Perentie 6x6 Build

bobakers

Hi all
Been lurking on here acquiring knowledge for a couple of years now and time to share my build. This has been ongoing for 2 years now and will probably have another 2 to go till it’s completed so don’t expect daily updates.
Aim is to have a vehicle that is self-sufficient for 10 days, can travel off road and meets the need of the minister for war & finance.
The base vehicle is a 1995 Australian ex-army 6x6 perentie with a Isuzu 4BD1T engine.
oicture1.jpg
Plan is to have a composite body, spring mounted, with ensuite and east west bed in a 3550mm long body to meat the requirements of our 60% overhang rule.

picture 2.png

First step was to reduce the noise in the cabin so stripped out the seats and lined with dynamat and closed cell rubber backed sound insulation
picture 3.jpg
Seats have been upgraded to stratos LTSS suspension seats purchased 2nd hand. I don’t think their new price is justified for the level of comfort they provide.
Next on the list was the overhead console for radios and switches.
I fitted a Red Dot 6100 roof mounted air conditioner which has enough capacity to cool the cab on the hottest day required a custom AC compressor mount but downside is the condenser fan which is mounted externally on the roof is very noisy.
picture 4.jpg

picture 5.jpg

picture 6.png
All the additional electrics are fed by a traxide dual battery system with an optima D34. An additional redarc is fitted to feed a 40amp DCDC charger for the upcoming 400 ah lithium battery build.
Tyres & rims were next to be improved so Dynamic 7 x 16 heavy duty steel rims and Toyo MT 255 85 16 were fitted. Tyres are awesome off road but are wearing quicker then I would like, might look at a AT for the next set
picture 7.jpg

The air cleaner housing was replaced with a Donaldson Powercore filter which has 101mm inlet and outlets
picture 8.jpg
Now it was time for some more power so the original non wastegated garret turbo which ran at 5psi was ditched for a TD04H19T and a Plazmaman water to air intercooler. Had to extend the area in front of the radiator to fit the CAC radiator. Now running 20 psi boost and air temp after the cooler is yet to exceed 55 degrees C under full load and EGT (before turbine) is 350 – 400 degrees c cruising and 550 degrees C under load so still room to up the fuel

picture 9.jpg

Thanks for looking

Bob

Attachments

• picture 10.jpg
    picture 10.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 27

bobakers

The bonnet also came in for some massaging to fit the intercooler:
picture 10.jpg

picture 11.jpg
The standard 6x6 perentie has two 65 litre sill tanks mounted under the seats so Ive added an additional 120 litre tank under the tray with a 12v gear pump, 500Fg filter and solenoid valve so I can transfer to either sill tanks, range is approx. 1300km on highway.

picture 13.jpg

picture 14.jpg

I built the base frame for the body out of 150x50x2 RHS duragal main rails with 50x50x2 cross braces and 75x25x2 side rails. The underside of the main rails are fitted with 20mm HDPE rub strips and the whole frame is retained to the truck chassis rails with two fixed rear bolts and five (per side) spring mounted bolts. Chassis twist at full articulation is about 25mm over the length of the body.

picture 15.jpg

picture 16.jpg

From there we headed north and farmed out the assembly of the body to Vanglass in Queensland as I don’t have a shed to work in. I provided the sketches and Shaun and his team delivered an outstanding job both on time and as quoted. Windows are Aussie Traveller Eurovision and the door is a new style Aussie Traveller with triple latching & screen.

picture 17.jpg

picture 18.jpg

picture 19.jpg

Attachments

• picture 16.jpg
    picture 16.jpg
    745.9 KB · Views: 19

bobakers

picture 20.jpg

picture 21.jpg

Still need to fit a nose cone to the front of the body.

Ive now got the truck back home and planning to start on the ensuite which will be fitted with natures head toilet.

Ill continue to update this as more work happens and if you have any questions/suggestions fire away

Regard

Bob

Bluest

Can you explain a bit about how the 6x6 works? Is it permanent 6x6? Is there an extra diff to stop wind up by the extra axle etc.?

bobakers

Hi Bluest
Its fitted with a LT95A four speed gear box with integrated transfer case. Runs constant 4x4 (front and intermediate axle) and has a vacuum switch on dash to activate the centre diff lock and third axle PTO to provide six wheel drive.
Its also fitted with a PTO winch driven off transfer case so its pretty busy under there.
Regards
Bob

dr mick

Hi Bluest,
I am new to the site and caught your 6x6 build. It looks great. I am looking at snagging a 6x6 GMV and creating the go anywhere camper. I have a question about the impact of the engine mods on cruising speed. Most of the research I have done suggests the 6x6 gets approx 80-90 kph highway cruise speeds. Have your mods improved this, and by how much?
cheers
Mick

Alloy

If the bowl on the fuel filter has a glass bowl you'll want to protect it from rocks thrown off the tires.

bobakers

Hi Bluest,
I am new to the site and caught your 6x6 build. It looks great. I am looking at snagging a 6x6 GMV and creating the go anywhere camper. I have a question about the impact of the engine mods on cruising speed. Most of the research I have done suggests the 6x6 gets approx 80-90 kph highway cruise speeds. Have your mods improved this, and by how much?
cheers
Mick

Hi Mick
the tyres are 255 85R16 which have helped a bit but the sweet spot is 90kph. options to improve are:
1. changing 3x diff centres ($$$) but it would make 1st gear in high range too high
2. fitting a MSA manual gearbox but the guy that was doing these (sheldon on AURLO) no longer supporting this
3. I have an Allison 2500 and spare lt95 that I've cut the transfer case off but have parked this as its a big project that will wait till after our around Australia trip.
At the end of the day 90k cruise isn't too bad and there are no compromises off road.

Bob

Attachments

• LEFT SIDE_808ANA.JPG
    LEFT SIDE_808ANA.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 66
  • INSIDE 2_808ANA.JPG
    INSIDE 2_808ANA.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 60
  • INSIDE 3_808ANA.JPG
    INSIDE 3_808ANA.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 57
  • INSIDE 4_808ANA.JPG