Polaris RZR XP Turbo Build Off Vehicle

finalfinish

I'm certainly no expert in utv gas mileage, but I think any additional fuel storage would be the first step in setting one up for travel. A full factory tank can normally last a whole day crawling and offroading. It's not usually an issue because that is usually what these are built for. I honestly think at least double whatever the factory tank is would be a good place to start for something that could be a weekend long type trail rig.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

bmzero

Observer
I'm certainly no expert in utv gas mileage, but I think any additional fuel storage would be the first step in setting one up for travel. A full factory tank can normally last a whole day crawling and offroading. It's not usually an issue because that is usually what these are built for. I honestly think at least double whatever the factory tank is would be a good place to start for something that could be a weekend long type trail rig.

The stock fuel tank holds about 8 gallons. Doubling that capacity is not a problem. Two 5 gallon cans are easy to transport. I will probably take simplicity over convenience and plan on cans over a pump system.

Holger

Observer
Maybe some fancy bar work for the trailer and some borrowed aspects of the military RZR version like the heavy duty storage tray in the rear and the fuel/ water canisters...
16112137d1817d65e07feea30c856afb.jpg

Last edited:

Bdk

I'm sure you have some clutch work planned but I think belt failure is going to be your biggest obstacle. The gear reduction in the portal hubs should offset the large & heavy tires your planning to run but the transmission in the Rzr XP's just aren't designed to pull a trailer. You might look into a duraclutch setup or something similar that keeps the belt engaged and some sort of a CVT blower and temp sensor. Another added benefit of the duraclutch will be better engine braking which will be very helpful when trying to slow a trailer. I would also recommend some sort of trailer braking, maybe surge brakes similar to what the ATV Wagon trailers use.

bmzero

Observer
I run a CVT blower in the race car, but I'm not sure the turbo will need it yet. It has a new primary design and a more robust cooling system. Pulling a trailer is uncharted territory for the turbo, so only testing time will tell.

CDA44A0C-F5F8-4A06-B9E7-263CCE435781-s.jpg

Trailer braking is definitely on the to-do list.

bmzero

Observer
Yes, tons of updates, but nothing I can really share. The details of the build will not be public until Dec 20. Sorry to be a tease.

I can tell you that a super nice Apex Ultra trailer by Mig Trailers will be here tomorrow. I can't wait to see it in person. I'll get some photos of it and post them up soon.

http://www.migtrailers.com/apex-ultra.html

kells11515

Here is my two cents worth.

I'd get rid of the tray/tub/bed thing on the back of the RZR and replace it with something similar to the MRZR like Holger mentioned.

This way it looks like you'd have a more practical area for storage in that its flat.

With sideboards you could mount bags, jerry cans and other accessories on the sides.

With a flat tray at the back you could put some space case style boxes in there like these ones. http://www.pelican.com/spacecase/

I had space cases on my ute and they were dust and waterproof and if I wanted to put something else on my tray I'd just take them off.

If the roof top tent becomes to problematic I'd get a swag and maybe a vehicle mounted awning.

Anyway I hope it goes well. Looking forward to seeing the end result.

bmzero

Observer
December 20th has come and gone. Can we get some pics/details now?

You're right, Dave. It is done and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. I do want to post some photos but I cannot until January 4th, when the voting starts.

Trust me, if you're on this forum, you're going to love this thing. I'm still going to be adding product and finishing touches to it for the next few weeks. After January 4th, I'll be posting frequent updates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles