Plastic tote/box (military) used as water tank in Expo Camper build?

Coachgeo

Explorer
know that RV's, resturants, etc. etc. use a special type plastic that does not leach bad stuff into the water or food. Ok get that. 150gal or so water tanks ain't cheap. Can get Military plastic boxes (water tight) that work out at around 50gal. if I made it into a tank. Plumb three together and whala....... If go this route will pay out half the price and can distribute weight better.

Question is..... what could I coat inside with to make it Food/Water safe. Did a net search but terms are to generic. Open to your thoughts and ideas.

Attachments

• PlasticCaseMilitary.JPG
    PlasticCaseMilitary.JPG
    9.6 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:

Coachgeo

Explorer
NSF/ANSI 61 specifications cover surfaces what municipal water contacts. Epoxy linings, etc. would need to meet those specification.
Dunno how/if it applies to other ”food grade” containers.

Initially, did you contact the container manufacturer ? They maybe willing to tell you what the container is made of.
It maybe food grade material already.

Ive asked the seller to look for markings to see if there is any. I've not seen them first hand yet.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I'm not sure that "water tight" is equivalent to "capable of holding water"... I would be worried about latch strength and overall container integrity.

Have you thought about used drums or totes? They come in a few sizes and could be found cheaply. Many are food grade. or... New ones could be purchased somewhere like Uline or similar bulk material storage vendors.

In the end, for longevity, you will probably want to buy a tank. They are usually much stronger.

Coachgeo

Explorer
I'm not sure that "water tight" is equivalent to "capable of holding water"... I would be worried about latch strength and overall container integrity.

Have you thought about used drums or totes? They come in a few sizes and could be found cheaply. Many are food grade. or... New ones could be purchased somewhere like Uline or similar bulk material storage vendors.

In the end, for longevity, you will probably want to buy a tank. They are usually much stronger.
Thank you. Im assuming it would need reinforcing... say wood ribbed craddle it sits inside of. Also top would have to be sealed and bolted shut and whole thing strapped around it for further reinforcement.

Seller told me they are Pelican cases. I've asked them to look for more markings though.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I agree on the reinforcement. The momentum of 40 gallons of water sloshing from side to side could pop a top off and ruin a trip.

Sorry, I don't know anything about coating plastics.

Bigfeet

I am sure you already know this, but the image of the military box you posted is a current version of a foot locker. I own one myself to store assorted gear inside of it. I wouldn't feel comfortable utilizing it for water storage. Possibly with a bladder inside. Just my $0.02.

Bigfeet

Coachgeo

Explorer
just thought of a way to make them more Food grade if go this way. Plastic bags.... grocery store version... they are HDP2 ones. Using ideas similar to video...... just create an inside layer of HDPE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=787VpNLjpmY

HDPE-2

search result said:
The best food grade buckets are HDPE, symbol #2. HDPE represents high-density polyethylene. The molecules of HDPE are more tightly packed and stable than other food grade plastics, meaning less plastic can leach into your precious food stores.Mar 31, 2013
Food Grade & Food Safe Buckets | Five Gallon Ideas
fivegallonideas.com/food-grade-buckets/

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Maybe I'm missing something but are you trying to figure out how to carry 150 gallons of water? :confused: That's what your original post seemed to imply (3 x 50 gallon tanks.)
That's 1200 lbs, not including the tank. Does your vehicle even have that much carrying capacity?

Coachgeo

Explorer
Maybe I'm missing something but are you trying to figure out how to carry 150 gallons of water? :confused: That's what your original post seemed to imply (3 x 50 gallon tanks.)
That's 1200 lbs, not including the tank. Does your vehicle even have that much carrying capacity?
yes. Though I will most likely revise downward... that figure is admittingly overkill

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The question that pops into my head (and forgive me if maybe I missed it) is this:
What "problem" is this designed to be a solution to? Has carrying water been a problem for you in the past? Do you frequently run out of fresh water?

Coachgeo

Explorer
The question that pops into my head (and forgive me if maybe I missed it) is this:
What "problem" is this designed to be a solution to? Has carrying water been a problem for you in the past? Do you frequently run out of fresh water?
This is a medium budget build in progress. There is no water tanks yet. It is a Rusty ol' LMTV. Good engine and tranny.. Camper box is to be a 14.5ft Freightliner Ambulance box (already purchased) but not mounted yet.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
This is a medium budget build in progress. There is no water tanks yet. It is a Rusty ol' LMTV. Good engine and tranny.. Camper box is to be a 14.5ft Freightliner Ambulance box (already purchased) but not mounted yet.
Ah, you're building an LMTV. So you're basically building a full-on camper, right? If you're putting in a fresh water tank, are you also putting in gray and black water tanks? If so you'd have to consider the weight of those when full, too.
WRT capacity, I'd see what others with similar builds are using. I have zero experience with anything that big so I'm of no help. Most of the travel trailers I see have fresh, black and gray tanks that are in the ~30 - 35 gallon range. I think that's the biggest you can go without getting into serious weight issues.
For an Expedition-capable rig, I wonder if maybe size isn't as important as redundancy? IOW 3 x 20 gallon tanks might be a better idea than 1 x 60 gallon tank because if your 60 gallon tank becomes inop, you are SOL but if you lose one of your 3 x 20 gallon tanks, you still have two other ones.

Coachgeo

Explorer
Ah, you're building an LMTV. ....WRT capacity, I'd see what others with similar builds are using....
that is where the 150 gal came from

For an Expedition-capable rig, I wonder if maybe size isn't as important as redundancy? IOW 3 x 20 gallon tanks might be a better idea than 1 x 60 gallon tank because if your 60 gallon tank becomes inop, you are SOL but if you lose one of your 3 x 20 gallon tanks, you still have two other ones. .
yup.....

Black and grey can be smaller than usual in my case. Will be using NASA, Hospital, Rehab center washing system most often. Requires no rinse. Wipe on.. Wipe off, thus net result per clean is only few ounces of water. Now convince a woman of that...... not gonna fly sooo... got to keep that in mind. For toilet plan to do some sort of incinerator for Fecal material. Possibly HHO system run off of Urine (electrolysis of Urine creates higher amounts of hydrogen with less electrical charge needed than a typical systems). Till then probably steam it off thru the exhaust.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94