Please talk me out of my irrational desire for a Disco

Howski

Think you may be making a bit much of it at this point but keep an eye on it. I usually run around 186-188 and have gotten to the mid 190's in warm conditions in stop/go traffic. Your temps seem pretty reasonable

Longtallsally

Adventurer
Yeah, they are acceptable, but just that: acceptable. I'd think with all the cooling system stuff I've done, they would be lower.

Just out of curiosity, what oil are you running?

In the back of my head is the fact that I do still have the P1118 code which makes me think the temps I'm getting aren't real in the first place...

jymmiejamz

Adventurer
When the top end of my 4.6 let go (in this case slipped sleeve), exhaust and coolant started mixing-it was apparent in the expansion tank.

The sleeve has nothing to do with the cooling system, but you probably had a cracked block.

Ray_G

Explorer
The sleeve has nothing to do with the cooling system, but you probably had a cracked block.

You sir are correct; the sleeve let go (among a variety of other unfortunate things) that eventually led the crack. Was rather sad, truck was phenomenal in that form.
Ironic too since the preceding 4.0 had the head go-and thus the same exhaust/coolant opportunity. All the more painful because it happened at the worst MAR ever.

Longtallsally

Adventurer
Ah the hilarious saga that is owning a Disco. It is doing a wonderful job as a comfy commuter- and as the weather starts to get wintery, it's nice to know th components are working- but alas another issue. The cruise control stopped working again. I'm pretty sure it's a vacuum leak under the hood as it was a slow death by not holding speed on the way home tonight, but a bummer I have to mess with it again. Oh well.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Ah the hilarious saga that is owning a Disco. It is doing a wonderful job as a comfy commuter- and as the weather starts to get wintery, it’s nice to know th components are working- but alas another issue. The cruise control stopped working again. I’m pretty sure it’s a vacuum leak under the hood as it was a slow death by not holding speed on the way home tonight, but a bummer I have to mess with it again. Oh well.

Ha what's cruise control?

Longtallsally

Adventurer
Figured it out. Heard clicks when I pushed the buttons I actually heard clicks at the controller in the footwell, so I knew it was under the hood. The actuator has tanked based on these before and after pics it seems that it is not holding vacuum any longer. $110 for it through Atlantic British. Sheesh, I thought it would be a $20 part. Ah well...

IMG_1801-X3.jpg

IMG_1802-X3.jpg

Oh yeah, I figured out my oil leak too. The PO had a new oil pan gasket put in and I see where it did not seat correctly. So I'm debating putting a new one in as well.

Last edited:

Longtallsally

Adventurer
Tragedy has struck. A tire went down on the outside- I think it was the rear- and it started to go. I throttled the whole time and the tire must have have come off the bead and by the time it hit the dirt, it bit and over I went.

The exercise will continue as ive decided to get another one. The good news is I am one of the cool kids now and have a parts truck. Based on the value I'd get from insurance, I didn't even bother contacting them and just had it towed to the house.

IMG_1811-X2.jpg

IMG_1814-XL.jpg

Boss Hog

Observer
I'm sorry to see this, but glad you're ok. Your thread is one of a few that pulled me into LR ownership. Hope you get back on the road soon...

Longtallsally

Adventurer
Yeah, not even close to injuries- was only going 10 mph when it went over. But thanks nonetheless.

I've got a line on a couple possibles. I might step up to the 4.6 this time, but still haven't decided.

Longtallsally

Adventurer
Well, my masochism seems to know no end. I fly to LA on Saturday to do yet another fly and drive. This one is an ‘00 SE with fewer miles a better body, but paint is about the same. I'll post pictures once I get it.

Issues I know of on this one are:
- 3 amigos (OF COURSE- and oh the irony based on this thread)
- Cracked windshield (it's heated and I'm debating replacing with a heated one with the arctic freeze approaching)
- sounded like a dodgy window regulator

I still have to do a detailed inspection to confirm everything else, but now that I am MUCH better equipped to know what I'm getting into, I should be able to make it back OK. In terms of things unknown at this point are if the cruise control works, the CD changer under the seat, and just other sundry functions.

I'm taking the iCarsoft code reader so I can figure out what is causing the Amigos (it's P1590, so I'm guessing a WSS that I'll already have) as well as a good number of tools and if I can fit it in a suitcase, the front driveshaft from the other one. I'm bringing the Ultragauge as well as the dongle for the phone application to confirm temps are in the safe zone before I take off.

Otherwise, I've got a slew of parts to transfer over like brakes, the rack, stereo, etc. once I get it home. The only thing I'm bummed about is that it doesn't have rear AC or jump seats, but obviously I have free versions of that sitting in my garage right now, so when I feel the need to wrench, I can do that stuff.

Longtallsally

Adventurer
Happy New Year to all!

So the adventure continues! The one described above ended up being a total bust and pretty bad. I offered him the appropriate price, but no dice. Thankfully, I had a couple back ups in the area and ended up with a real winner. BY FAR the nicest one I've looked at and the price was pretty fair. Ironically it was at a little used car lot in North Hollywood (usually the curse of death for a machine like this). The lot was linked to a BMW dealer, and think this was a satellite lot as a machine this old is generally not good for a high end dealer to have. My theory is that this was a trade in when someone finally grew weary of big repair bills.

Along those lines, the thing absolutely was cared for. The paint is in darn nice shape and the leather is really in great shape too. But it must have been cared for as the tell tale sign of a Disco being owned by someone who either knew, or cared is by the cooling system. Going down the road, it actually runs cooler than the black one, so it most likely already has a 180F t stat. I'll probably still flush as I don't know if it has Dexcool or not (I'm on the side that stuff is a bad idea). Also, just the general care and condition of everything denotes it was probably garaged most of its life. The friggin frame doesn't even have any surface rust!

And the coup de grace is that it has the most options I've ever seen on a Disco, and most all work, including the air bags!!!!! Heated windshield, Harmon Kardon stereo (changer isn't working, but don't care as I'll be putting in a head unit pretty much immediately), jump seats, rear AC, ACE, etc. Also, it's a non-SAI machine, so a bit more simple in that regard. For the ~800 mile drive home, it even got 17 mpg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I slept in it for a few hours and that wasn't even too horrible for my goony goo goo butt. It even came with 2 brand new, programmed keys! The sunroof shades are al functional as well. The headliner is sagging a scoshe, but that is almost to be expected.

I'll have more pics later, but here are a few just after I pulled into the drive.

IMG_1829-X2.jpg

IMG_1830-X2.jpg

IMG_1832-X2.jpg

IMG_1834-X2.jpg

IMG_1835-X2.jpg

Here was the only cosmetic bummer. The rack will cover this for the most part, so I'll take it given the condition of it otherwise.

IMG_1826-X3.jpg

I think I pretty much hit a home run, but it still has a few minor things to resolve:
- condenser fan is out (it's winter here, so I don't need to resolve for a couple months- and have the part anyway)
- sunroofs are both basically inoperative (adjustments- I don't think they are broken)
- both front door lock actuators are out
- fan clutch (on the road, it's PERFECT, but climbs to 201 idling right away)
- cruise control (ironically, I think it's the same issue as the last one, so I have a brand new actuator to install already)
- tires (pretty badly dry rotted, so it won't be driven again until I get those)
- a couple really minor interior things (a vent spring to hold it in place, clock LCD is wonky, driver's side illumination for the temp in the HVAC, bezel for heated seats and windows, e brake boot)
- need to add some PS fluid I think, but need to learn more about the ACE system and what to expect

Um, that's it. For an 18 year old machine from a little used car lot for less than I paid for the other one, I'd say winner winner chicken dinner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne