Permanent or temporary shower?

MLu

Adventurer
I'd imagine the OP is familiar with wet wipes and alternative ways of bathing, having spent three years on a motorcycle. I think this has taken a turn towards camping trips in warm climates rather than eight months in the stans and Russia. You can't really go eight months without part of it being mosquito season and part of it being cold and wet. In my (very) limited experience with sprinters, if it was my van, I'd go for a large wet bath taking up the whole rear since the T1N LWB is a pretty big space. That way the rear doors can be used to service the Nature's Head or cassette toilette or whatever you go for without a bunch of bending and finaggeling though the living area, and makes it easy to clean and ventilate the shower area. When the weather is nice or on the beach you can take a shower with the doors open if so inclined. That way you're also not tempted to use the rear as a garage full of junk, or be too tempted to hang something heavy behind the rear axle - the water tank can still be mounted on or in front of the axle. Since it's a large space, I'd also imagine that with some clever fold-down-or-up thinking you could get a sink that you could use both outside and in, for washing dishes or clothes or whatever, removing the need for an extra sink in the kitchen area.

What I don't understand is people who don't want a bathroom or even a cooler, yet they will insist on having a full dinette inside their camper.
I don't have a dinette either. The bed is in the back (where dinettes typically go) and serves as a couch. The cabover is aero shaped and is used for storage. Most people have their bed in the cabover, which makes it hard to sit on.

I have place for a table in mine and I used it a few times. It sits in a closet now. If I am going to be in a place long enough I will pop the top and sleep on the queen sized bed but the couch works just as well.

To each their own. Some people are happy eating bugs out of the ground and sleeping in a wood hut made from tree branches, and never showering. Some people need a flatscreen 65" TV, full refrigerator with ice maker and a garage for their Porsche.
What I don't understand is people who don't want a bathroom or even a cooler, yet they will insist on having a full dinette inside their camper. There's nothing more space-wasteful than a full dinette. Why not sit on the bed, or sit outside? That is the logic I don't get. People will say "Oh I got no room for a bathroom" and meanwhile they have a full dinette.
Because they don't have your wife???

Haha...

I'm no fan of a dinette floor plans either, it is a colossal waste of space and I have owned off-road vehicles with and without permanent toilets and showers (none had fixed dinettes floor plans)...and there are trade offs, like everything....my wife and I moved from a vehicle with a toilet and shower (for 5 years) to a vehicle with out a toilet or shower...

Removing the toilet and shower allowed us to move to a vehicle that is faster on the hwy, easier to find parts when needed, tighter turning radius, shorter overall length, shorter height, lighter weight, fits into any parking space in a tight parking lot and have tons of storage, 2 electric folding fat tire bikes stored inside under the bed....and still have a fixed queen bed, folding couch/2nd bed and wet galley with 21 gallons of fresh water storage, outside shower,

Many, if not all, of those items could not be acccomplished at once with a fixed toilet/shower

Last edited:
That sounds awful. Might as well ride a motorcycle across the country. The whole point of having a sprinter is to not be taking ****s in a porta potty and wiping your *** with baby wipes.
Ohhhhhhhhh.......How I love a nice moist baby wipe across my arse, crotch, armpit, between the toes and afterwards a nice squat in the woods.

Removing the toilet and shower allowed us to move to a vehicle that is faster on the hwy, easier to find parts when needed, tighter turning radius, shorter overall length, shorter height, lighter weight, fits into any parking space in a tight parking lot and have tons of storage, 2 electric folding fat tire bikes stored inside under the bed....and still have a fixed queen bed, folding couch/2nd bed and wet galley with 21 gallons of fresh water storage, outside shower
Any pictures of your rig?

Any pictures of your rig?

Actually, no, I'll get to work on that one... it's a van, e350, v10, high top ccv poptop... with a bed setup so you can use it while the top is down for stealth and severe weather.... tons of functional storage, both bikes under the bed accessed from rear doors, folding couch along the driver side wall, galley hangs over into sliding door area a bit...35” tires w 4x4 and full lockers, under 10' tall, 9,880 lbs fully wet w gear less crew

My design goal was under 10' tall and under 10,000 lbs...and fit in a normal parking space length and width... , design mission accomplished... my experience is those design specs matter... as well it needed to be reasonably priced, so I didn't mind spending money on a nice house to rent at a destination... for me, that meant $40-$80k all in...

Last edited: