Plumbing/electrical system design assistance

I'm working up the courage to build a composite box camper on a Ford Transit chassis, similar in style to the Aeon Rv or the one Total Composites built. One stumbling block for me are the electrical and plumbing systems which are not strong skill areas for me. I had run across a company who was offering services in that area and could help with the design process of the RV systems. Does anyone know that outfit or recall seeing it online? Thanks for any help.

mexjtc

We are using Thomas at FabHabs to design our habitat. He has been a pleasure to work with. He is designing all the systems. However, we still need to put it all together.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We are using Thomas at FabHabs to design our habitat. He has been a pleasure to work with. He is designing all the systems. However, we still need to put it all together.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks so much. This looks like a very good resource and exactly the kind of help I was hoping for. Much appreciated.

ReluctantTraveler

How funny... I actually just came here to post on this very topic today!

I'm specifically curious about where/how to install electrical and plumbing.

With traditional framing, you'd just run it in the walls and put batt insulation around the pipes and wires. But in a panel build (whether it's composite, sandwich, or whatever), that's not possible.

I've seen videos showing that electrical can be run...
  • Between panels
  • In conduit embedded in a panel (in the foam)
  • In conduit outside the panels
Water pipes are a bit more elusive for me, because of their size and what not.

My current floor design has water needs on both sides of the camper. What's the best way to get water from the tank on one side to the source on the other (or vice versa for gray water)?
  • Just run the pipes across the ceiling?
  • Build a small box/channel to hide them along the front or back wall?
  • Build a small basement for them to run through?
In my case, I'm hoping to do winter camping as well, so they need to sit inside the camper to keep them warm.

1000arms

How funny... I actually just came here to post on this very topic today!

I'm specifically curious about where/how to install electrical and plumbing.

With traditional framing, you'd just run it in the walls and put batt insulation around the pipes and wires. But in a panel build (whether it's composite, sandwich, or whatever), that's not possible.

I've seen videos showing that electrical can be run...
  • Between panels
  • In conduit embedded in a panel (in the foam)
  • In conduit outside the panels
Water pipes are a bit more elusive for me, because of their size and what not.

My current floor design has water needs on both sides of the camper. What's the best way to get water from the tank on one side to the source on the other (or vice versa for gray water)?
  • Just run the pipes across the ceiling?
  • Build a small box/channel to hide them along the front or back wall?
  • Build a small basement for them to run through?
In my case, I'm hoping to do winter camping as well, so they need to sit inside the camper to keep them warm.
I wouldn't put the effort in to creating channels in the walls for wiring or for plumbing.

Why make the effort to screw up a perfectly good floor/wall/roof while making it harder to keep pipes warm AND reducing the insulation pipes have from the outside temperatures? :cool:

I suggest you run pipes and wires where they can be easily be inspected and kept warm. Doing so will also allow for easy additions to your plumbing and wiring systems. Just mount things where your small dog won't be tempted to chew anything, or your kids for that matter. :cool:

You could put the wiring in conduit without ruining the Millennium Falcon look! :cool:

Last edited:
I wouldn't put the effort in to creating channels in the walls for wiring or for plumbing.

Why make the effort to screw up a perfectly good floor/wall/roof while making it harder to keep pipes warm AND reducing the insulation pipes have from the outside temperatures? :cool:

I suggest you run pipes and wires where they can be easily be inspected and kept warm. Doing so will also allow for easy additions to your plumbing and wiring systems. Just mount things where your small dog won't be tempted to chew anything, or your kids for that matter. :cool:

You could put the wiring in conduit without ruining the Millennium Falcon look! :cool:
This was my thinking exactly. Having owned a few campers I’d prefer to have easy access to wiring and plumbing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online