Pongo, The story of our 2016 Tacoma

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
34781397006_0604a5cb54_z.jpg

I had East Coast Gear Supply in Raleigh NC install 4.88s front and rear, and as of today, I've completed my 500 mile break in procedure, and now will change the diff fluid, and get to really
enjoy the benefits re-gearing will offer.

Thus far I can say when the throttle is pushed, when taking off normally from a stop, the change immediately can be felt. The truck just feels more like
it wants to go. Driving around town, the added pep can be noticed, and when driven on the highway it does way better. To this point I probably haven't gotten
over 40-50% throttle, but have already noticed a big improvement. Fuel mileage has also increased as an added benefit, but I would like to check it over multiple tanks,
and compare to get a better idea on how much it's increased.

This past weekend we got a really good start to a bed slide-out/storage setup using 60" locking slides. Should have it buttoned up this coming weekend and be able to
share some pics.

Hopefully, after this next weekend, I'll be able to share some pics of the bed slide storage system that we built to go in Pongo.

Arten Fab

34781397006_0604a5cb54_z.jpg

I had East Coast Gear Supply in Raleigh NC install 4.88s front and rear, and as of today, I've completed my 500 mile break in procedure, and now will change the diff fluid, and get to really
enjoy the benefits re-gearing will offer.

Thus far I can say when the throttle is pushed, when taking off normally from a stop, the change immediately can be felt. The truck just feels more like
it wants to go. Driving around town, the added pep can be noticed, and when driven on the highway it does way better. To this point I probably haven't gotten
over 40-50% throttle, but have already noticed a big improvement. Fuel mileage has also increased as an added benefit, but I would like to check it over multiple tanks,
and compare to get a better idea on how much it's increased.

This past weekend we got a really good start to a bed slide-out/storage setup using 60" locking slides. Should have it buttoned up this coming weekend and be able to
share some pics.

Hopefully, after this next weekend, I'll be able to share some pics of the bed slide storage system that we built to go in Pongo.

Very interested in what you've discovered with the gearing change. What did you use to recalibrate the speedo/odo?
I have a '17 DCSB w/auto that will be running 285/75-16's and 255/85-16 depending on the trip. Definitely underwhelmed with the stock gearing and performance...

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
Very interested in what you've discovered with the gearing change. What did you use to recalibrate the speedo/odo?
I have a '17 DCSB w/auto that will be running 285/75-16's and 255/85-16 depending on the trip. Definitely underwhelmed with the stock gearing and performance...

The speedometer receives the vehicle speed signal from the skid control ECU, so it was unaffected by the gear swap. The more I drive it, the happier I am with it.

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
Do you have enough experience yet to recommend the 4.88 or a 4.56 ?

On the new E-locker, the only option is 4.88 at this time. That being said, with the 3.5L I think the 4.88 is perfect with the 285/70r17s, and I personally
wouldn't want the want the 4.56s even if they were an option at this time on the Off Road model tacomas w/automatic trans.

ccarr

I was trying to decide between the SR5 and the Off Road. I wanted a locking rear differential, whether it be an air locker, or e-locker I didn't really care.
When I started comparing the two, and the options I knew my wife would want(upgraded radio among others) the SR5, and Off Road were within $1000 of
each other. I couldn't buy a locker and install it for that, so I went with the Off Road.

We continued to be in awe of the San Juans, and were able to camp in some of the most beautiful places we could imagine.
29931442453_c1d286c097_c.jpg

29711500312_14e57bdc88_c.jpg

29197039174_904cb136fa_c.jpg

The scenery never ends, even though our trip soon would.
29789068776_6e6fa62fcd_c.jpg

30528470596_ff0642931a_c.jpg

The reality of having to go back to the daily grind started to creep back into our subconscious. With a heavy heart we folded the roof top tents
one last time before heading back east to North Carolina.

Mind sharing details on where you camped in the San Juans? I'm always looking for new secluded places to camp and those look awesome!

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
For the bed storage setup, we wanted to come up with a way to reach the deepest part of the bed without having to
crawl in. We mocked it up, ordered the components we'd need and got to work. Here is our almost complete
bed slide. I say almost, because we'll be adding tie-downs, and some additional mounts for items.

34219993343_ce10cdd320_z.jpg

We've been running the Snomaster Expedition Series 75L fridge/freezer for about a month now. This thing is
a well built beauty. It's a shame to cover up the shiny stainless housing, but I do like the transit cover installed
to both protect the housing, and add an extra thermal layer. The wireless fridge remote makes adjustments while
driving super quick and simple. The included and attached bottle opener has been a hit with everyone who's seen
it.

34643052080_2dea5b8788_z.jpg

Trying to decide what else I want to try to get done before we head back west in a little over a month.

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
We have returned from our trip, and are getting settled back into our daily lives.

It was a blast! Every time we travel, we are fortunate enough to meet awesome people, and see amazing things.
------------

We started out by making our way 35hrs from North Carolina to CBI Off Road Fab in Idaho Falls, ID where the 2 4runners in our team were up fitted

with their newly designed Gen 5.5 4Runner bumpers.

36143586682_18e7dac072_z.jpg

--------------

On the way to Idaho, we dispersed camp a couple hours outside of Denver for one night in the Arapaho & Roosevelt National Forest.
The site was beautiful with the mountains surrounding us, and a large stream nearby where we caught decent sized Rainbow trout. The one real negative
about this site was the 2 footed animals that were in our camp at 2:15AM. Luckily my wife awoke with the sound of their truck idling, and they jumped in
the waiting vehicle and took off when we were exiting our tents. Since then, we have stopped being complacent with camp security, and have taken measures
to ensure we're not caught off guard like that again. My guess...meth heads or equivalent looking for generators or other goods of value being left out for
easy pickings. We do a pretty good job of keeping the trucks locked and anything of value not left out for sticky fingers, and they left with nothing.

-------------
We've got a ton of pics to go through, but in the meantime, I'll post some from the northern desert of Utah.
We were lucky enough to meet up with a friend who is familiar with the area, and showed us around.
We were treated to an amazingly clear night sky, where the milky way kind of blasted through the black emptiness.

36236969056_dff46749f8_z.jpg

35444240214_c2fe041a70_z.jpg

35503287453_4779dcca1a_z.jpg

36268993046_e00972ed5e_z.jpg

36175698531_a42ddf1291_z.jpg

Last edited:

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
Just a little input on wheeling with 4.88 gearing before/after:

Last year, we took our Tacoma on a 6k mile trip, where we wheeled in Idaho and Colorado.
Elevation + Steep climbs/technical trails left very little room for error as the truck struggled pretty hard fully
loaded down. Even when in low range, at elevations over 12k feet the throttle would be fully depressed and engine
RPMs would only raise to 1200-1500 RPMs when climbing from a standstill. On this engine there is almost no torque available at that point.
When encountering obstacles on the trails, this meant wheel speed was required to be able to climb over them.
I'm not a fan of hitting things at even a few MPH(or the damage/lack of precision control that is associate with said speed).

4.88s have basically eliminated that issue. The truck inspires much more off roading confidence, and it can actually make enough
power to accelerate from a stop on an incline at 12k+ ft elevation. There are other off road related benefits that are a nice side effect of the
improved gearing, like cooler transmission fluid temps, and better engine braking on declines when off road, but the improved control itself
was worth the swap regardless of the much improved daily driving characteristics.

Adventurous

Explorer
Just a little input on wheeling with 4.88 gearing before/after:

Last year, we took our Tacoma on a 6k mile trip, where we wheeled in Idaho and Colorado.
Elevation + Steep climbs/technical trails left very little room for error as the truck struggled pretty hard fully
loaded down. Even when in low range, at elevations over 12k feet the throttle would be fully depressed and engine
RPMs would only raise to 1200-1500 RPMs when climbing from a standstill. On this engine there is almost no torque available at that point.
When encountering obstacles on the trails, this meant wheel speed was required to be able to climb over them.
I'm not a fan of hitting things at even a few MPH(or the damage/lack of precision control that is associate with said speed).

4.88s have basically eliminated that issue. The truck inspires much more off roading confidence, and it can actually make enough
power to accelerate from a stop on an incline at 12k+ ft elevation. There are other off road related benefits that are a nice side effect of the
improved gearing, like cooler transmission fluid temps, and better engine braking on declines when off road, but the improved control itself
was worth the swap regardless of the much improved daily driving characteristics.

That low end grunt and improved engine braking have me seriously considering a set of 4.88s for my 2015. I haven't run into issues with having to hit obstacles at speed but do have to use the brakes a bit more than I'm comfortable with going downhill. Good to hear your thoughts on that matter as a vehicles power delivery certainly feels different at 10,000'+ compared to sea level or even Denver.

08Silverado

Adventurer
Are you still liking the OME setup? I’m trying to figure out what suspension I went to run. Are you using the OME coils shocks and Dakar leaf pack?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94