Point Five Ambo Build

patoz

Expedition Leader
Ok guys, who wants to play, 'What's in the box?'

Hint...it's something for my ambo/camper conversion project.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Generator?
Yup! 521715

I have been planning all along to use a Honda EU3000I that I have, but I bought an enclosure for the tongue to put it in and after some careful measuring I discovered the Honda is too tall, and won't fit once it's mounted on a slide out tray.

My good friend Bob Renz is mounting a Cummings Onan Microlite 4000 RV generator on his rig, the 'Fam-bulance'. We have discussed it quite a bit and not to be out done by him 😁, I jumped on eBay and found a lightly used model with 288 hours on it. Both of these generators are gasoline fueled, which means I only have to deal with one fuel type except for small amounts of propane for cooking and heating water. Plus, I plan on installing a 20 - 25 gal. gas tank under the camper trailer, which will also serve as an emergency fuel backup for my truck, aka tow vehicle. I had thought about using a propane fueled model, but gasoline is much easier to find after any kind of disaster than propane, which is part of this trailer's purpose. Propane doesn't go bad like gasoline does, so it's a trade-off of sorts.

Anyway, this is what I got... It's a 2014 Commings Onan RV QG 4000 EVAP model, with automatic choke and electric start.

The Onan is only 14.5” high, whereas the Honda is 22.0” high, so it would fit in the existing box I already have, therefore no more expense there.

Pros and cons of both.

1. Rope start in case of an emergency -
a. Onan - no
b. Honda - Yes

2. Fuel Consumption - The Onan uses almost twice what the Honda does, but delivers 1,000 more watts.
a. Onan - Full load - .71 gph, half load - .48 gph.
b. Honda - Full load - .48, half load - .24 gph.

3. Weight -
a. Onan - 178 lbs. wet
b. Honda - 153 lbs. wet

4. Noise level -
a. Onan - 68 dB(A) @ 10 ft.
b. Honda - 57 dB(A) @ rated load, 50 dB(A) @ 1/4 load. I believe Honda does their test at 26’.