Please recommend Powertank / CO2 fill service - PHX AZ

GB_Willys_2014

Talk to Will at Sierra Expeditions.
Thanks again for this recommendation.

I went to Sierra Expeditions today. Nice facility. Will was very helpful. Took all of ten minutes to fill my tank.

But, otoh, drooling over the Howling Moon tents is most definitely not good for my pocketbook. :)

Going with an small, oddball size CO2 tank is a compromise of compact over convenience.

Standard 20 lb. CO2 tanks are a quick and easy exchange at industrial gas suppliers versus having your Powertank 5 or 10 lb. filled while you wait.

I built my own CO2 air-up system using a 20 lb. CO2 tank for a fraction of the cost of buying a Powertank, etc. The 20lb. CO2 bottle can air-up a lot of 33 inch off-road tires before needing to be refilled. And I normally carry it in a FJ40 Land Cruiser, so it is not "too big."

My US $00.02

Alan

GB_Willys_2014

Going with an small, oddball size CO2 tank is a compromise of compact over convenience.

Standard 20 lb. CO2 tanks are a quick and easy exchange at industrial gas suppliers versus having your Powertank 5 or 10 lb. filled while you wait.

I built my own CO2 air-up system using a 20 lb. CO2 tank for a fraction of the cost of buying a Powertank, etc. The 20lb. CO2 bottle can air-up a lot of 33 inch off-road tires before needing to be refilled. And I normally carry it in a FJ40 Land Cruiser, so it is not "too big."

My US $00.02

Alan

I priced out the the individual parts vs the Powertank package, and did not find significant savings. Perhaps I did not find the best vendors, and maybe could have found less expensive options. At any rate, I did opt for the convenience of a complete package.

10lbs will easily last me 2-3 months, summer aside (when it is too hot to regularly go out). I estimate 2 or 3 recharges a year. It is okay.

Vendors and turn-key packages aside, I am very pleased with the C02 solution as a whole.

I was able to reseat a bead with no fuss or issue. I did a test run in my garage, by breaking the bead on my spare.

And not having to mess around with an air compressor in 100 heat for ~20 minutes after a trail run, priceless. :)

olly hondro

mad scientist
I don't have my 20 lb tank refilled; Praxair simply exchanges mine for a full one. I use a fixed 115 psi regulator = great for running pneumatic tools on the trail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles