PICS of your bike on your vehicle

Scottyrocco16vdub

This is a great thread! Right now I have a spare carrier rear bumper, but I wouldnt mind hauling a bike around as an extra toy to explore with! So I was thinking of keeping the spare on the roof or in the back of my FJ.

My question to you guys is what would you recommend for a bike? I want something street legal, reliable, cheap, light, fun! I am 6'2" and about 200lbs. I have owned 2 stroke 125s,250s,and 300s, and some 4s as well, Most recent was a crf450x. I dont need a ton of power, nor the maintenance that comes with it. Just something to get out and explore on.
So heres what i was thinking so far
TW200- people rave about these things, never rode one, weight?
DR250/350- had a 350 once and loved it, but weight again
TLR200 reflex- small,slow, maybe lighter?

Any other suggestions? I'm all ears!

VicHanson

Adventurer
Scotty, l'm happy with my '08 Honda CRF230L. They recently came out with the new model, which is a 250, I think with fuel injection, mine has a carb.

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
In the current version of our truck we have a single SL230 garaged in the back of the lounge room

120717_9EJ0996.jpg

We drop the floor and lower it out with an electric hoist mounted in the ceiling.

120717_9EJ1001.jpg

With the bike out we can open up all this area to make it a deck

33487.jpg

or leave it closed and get a larger living room

32684.jpg

In the previous version of the truck we had 2 of these 230s, they garaged in the side of the body and lifted out with a small boom crane.

21258.jpg

Here I'm doing some roadside welding and using part of the "garage" as a workshop. One bike out and the other stowed.

I'd love to include one bike with the new Landcruiser build, but can't really think of a way to do it as I'm not a fan of having it cantilevering way out the back.

Last edited:

BlackdogGS

Observer
I use a wheel lock when I haul a bike. I normally have to load a bike by myself and this makes it much easier. It also adds a degree of security.

Buellchalktankbag001-1.jpg

Here's my truck loaded. I take my bike to Arizona every winter for two weeks. This picture shows my Buell but now I take my Yamaha WR250R. I put airbags in the rear to keep the truck level. I have a 4 cyl/manual tranny in the Ranger and I get 28 mpg when I'm hauling like this.

Arizonatrip12-31-09014.jpg

805gregg

Adventurer
As soon as you have to haul it with 4 wheels, it loses it's ADVenture status, just another dirt bike, check on ADVrider, in the ride reports and see how many haul their bike to the ride

mkitchen

Explorer
My trips start from my driveway

I have to agree with Greg, I am either taking my Tacoma or the motorbike and not both. For me, it lessens the adventure somewhat. I had this conversation with my brother who drove his 35' motorhome down to see me (Oregon to Arizona) and he trailered his Harley. He swears that he loves riding the bike so why hassle with the RV? I think he would have had a much more fulfilling trip if he came down on the Harley. I also believe that it would have been cheaper, even staying in hotels along the way. That RV eats a lot of fuel and requires an RV park to stay in and they really aren't much cheaper than a motel.
Just my two cents.
Mikey

Last edited:

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
As soon as you have to haul it with 4 wheels, it loses it's ADVenture status, just another dirt bike, check on ADVrider, in the ride reports and see how many haul their bike to the ride
... That RV eats a lot of fuel and requires an RV park to stay in and they really aren't much cheaper than a motel.
Just my two cents.
Mikey
Motels don't come with a view like this:
fl19.JPG

While you can adventure on two wheels , taking time to explore an area is very comfortable when you can base camp. A week camping from two wheels is more work than a week from a base camp. As I get older I do appreciate some comfort.

DSCN0518.JPG

Maybe things will change when all of us are licensed for the road. Right now it is still tons of fun for the whole family with the limits that we have.

DSCN0538.JPG

The adventure is what you make it. Impress yourself and be happy with that.

mkitchen

Explorer
I have to agree with Greg, I am either taking my Tacoma or the motorbike and not both. For me, it lessens the adventure somewhat. I had this conversation with my brother who drove his 35' motorhome down to see me (Oregon to Arizona) and he trailered his Harley. He swears that he loves riding the bike so why hassle with the RV? I think he would have had a much more fulfilling trip if he came down on the Harley. I also believe that it would have been cheaper, even staying in hotels along the way. That RV eats a lot of fuel and requires an RV park to stay in and they really aren't much cheaper than a motel.
Just my two cents.
Mikey

Well my outlook has changed over the last three years. I now have a flatbed trailer that I can haul three bikes on behind my pickup and just this month I bought a tent trailer that has a deck in front and I haul two bikes on it, make a base camp and am able to ride. I still like to travel solely on the bike but I find I lean towards the hauling more often. Note, I also have a Versa Hauler that goes on either of my pickups.

dfx4rs.jpg

I have found that making a base camp where I don't have to break camp everyday is more enjoyable for us. Just getting older, I guess.
Mikey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles