Pop Top For A Sprinter Van?

Bravo30

I have a 2013 170wb extended body Sprinter van and I’m looking for something like what’s pictured below. I see a lot of pop tops for trucks but can’t find much info on companies that offer them for vans. has anybody seen a pop top on a sprinter van before or now off any companies that offer them? I’m also open to other ideas for pop top type sleeping arrangements.

Attachments

• 482E3F3F-BEED-425F-88E0-D503531525C1.jpeg
    482E3F3F-BEED-425F-88E0-D503531525C1.jpeg
    42.5 KB · Views: 47

Photobug

I was at a Blugrass fest this last summer and saw one of these a full on square pop up. It looked really nice and really expensive. Having owned a VW bus in college, I am huge fan of second floor sleeping. It allows for the whole first floor to be committed to other use. From memory I think the unit I saw had "Colorado" on the pop up. Will look for pictures.

Bravo30

I was at a Blugrass fest this last summer and saw one of these a full on square pop up. It looked really nice and really expensive. Having owned a VW bus in college, I am huge fan of second floor sleeping. It allows for the whole first floor to be committed to other use. From memory I think the unit I saw had "Colorado" on the pop up. Will look for pictures.

That’s our thinking as well. Sleep upstairs and then storage and living space below. My van is about 4’ longer than the van in the video so I’m going to have to give those guys a call and see what they offer.

Bravo30

Here’s a picture of my van. Whatever pop top I find has to also flow with the roof line and look good. I don’t want a hump up there but that’s just what might have to happen seeing how long the van is. Every pop top I’ve seen so far is about 8’ or so

Attachments

• E2884FCC-F76E-4A8E-839C-B40911A244D2.jpeg
    E2884FCC-F76E-4A8E-839C-B40911A244D2.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 36

The Artisan

Adventurer
I will be in prototyping stages in a standalone poptopper. Slant canvas insulated with end frp composite and a hardside full frp composite with carbon fiber corner panels.
Patent pending.
Will market when fully tested.
Kevin

Photobug

Here’s a picture of my van. Whatever pop top I find has to also flow with the roof line and look good. I don’t want a hump up there but that’s just what might have to happen seeing how long the van is. Every pop top I’ve seen so far is about 8’ or so

The one I saw looked very cool very high quality. I don't really remember the details but I guess I did remember the colo in the name. One thing I would do is maximize all the space. While a non uniform bump would look wierd, using the rest of the space for a good roof rack, luggage rack, solar panel would make the van look better and be more useful.

Except for standup height, I don't see any true need for a full length popup. The bed is usually two layer or maybe 3. You can stack them or flip one down, so when you pop up the roof a large part of the area will be stand up height. When you want to go upstairs to sleep you rearrange the bed to be full length, and climb up. On my VW van I used the fridge as a stepping stool. At 20 it was easy at 50 it would be harder. I would design the cabinets below to make climbing up as easy as possible to avoid needing an extra ladder.

Bravo30

The one I saw looked very cool very high quality. I don't really remember the details but I guess I did remember the colo in the name. One thing I would do is maximize all the space. While a non uniform bump would look wierd, using the rest of the space for a good roof rack, luggage rack, solar panel would make the van look better and be more useful.

Except for standup height, I don't see any true need for a full length popup. The bed is usually two layer or maybe 3. You can stack them or flip one down, so when you pop up the roof a large part of the area will be stand up height. When you want to go upstairs to sleep you rearrange the bed to be full length, and climb up. On my VW van I used the fridge as a stepping stool. At 20 it was easy at 50 it would be harder. I would design the cabinets below to make climbing up as easy as possible to avoid needing an extra ladder.

The interior height of my van is around 6’4” or so I’m definitely going to need something sturdy and EASY to climb to get up to the bunk. Good call on the rack and panels. That would help keep the roof line flow and add more storage that’s up and out of the way from prying eyes

Bravo30

i emailed Colorado Camper Van and they were kind enough to send over a few pictures of one of their 170 extended installs. i like how it looks. i think the vans length makes the hump a bit less noticeable. with a set up like this we could sleep upstairs and have a decent sized shower with plenty of room for storage inside the van.

https://www.coloradocampervan.com/

GlenStanley

I just had my top done by Colorado Camper Van in October. It's everything I was hoping for & more!!! They do a great job and are very easy to work with. I just got home from 4 days in the desert with a couple of those days having winds of 30-35 mph & gusts even higher. They had told me this would be about the limit for having the top fully extended in strong winds. The top held up with no problems. In fact, it hardly moved, didn't make much noise at all (no flapping of the canvas), and I never felt like it was even close to having a problem. I did park the van so the wind hit it at roughly a 45 degree angle to the right rear corner, thinking that the wind would hit and split each direction rather than hitting the van broadside.

MSD

Well Known Xplor’r
The only company in the USA that will put a pop top on a high roof van - Sprinter, Promaster or transit is Colorado Camper Van. GTRV or SMB will not do it. WE are the only shop and we've been doing it for years. That being said I'm sure there have been home builds, but as a company we are the only ones doing it.

ericvs

i emailed Colorado Camper Van and they were kind enough to send over a few pictures of one of their 170 extended installs. i like how it looks. i think the vans length makes the hump a bit less noticeable. with a set up like this we could sleep upstairs and have a decent sized shower with plenty of room for storage inside the van.

If you put an awning on the side and a storage box behind the pop top or something, it would help to 'hide' the hump part of the roof when it is closed. I have also seen a roof rack that attaches to the roof and not the pop top (it stays down when you pop the roof) so you can mount and awning and lights etc and stuff to it, but I can't find the picture at the moment. This would also help hide the hump when the roof is closed.

dangerbus

BryDanger
We just started offering these SCA pop tops as an option in our full/custom ZENVANZ builds and so far have been VERY impressed with the fit and quality!
Paint matching it to the clients van right now but can post more images after final install if anyone in interested!(y)

Sprinter PopTop ZENVANZ.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz