Pole to Pole expedition

Hopefully the chase truck is electric. I cant imagine using a gas or diesel chase truck would conflict with their intent to reduce carbon footprint.

"The expedition aims to raise awareness of electric vehicles’ critical role in reducing our carbon footprint."

I get the idea behind these types of "tests" but it seems a majority is a publicity tactic marked as altruistic public service.

I really hope they learn something that makes electric vehicles not become trash in the cold trying to tow something. There have been quite a few videos of the Ford Lightning and Rivian having much more issues in the cold than some other electric. Once coupled with a camper or trailer in frigid temps the truck becomes almost unusable in many cases. Lose 30% to cold, lose 30% to tow aero and you maybe have 100 miles if your lucky.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Next stop Alberta Canada where we install the box on a 6x6. F350 . After that, straight to the North Pole!

Attachments

• 333262874_736094394804745_5583880686348894752_n.jpeg
    333262874_736094394804745_5583880686348894752_n.jpeg
    319.5 KB · Views: 27

Victorian

Just on my way back to our home base in Victoria. Edmonton was certainly way too cold for my taste LOL . I only have limited info I can share about the actual expedition ( hey it’s an actual EXPEDITION!!! ) . Best if you follow the team for more info as they release it. All I can say: the team is awesome and the really knows what they are doing. Sadly, I missed the Nissan.
5B8068EA-2E6E-4208-A607-BAB095F0A297.jpeg

Victorian

They are getting closer to the Pole! The team members are loving the camper. No more tailgating for meals and sitting in a cramped drivers cab to stay warm.
97EBCCED-832A-4C45-82C2-BF4936EA4B6C.jpeg

Victorian

Just came across this picture from Chris at Pole To Pole. Looks like they made it to the North Pole and everything is holding up/performing as promised! DE0B465B-1E38-4523-B365-73EE8368C8DF.jpeg

Victorian

We had the pleasure hosting Chris and Julie for a couple days. True explorers and adventurers! The challenges and difficulties they encountered high up in the Arctic are impressive. Tons of knowledge gained to make EV vehicles better. I have seen videos of them doing some extreme off roading with this pretty much stock Nissan.

Read about their recap here: chasing-dreams-breaking-boundaries-making-history-reflecting-on-our-arctic-adventure

345437862_637603351173467_6535680966729814550_n.jpeg345922536_196751766512487_3418866544407000069_n.jpeg

Trail Talk

After reading the expedition blog, I found this very nifty site from NOAA that tracks the historic movement of magnetic north from the 16th century to present. Although I haven't found a historical connection, it was a practical move for the expedition to pick the year 1823 as their starting location of magnetic north. The green dot is magnetic north as of 2021, heading to Siberia:

Screen Shot 2023-05-18 at 9.26.31 AM.png

Here it was in 1823:

Screen Shot 2023-05-18 at 9.27.27 AM.png

The first leg of their "pole to pole" was an out and back from Cambridge Bay, Nunavut, to tag the 1823 magnetic pole. The 2nd leg was to head from Cambridge Bay to Yellowknife NWT. We travelled a small portion of that route this winter.

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I had the pleasure to meet them at the Overland Rally. I know there is a lot of "concerns" here about their expedition but I must admit that I was extremely impressed by their modesty and skills.

This is not an all-out corporate sponsored expedition. It's truly just a normal couple who decided to do something special.
They gave a presentation on Friday night in front of a full audience. They explained how they 'cut their teeth' by being the first ones to do the Mongol Rally with an electric car (and having to beg and borrow power using Google Translate every day...).

Arctic Trucks did support them for the leg from the Magnetic North Pole to Yellowknife, but they are on their own now until they reunite at the bottom of South America.

IMG_0879.JPG

Nissan did provide a vehicle but that's about the extent of it. The car is not as modified as you would think. The suspension is mostly stock. They essentially cut the fenders to accommodate the larger tires and that's it.
They don't even have a real fridge in the car.

I am going to go ahead and say that's this is one of the most genuine overland journey I have seen in a while.

Victorian

I had the pleasure to meet them at the Overland Rally. I know there is a lot of "concerns" here about their expedition but I must admit that I was extremely impressed by their modesty and skills.

This is not an all-out corporate sponsored expedition. It's truly just a normal couple who decided to do something special.
They gave a presentation on Friday night in front of a full audience. They explained how they 'cut their teeth' by being the first ones to do the Mongol Rally with an electric car (and having to beg and borrow power using Google Translate every day...).

Arctic Trucks did support them for the leg from the Magnetic North Pole to Yellowknife, but they are on their own now until they reunite at the bottom of South America.

View attachment 783898

Nissan did provide a vehicle but that's about the extent of it. The car is not as modified as you would think. The suspension is mostly stock. They essentially cut the fenders to accommodate the larger tires and that's it.
They don't even have a real fridge in the car.

I am going to go ahead and say that's this is one of the most genuine overland journey I have seen in a while.

100%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94