Pics of your Ambulance. Post Up!

onemanarmy

Explorer
Just got back from Wisconsin to VA picking up my latest project! 1992 F-350 7.3 idi 4x4 with 32k original miles! its a Wheeled Coach and did the 1k mile trip flawlessly. I plan to make it more comfortable, powerful, but I think its a good place to start!
.....Any of you IDI wonders out there feel free to give me ideas on best performance mods.

View attachment 345492View attachment 345493View attachment 345494View attachment 345498

really like the 'truck' ambulances.

looking forward to updates

very nice find

patoz

Expedition Leader
I believe it is the Advantedge 4000
I stuck LED light bars in both ends and replaced the clear lenses
3a6dc950d6b5532013a0bbb0152a1c2c.jpg

I have the Advantage 4000 on the front and the rear also, and this is exactly what I was thinking about doing. Isn't is amazing how we all think alike? :)

Can you tell me what light bars you used inside the 4000, and where did you find the clear lenses, since this model has been discontinued long ago?

cjken

Explorer
Hi Pat

These are the light bars I got:
YITAMOTOR 2 X 120W 24" inch Spot Flood Combo Work LED Light Bar Driving Off Road SUV Car Boat+Free Wiring Harness https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A6TNVZ0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_gz0FybWANCQGT

They fit in the advantedge housing after grinding off a small amount on the corner end of each.

Some one on a emergency equipment forum had a few extra clear lenses. It was a few yrs ago so I don't remember who.
Elightbars.com is the forum i believe. The clears were not easy to find.

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
Hi Pat

These are the light bars I got:
YITAMOTOR 2 X 120W 24" inch Spot Flood Combo Work LED Light Bar Driving Off Road SUV Car Boat+Free Wiring Harness https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A6TNVZ0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_gz0FybWANCQGT

They fit in the advantedge housing after grinding off a small amount on the corner end of each.

Some one on a emergency equipment forum had a few extra clear lenses. It was a few yrs ago so I don't remember who.
Elightbars.com is the forum i believe. The clears were not easy to find.

Thanks Ken!

10-4 on the clear lenses and that's why I was asking, I was hoping you had found a secret stash of them somewhere.

patoz

Expedition Leader
A LOT... The whole back of the van was sitting on the sand. I'm much smarter about driving on sand now.

Is it 4WD? if so, it looks like it wasn't in 4WD or the front hubs weren't locked. Dropping your tire pressure down to about 8-10 psi will help a lot also.

Padre Island National Seashore, Texas

It looks a lot like our beaches here in Pensacola, FL. We can't drive on ours anymore, because the government decided they all needed to be saved from we the people, you know, for our own good and all.

Coachgeo

Explorer
patoz...... in the 60's and 70's my dad had a secret spot on Grayton beach near the park. He took us in the ol Jeep Wagoneer for it was only accessable via a 4wd two track. We'd park just behind the Dunes and walk over. We would go and be TOTALLY alone for hourrrrrrs as a family. No one in sight. Those were good days. Never experiencing anything else I thought ALL beaches were white. So now I know.. Beaches are all white...... every other thing is not a "Beach".... just dirt or general sand at the waters edge :wings:

jblaze5779

Observer
Is it 4WD? if so, it looks like it wasn't in 4WD or the front hubs weren't locked. Dropping your tire pressure down to about 8-10 psi will help a lot also.

It looks a lot like our beaches here in Pensacola, FL. We can't drive on ours anymore, because the government decided they all needed to be saved from we the people, you know, for our own good and all.

Currently only 2wd. I could justify the conversion at the time since I wasn't sure how long the van would last. Looking back I should have just gone straight 4wd.

Do on Padre you can drive 60 miles down the beach and get pretty remote. I like to go out there and be alone sometimes. Really easy to get stuck though.

Last time I went I aired down and brought a shovel. The first time I went I had to use a frisbee and an orange **** shovel.

patoz

Expedition Leader
patoz...... in the 60's and 70's my dad had a secret spot on Grayton beach near the park. He took us in the ol Jeep Wagoneer for it was only accessable via a 4wd two track. We'd park just behind the Dunes and walk over. We would go and be TOTALLY alone for hourrrrrrs as a family. No one in sight. Those were good days. Never experiencing anything else I thought ALL beaches were white. So now I know.. Beaches are all white...... every other thing is not a "Beach".... just dirt or general sand at the waters edge :wings:

Yep, in the 70's we could drive all over the beach here. Some of the best times I ever had was driving 7 miles out on the beach to a rock jetty on a point, setting up camp, fishing, and spending the whole weekend there. It was very remote and only experienced, hard core, 4-wheelers could get out there.

This was way before 4-wheeling became a fad and all the 'cool' kids had dealer built, off the shelf, 4WD vehicles that daddy bought them. There were no aftermarket 4WD shops, so everything we had, we designed and built ourselves. A lot of us knew each other, but we never left anyone behind even a stranger, because it might be you that needed help next time.

Here is a couple pictures of my '73 Blazer and a friends 1st. Generation Bronco, as we were just cruising one Sunday afternoon. And yes, our beaches are all sugar white sand!

Bronco-Blazer.jpg

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
Currently only 2wd. I could justify the conversion at the time since I wasn't sure how long the van would last. Looking back I should have just gone straight 4wd.

Do on Padre you can drive 60 miles down the beach and get pretty remote. I like to go out there and be alone sometimes. Really easy to get stuck though.

Last time I went I aired down and brought a shovel. The first time I went I had to use a frisbee and an orange **** shovel.

Hahaha, I've been there a few times before myself!

I started running the beach in 1973 with a 1968 F-150 LWB 2WD Ranger XLT PU, with a wood frame and aluminum siding camper shell on it. I learned about airing down the tires pretty quick, and then I noticed some of the older guys with 2WD vehicles carrying pieces of railroad track, scrap iron, or anything else small but very heavy, in the back centered directly over the rear axle. The idea was to add about 400 lbs of weight over the rear wheels for traction. I ended up getting a short piece of ship's anchor chain, consisting of 8 links @ 50 lbs. each, and just laid it in place. It made all the difference in the world.

Another trick the old guys did was make 'balloon' tires. These consisted of used aircraft tires that were worn almost slick, but still had just enough of the raised ridges that run around the tires to keep them traveling in a straight direction. They would mount them on 'split' rims, which were made out of 8 modified rims. 4 of them had the inner flange cut off, and the other 4 had the outer flange cut off. Then they were welded back together to make a rim that was about 15"-16" wide. One the tires were mounted, just enough air was added to keep the tires on the rims and not spin. You could go anywhere you wanted on the beach with these tires and rims.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94