Pay Line-X to Bedliner Entire Paint Job? Cost?

Jessica1987

Hey guys and girls (like myself), my question is:

my boyfriend has been doing all the bodywork on my rusted out expedition and now we need to figure out a budget paint job... I really like the look bedliner flat black paint jobs.. I found this tutorial on how to do it yourself using rustoleum spray cans. There are lots of videos and it looks pretty nice.

My boyfriend thinks that it will fade and look like "*****" in one year. So then I thought.. what about paying Line-x to professionally spray my truck... cause when they spray in the liners they are crazy durable! And maybe they could add a color too?? Like red :Wow1:

I am getting very excited at the thought of them doing it. Buy my boyfriend thinks it will be crazy expensive. What do you think??

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
They can tint it whatever color you want. I can't say that I have seen an entire vehicle line-x treated, but I have seen people do the bottom of their doors and panels as rock guards. It probably won't be as cheap as you are hoping it will be, though.

While there is nothing that great about rattle can paint jobs, they also don't have to be horrible if you prep the surface well, mask well, and do a bunch of really thin coats.

kwill

Observer
Probably well over $1,000-$2,000 for an entire vehicle. There are DIY bedliner paints, some of which can be applied with rollers and brushes.

Gren_T

Adventurer
I had the rear tub of my 90 sprayed with Line-x & I'm very pleased with the result, however when I want it to look clean I have to scrub it with a brush and rinse out - not a hardship but if it was on the exterior it would hold the crap & road dirt.
If you dont wash it anyway no problem.!

regards
Gren

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
It will hold dirt, and mud will stain it (permanently in my case). Line-X can tint it, and they have a fade resistant product for more money, but it will still fade. Red will fade faster than any other color (it's the nature of the pigments). Professional application will be real expensive. The Rust-O-Leum rattle cans will clog quickly and become useless. I did a tool box with the Rust-O-Leum cans and about 50% of them clogged, but ROL knew about the problem and sent me a refund for the dead ones. The stuff holds up real well and sticks IF you prep the surface thoroughly. Worst thing about it is that it is heavy. A full paint job will slow the truck down and kill some gas mileage. But it does have sound-deadening properties. I wouldn't do it.

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
I can't say that I have seen an entire vehicle line-x treated.
I've seen quite a few off road vehicles covered in bed liner coating. Heck there is a guy down in Huntsville, AL that sprayed his Mustang with purple beadliner.
c59677692fa14677a0363a5cc6adbfbc.jpg

HuskerTrev

Observer
First, I want to say that bedlinering is an excellent option for your vehicle. It holds up well to the brush, the salt during the winter and most chemicals out there (although gasoline can soften the surface).

Second, I would stay as far away from any bedliner that is sold at Wal-Mart, Vato-zone, Advanced, Checkers, etc. These are one part, usually waterborne or lacquer based products and will only disappoint you. (Think about having to sand it all off in a year to apply something worthwhile)

Third, although Line-x and Rhino Lining is tough, you are talking about a minimum thickness of 1/8" (think about door gaps, etc). Plus it is pretty expensive. To have a pick up bed shot here (I am a body shop manager who gets wholesale pricing) it is still $600. Retail is around $800. Multiply that by three to do the entire vehicle at a bare minimum.

My 2001 Tahoe is lined from top to bottom with a product called Raptor Liner. It is a UV resistant, tintable, catalyzed liner that can be brushed, rolled or sprayed on. It is the ultimate DYI product. You will have to find a retailer to purchase it through, usually an automotive paint supply store and if you would like it colored you will have to purchase single stage paint without the binder added to it.

Retail for the satin black color here is right around $189 and the tintable is $239 plus the single stage. To give you an idea of coverage, my Tahoe took 1 and 1/2 kits to cover ever exterior surface and another 3/4 of a kit for the jambs. Each kit is four 1 quart bottles, plus activator (1 gallon mixed product).

I started out spraying my Tahoe at home, but my compressor took a dive after the first 1/4 of the vehicle. I wound up having to roll the entire vehicle with three coats. A lot more work than spraying it, but it still came out great.

I thought a little real world experience would be helpful. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Here is a shot of the Adventure Hoe:

20150628_234436969_iOS.jpg

vanroth

Observer
Buddy was just quoted $14K to LineX his H1. But that also included taking off just about everything spraying it separate and putting it back together.

DanCooper

Adventurer
Monstaliner makes a UV resistant bedliner type product that you can either roll-on or spray on yourself. http://www.monstaliner.com I'm going to use it on an expedition trailier, and probably my bumpers and rocker panels as well. And red is an available color . . .

Zeiderman

Adventurer
Monstaliner on my CJ hood. Love it. Rolled mine on. Go to Jeepforum, they are a vendor there, and there is a gabillion pages of pics and write ups.

LR Max

Local Oaf
A professional Line-X job will look good. However do your research. A local Line-X shop charges MORE than a body shop would for paint. A local 4x4 shop charges like, what a body shop would charge for paint...to send a jeep off to get Line-X'ed. The shop that actually does the work was pretty reasonable.

Please. Please. Please. Do not spray bomb the truck. Every one I've ever seen like that ends up looking like crap the next week. Just...no. Then of course, its all in the prep and if you mess that up, then it'll start to flake in a few months. Then it extra looks like crap.

A 3rd option that you could do yourself (I've considered it on a low-budget vehicle) is a Wrap. You can buy 3M wrap material on amazon for cheap (and free shipping!). Clean the car. Clay bar the paint, put down glass cleaner, lay on the wrap, get all the bubbles out, and then keep going. You could probably do the entire truck for like, 500 bucks yourself. I've got a 94 4Runner with a crappy paint job, this is the route I was planning on going (before the decision to sell it occured). If you took your time, I think it could come out looking pretty darn good. In the future, any project vehicle I have that "needs paint" will be getting a wrap. I'd rather have $500 in a wrap and do it myself, properly, vs paying some shop to charge me 4 figures to do it wrong.

Overall I'm done with body shops and paint shops. Around Atlanta, they are typically run by shady people and hire less than the best workers.

BlindWilly

TXpedition
TOFF Liners

A buddy of mine down in Houston used a company called TOFF Liners.
He said it was WAY more cost effective than the quote he got from Line-X
He said TOFF liners was about $1300 and Line-X was about 6 Grand.
Here's a photo and here's a video of him in action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erb_MmNFNck

Attachments

• Wes Jones.jpg
    Wes Jones.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 104

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier