Pick-up Truck to Cargo Van?

RJ Howell

I have my 2004 4wd pickup and working the frame and body. Debating some sort of overlander for woods running (like I do with it now). I built a simple topper that works fine, yet if I'm going to do all this body work..

Anyone actually cut in a van body on a Pick-up?
Am I nuts for even thinking like this?

The costs of a 4wd van (sprinter/transit/ etc..) is nuts!

GdKi8Dgl.jpg
Cqaj2eKl.jpg

chet6.7

Explorer
If I am following, there is a picture on here somewhere of a Gen 1 Dodge truck with a VW van grafted on after the cab.

RJ Howell

That would be a direction. I just found a 1997 Ford Falcon Camper for small dollar that could work. I search a bit and see if I can find this Dodge.

RJ Howell

Well, I'm not totally nuts. I see some have done it before. Still having a time finding individuals though.. That Sunraider build is pretty awesome!Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 3.54.07 PM.png

Wilbah

Adventurer
I think done right certain Van's could be really great. Unfortunately I think most either go the very expensive sprinter route or the "here hold my beer while I weld this X to Y" and look like it.

I think cutting the back off a pickup cab and trying to attach something to it would be difficult. But if you dont care about looks and instead just want solely functionality it could work. I guess the question is can you do it all yourself (design, welding etc.) vs paying someone to do it. If you have to pay someone to do it I think I would look for something already built and focus on upgrading systems, maintenance etc.

rruff

Explorer
I have my 2004 4wd pickup and working the frame and body. Debating some sort of overlander for woods running (like I do with it now). I built a simple topper that works fine, yet if I'm going to do all this body work..Anyone actually cut in a van body on a Pick-up?

So... you want a 4wd camper with more space and amenities than you have now? What exactly are you trying to acheive?

Yes, 4wd vans are overpriced and still not as good offroad as a truck. But I don't think grafting a camper on is going to be ideal. Is there a reason why putting a regular truck camper in the bed won't work? If you want it light and custom, you could always build your own.

RJ Howell

More space and amenities.. LOL Class B 4x4 is the goal. As I started looking into this I found an pretty decent deal on a Ford Falcon Camper. Body is in good shape and some of the appliances could be salvaged.

Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 2.14.35 PM.png

Then it's; Can I use the body? Can I mount to my truck? Could I swap my suspension to this? Questions, questions and more questions.

So, here I am asking if anyone has gone this route? LOL.. I may have a few questions for them...

The sleeper cap I built was an exercise to see just what can be done building with foam. I'm impressed! I could have gone so much further! So that comes to pulling the bed off the pickup and doing a build frame up. That allows for wider (as well as longer). I could still cut through a passage cab to camper and have a faux class B.

Several directions I could go.. I just started with... Has anyone turned a pickup into a cargo van before?

Treenail

Adventurer
Look in the direction of a cutaway/box/cube van. Think of a small uhaul. Since many are built on Ford chassis you could buy the 4wd kit from one of the vendors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles