which resulted in things like the lights going out when turning on the Webasto heater (as it draws a fair amount of amps when first warming up). This issue went away once the temps warmed back up well above freezing for some time.

Hope this helps...

John D.

Do you have the agm or lithium batteries?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjchia

Hey Justin,

Im in B.C. (Canada) and have an X1 GT. I've taken it out on extended trips where the temps were fluctuating between approx +4deg C and -12deg C. I found the tanks and pipes were ok, but at night when the temps dropped, the metal faucet was where things failed. As soon as the (already chilled) water hit the metal faucet, it froze up. Game over until the faucet warmed up again.

I had a plan to keep the tanks warmed up, by using a 12v car seat warmer (ripped the element pad out of a $30 seat warmer), but never really got to test it out, with the faucet being the weakest link. No doubt there's some creative solution to fix that problem, but I just came to accept where the limits of the trailer were/are.

The more frustrating issue in colder temps was that the batteries don't seem to handle the lower temps that great. I had issues with lower output amperage, which resulted in things like the lights going out when turning on the Webasto heater (as it draws a fair amount of amps when first warming up). This issue went away once the temps warmed back up well above freezing for some time.

Hope this helps...

John D.

Hey John,

Thanks for the reply and the info. We're super-stoked to be getting the trailer in another couple of months and get out there with it. Won't be heading to the snowy mountains because of COVID related restrictions to kosciuszko national park but will still be coldish (aussie cold) where we're heading for the week so we'll see still give the heater a reasonable test.
Nice to see someone from BC pulling a Patriot. Where abouts are you? I actually grew up in Vernon.

-Justin

jdigdog

Hey John,

Thanks for the reply and the info. We're super-stoked to be getting the trailer in another couple of months and get out there with it. Won't be heading to the snowy mountains because of COVID related restrictions to kosciuszko national park but will still be coldish (aussie cold) where we're heading for the week so we'll see still give the heater a reasonable test.
Nice to see someone from BC pulling a Patriot. Where abouts are you? I actually grew up in Vernon.

-Justin

Nice! They’re extremely well thought-out and well-built trailers, so no doubt you’ll enjoy it, no matter where you end up.

I’m in Vancouver, BC :)

Another update on the water situation. Turns out I had a cracked water pump head and strainer/filter from the system freezing up. Wasn’t a big deal to fix and all the Shurflo pump parts were available on Amazon with next day delivery to me. Just keep that in mind if things get below zero and your water outlets start spattering!

Colin1345

Hello everyone. Has anyone here tried living full-time in one of these? We're looking for something to live out of for the summer months while our house is rented. We've been looking for something that can go anywhere and do anything, but all we can find are trailers made in Australia that cost way too much. I really like what I see and hear about Patriot Campers, but there are 6 of us and a large dog. We would only be staying in one place for no more than 4 nights at a time, mostly boondocking. What are your suggestions? I've asked in a couple other forums, I'm just trying to get as much feedback as possible. Thank you all.

chop480

Observer
Hello everyone. Has anyone here tried living full-time in one of these? We're looking for something to live out of for the summer months while our house is rented. We've been looking for something that can go anywhere and do anything, but all we can find are trailers made in Australia that cost way too much. I really like what I see and hear about Patriot Campers, but there are 6 of us and a large dog. We would only be staying in one place for no more than 4 nights at a time, mostly boondocking. What are your suggestions? I've asked in a couple other forums, I'm just trying to get as much feedback as possible. Thank you all.

I'm currently looking at purchasing a Patriot X1 and have spent considerable time researching Patriot vs. other offerings. While it's fresh in my mind I'll try and address your questions as best I can. I haven't found anyone who has lived full-time per say but some have used their Patriot's long term, i.e. several months at a time, which sounds like it fits your time frame for use.

As far as go anywhere, do anything, that's almost entirely dependent on your tow rig. I have yet to see any experience with a Patriot where the trailer itself won't go where the tow rig will go.

The Patriot is made in Australia and costs too much. (I think it's worth it, most don't)

The sleeping arrangements are entirely dependent on the ages (size) of the 6 souls and your comfort level in camp. Again the tow rig may answer some of your concerns. Can anyone sleep in the tow vehicle? Roof top tent on the tow vehicle? Separate ground tent for some? At a minimum you'll want the X1 model with the lifestyle package that includes the kids room annex. Smaller kids can go almost anywhere. Swags are used quite a lot in Australia under the awning and are popular with older kids and teenagers.

Staying 4 nights in any one place introduces set up and break down hassles. You might consider longer stays in one place to minimize those issues.

Bottom line is anything is possible. If you ask this question and include your tow vehicle and family size/age you may get better feedback. You really have to prioritize the go anywhere, do anything, boondocking vs. sleeping arrangements. Food/water is another issue to consider where the tow rig will help with your answers. Good luck on whatever you decide.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Setup and tear down can be reduced depending on how full blown you want the setup to be for the 4days or so. Heck, last week, I left 5am with the dog, drove 3hrs to a mountainside spot with a view here in CO (shown below) that I knew had solid cell service, set up the awning, tent & annex (left the kids room off), and worked remotely that day with an hour nap mixed in vs working at home. Come 4pm, started packing up and was back at home just before 8pm.
763f51301c4ff4a6a795c6474e71d233.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier