Pikemans M101 A2 slow Expo/ Base camp trailer build.

Pikeman

Adventurer
ok so I'm confused. Why change the tongue on the trailer in the first place? It's not like the stock one isn't strong enough.
I understand it's hinged, but if you shear the bolts that hold it in I would be impressed.
I don't get swapping the pintle hook out either, but you can swap to a 2 inch receiver fairly easy on the existing tongue.
Just trying to understand the why. I haven't had an issue with my pintle, and aside from really slow hard angle turns sounding absolutely horrendous, it's really not that noticeable.

It was a personal decision. I could have just unbolted the Hydraulic surge brake set up from the factory tongue to sell with the axle. Then I could have made a plate with the receiver tube for my Max coupler. I decided that removing the 4 bolts holding the tongue was faster and easier. I also gained some ground clearance for the tongue by having it inline with the frame as well as adding 6" in length. I also have 23 years pulling Pintle trailers in the military and it is not a system I like once they get worn and are just a little loose. The advantages of a Lock-N-Roll or Max coupler is there is no play in the joint. No banging or clanking which can take a toll on drive train and suspension parts as well as frame stress.

Pikeman

Adventurer
20131205_153151.jpg
20131205_153125.jpg
20131205_153037.jpg
20131205_153218.jpg
Well it has been a long time since I posted anything on this thread, mainly because I really didn't do much to the trailer. Life was bad all 2013, unemployed except a couple short term contracts. Then at the end of November my son was diagnosed with Leukemia and has been in the hospital since then. Anyways I was able to pull the trailer during a move just before receiving word on my sons illness. I made about 10 trips loading it with our belongings and towing about 12 miles each way. The MAX Coupler was great and not as hard to connect as some people made it sound. In between one load I took it around to the backyard and put the trailer on the boulder that sits in our yard. I cannot wait to make more progress and really start using for the purpose I am building(expedition camping of course) the trailer. Here are a couple pictures from putting it on the boulder in the backyard behind my '04 Z71 Tahoe.

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
Pikeman,

First and foremost, my prayers go out for your Son. That's a tough road to travel.

You're doing a good job, on the trailer. I have some 101's and when my 55 gets done, I'll starting on one. When the day comes, what, if anything are you doing to the inside?

God's speed on your Son's recovery.

Pikeman

Adventurer
Scrapdaddy,
First off Thank you for your prayers, the Leukemia is actually the least of our worries as it triggered an infection in his brain that has him paralyzed currently and unable to talk. My plan is build a box that encloses the front part of the tub that is the same dimensions of the front square panels on the side. The panels will then be turned into doors and I will have either a Camp Chef 2 burner or 3 Burner stove slide out on one side and propane storage on the other side. Under the box I plan on mounting a 25 gallon water tank with pump and also a 20 gallon fuel cell with pump in between the cross members immediately fore and aft of the axle. The rest of the inside of the tub will be line-x with possible other dividers or maybe e-track for cargo tie off and management. I was thinking of a Retrax type pick-up bed toneau cover(rolls up like a garage door) with just a metal rack to hold the RTT, but I might also just make a hard cover lid for the trailer.

Pikeman

Adventurer
M101 Trailer.jpg
The front panel with the Orange reflector and tie loop is the one that I want to turn into a door on each side. Then on the inside of the tub it will be framed in 1/4 or 1/2 square tube and sheeted. The enclosure will be full width and about 2 inches below the top lip and inline with the tarp bow rib on the outside of the tub. I hope this makes sense in my description of location. Someday I might take the time to put it into google sketch-up or some other program to clarify even more.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Pikeman:

Thoughts and prayers for your son and family.

I found this one, where the owner welded in a work box to the side of their trailer.
I like the pass through design you have in mind.

Attachments

• asset.jpg
    asset.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 347

Pikeman

Adventurer
Mark,
Thank you for the prayers. I like the pass through design myself, just wish I was in a position to be able to do it right now.

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
Whenever I need to unwind before going to sleep, I build or rebuild something, in my mind, on the 55. It relaxes me enough to fall asleep. When the time comes to actually work on it, I've got it figured out.

It helps to have something else for your mind to do, in rough times. Your day will come, to start to build and you'll know every inch of the trailer by then.

Stay Strong,

Ron

cdrewferd

Observer
My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

On the trailer, looks good so far. Glad to see somebody with a 4Runner like mine building one of these. I wasn't sure if they would be to heavy or wide for the 4Runner. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Pikeman

Adventurer
cdrewferd,
The trailer is just right for our 4Runners. When my trailer is all said and done it should be sitting between 1800-2100 pounds when finished and loaded. Having the electric brakes will help when off-road.

I build the trailer all the time in my head, the pass through box with the 2 or 3 burner grill on slides is the one that keeps recurring however I have had a few other conceptual ideas that are different. I am just happy that I finally pulled it on the road as an assembly with the new tongue and hitch. The only other times I pulled it was when I fist bought it from Las Vegas to home all original and then the other time was just the chassis from my friends fab shop to home without the box. At least now i know i can load it up with the gear and use as is until I can turn things around and make my build happen.

Pikeman

Adventurer
No update on the trailer but on my son.

Conner was released from the hospital Feb. 7th. His condition is currently listed as Leukemia in remission, slight mobility in his arms and speech is mostly back. He is in a wheelchair and with therapy might re-gain use of all his limbs. I am still hopeful and have faith he will be the first to recover from A.N.E(acute necratizing encephalitis) however all of the other 240 documented patients passed. The best case was one child that made it another 5 years, average seems to be 18 months. About 30% followed the same pattern for onset and "improvement" that Conner has gone through. My goal is to turn my job/financial situation around and then whatever Conner wants to do or go I will take him and enjoy the time we have. Conner and his sister Elizabeth both enjoy camping so I am hoping the long road/expo trips the trailer is supposed to be for will be near top of the list. Wether I have my trailer finished or if I need to borrow/rent one to take them out for extended excursions I will somehow find a way.

Thank you all for your prayers.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Any time MIke, just call.

Great news, precious moments for sure. Take every advantage. I was lucky, mine was supposed to be gone by 5 years. Major heart problems, not to go outside, live in bubble. We decided that that was selfish. It was his life and we let him live it. He is now 44 years old, never stop praying, and never stop being thankful the those moments you get.

Pikeman

Adventurer
Any time MIke, just call.

Great news, precious moments for sure. Take every advantage. I was lucky, mine was supposed to be gone by 5 years. Major heart problems, not to go outside, live in bubble. We decided that that was selfish. It was his life and we let him live it. He is now 44 years old, never stop praying, and never stop being thankful the those moments you get.

Bob,
Thanks for the encouragement. My nephew was never supposed to live to see his first birthday however he just turned 16. My new son will be turning 16 in a month and was not supposed to live to see 6 months old(major heart defect). So while I understand that prayer and purpose can override a Dr the "practices" medicine, I also look at the stats and pray that my son is the first to change them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles