Pintol hitches

Photobug

I am going to look at a pintol hitch equipped trailer tomorrow. I have only worked with ball hitches in the past. If I buy it I will have to buy a new hitch for it.

My boats hitches are all balls. I don't mind having two hitches especially since this trailer will have a rediculous amount of storage, i am just hoping for some input on using a pintol hitch. I know they make a ball and pintol hitch combo. I imagine that adds some convenience is there any disadvantage to the combo?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
You mean "Pintle Hitches? You must be looking at old military trailers. The slapping at acceleration and stopping will drive you insane. There's a reason people convert them to traditional ball or to swivel types. You don't notice it pulling one of these trailers with a 2.5ton truck but you sure will feel it in a pickup or smaller.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Easy to convert to ball if you decide later, but you lose some of the articulation inherent in the pintle design. Well fitted rings don’t slap too bad, but as noted above, I’ve only used them with dump trucks... not known for smooth operation.

quickfarms

Adventurer
Slapping?

This is not an issue with a properly sized lunette. The lunette on some light commercial trailers is thinner in diameter and can move around a bit

I have never noticed it as long as you are a sane driver and not good no from stomping on the gas to standing on the brakes.

I am planning on converting my ball hitch trailer to a lunette in the near future.

The pintle hitch and lunette is far superior and safer than a ball hitch. This is why it is the commercial standard.

Photobug

You mean "Pintle Hitches? You must be looking at old military trailers. The slapping at acceleration and stopping will drive you insane. There's a reason people convert them to traditional ball or to swivel types. You don't notice it pulling one of these trailers with a 2.5ton truck but you sure will feel it in a pickup or smaller.
Yep meant pintle

The trailer is a converted truck bed by a guy who grew up in a farm, likes pintles better. It has surge brakes two spares and a utility truck body. My plan is to put a pop up cabover on it.

My truck is a 9000 lb Cummins Dodge. So may not notice slap too much if I get a good fitting lunet. Is that the ring thing on the trailer?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I've used a pintle hitch for over 20 years on my trips and have never heard or felt any "slapping" . This seems to be an "overlanding myth"

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
I have used both as well. Pintle will bang when rock crawling and your moving through rough terrain, but quiet on the road. I have converted several of my trailers to a Max Coupler and love them. As far as a new hitch yes you will need one, but I suggest something like this. It handles both and I always keep one handy to tow both.

mobydick 11

That is a nice looking pintle hitch , do you think it is made of cast steel ? Also do not know if you have caught it yet but there's a bolt falling out of the side.

Photobug

That is a nice looking pintle hitch , do you think it is made of cast steel ? Also do not know if you have caught it yet but there's a bolt falling out of the side.

Not sure what it is made of but the whole trailer is really solid and likely weighs much more than I thought, but no big deal for my truck. The bolt was discovered. It is the manual lockout for the surge brakes, so I can back up the trailer. I am not sure the surge brakes are even working or at least it does not act like my other surge braked trailer.

mobydick 11

I have owned trailers with surge brakes and not too big a fan . When you need them the most on a ice and snow or slippery surface, they do not work .If the truck can not apply enough braking force before skidding it can't apply the force needed to activate them . Maybe things are different now with ABS

Capt Jon

Observer
I would echo what others have said, they don't slap or bang if the hitch on your truck is properly sized for the lunette (ring) on the trailer. The "combo" hitches that have a ball and a latch instead of a true pintle do slap and bang and otherwise exhibit rude and unacceptable behavior. But if you get a good one, then you won't have any problems. You do it right, it will do you tight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier