Poor MK Quality Control!!!! Again!

bboeding

I recently made the mistake of spending nearly $300 on 3 pair of pants......

They arrived today. Weight of canvas on the mountain pants is much cheaper / lighter.

Most comically.....the "flannel" (actually cheap Chinese cotton) lined Jeans came with out a button hole...... That's right. I've seen better quality in $10 True Religion knock-offs in Shanghai.

Good luck!
Brian BoedingPoor MK Quality Control.jpg

Last edited:

bboeding

The Cambodian made ones I have from several years ago are significantly better......

Don't let the Jackson Hole, Wyoming tags fool you. There is nothing U. S. about this product.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
I gave up on MK and went back to Carhartt....the no button hole is pretty funny and MK should give you your money back on all 3 pairs. I would get my money back and move on to another company.

fjtoyman

Sort of matches my experiences with MK. Length WAY too long, waist size wildly wrong, etc. No more. I do like carrhart and dickies.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Robin Masters

That's unfortunate.

Not to contradict, but just to offer my experience, I bought my first MK products a few months ago in the form of 2 pairs of the Original Mountain Pants (one lined and one un-lined). Between the 2 pairs I found the sizing to be consistent, and the quality thus far has been perfect as far as I can tell. I love them.

bboeding

///// My email to the MK CS team \\\\\\

Jeanne,

At the end of the day, your suppliers and lack of quality control (whether in China or wherever they are being shipped from) will sadly hurt MK's business.

Take a look at my order from June 2011 & see what percentage of it was returned (I think 4 items out of 9) & this current order I will for sure return 1 (perhaps 2) items out of 3. That's not a sustainable business model. I spend a great deal of time in Asia, India & Europe & usually end up with a bespoke item of clothing from each trip. Thus, I have become spoiled at good fits & stickler for quality.

Here's what I suspect is happening (different Chinese tailors / fabric vendors try this often). Your buyers are being sold on one particular weight of fabric & they'll put their best foot forward in the samples your buyers get to choose, but when it comes time for production, MK is being charged (likely $40 USD) for something that is in the $20 quality range. In fact, the thread used & stitch quality on the Camo Mountain Pants is roughly equal to the "True Religion" knock offs I see on a regular basis in Shanghai / Beijing / Hong Kong.

Flannel Lined Mountain Pant
Please do send a return label for them.
The lack of a button hole is the most minor issue (& easiest to fix on my end). The most disappointing thing is the "flannel". The "flannel" is simply some sort of cheap Chinese brushed light weight cotton. It even feels as if there's a smidge of poly in it, but some times that can be deceiving.

Camo Mountain Pant
While I want to return this due to it's light weight fabric & poor stitching I will probably hold on to them for now so I can have them properly reproduced. There is a large fabric market on the west side of the river, south of the French Concession & South of Dongjiadu Rd in Shanghai, where I'm 95% sure that I've seen this exact camo pattern. Next time I'm there I'm going to attempt to find it & compare fabrics.

Freestone Flannel Lined Mountain Pant
I will hold on to these & cut off all the random threads myself, simply because my other 2 pair are nearly worn out & I need a replacement before I could actually have a Filson / Stio pair arrive.

When you send a return label, please either send a UPS one or a USPS one as the nearest FedEx office is a 45 min drive one way. Also, please remove me from your mailing list so I will not be tempted again.

Best Regards,
Brian Boeding

Dr. Cornwallis

Adventurer
I won't be buying anymore MK products. After blowing out the crotch of 3 pairs of camber pants within weeks of purchase, I'm done buying their over priced crap. For a little more or even the same money I can buy an American made pair of pants or at the least a pair of foreign pants that isn't garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OwyheeMagpie

Adventurer and Explorer
Not to state the obvious or anything BUUUUUT...isn't MK the supporting vendor for this "adventure clothing" forum...you'd think they'd chime in...juss say'n...

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
MK went to hell more then a few years ago. I still have my first pair of pants I got from them back in the day but even then, the sizing was a job. a few beers later and what was tight to start off with aint fiting. My fauly really I switched from backbacking to overlanding and got fat hahahaahah
regardless, their product is a joke. I can get two pairs of charharts that last at least a year of heavy use for the same price as one par of pants that falls apart with in months.

Sad Stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier